28 bore cartridges

Hi all

I have just brought my 10 year old a 28bore semiautomatic for when we go out pigeon shooting, it’s brand new and it will not even attempt to cycle light loads like a 14 or 17 gram cartridge it will do a 28gram load ok dose this seem right ?

this is the 2nd gun I have got him and the 1st was exactly the same and was returned as faulty any body have any ideas on how to make a lighter load work 

thanks in advance 

I have a few different cartridges some 65mm and 70mm both sizes in lighter and heavier loads neither of the two guns would do a 65mm case bizarrely for some reason but it will only cycle a 28gram in the 70mm not a 28g in the 65mm case .. how random,

I don’t think it kicks particularly hard for a smaller gun if you are local you are more than welcome to come have a try 

4 minutes ago, Spower said:

My father in law has the cre8 and it cycles 24gram Eley VIP cartridge faultlessy. 

They certainly hit the pigeons hard aswell. Had some good birds roosting last week with my 28. 👍🏻

What cartridges are you using? Are they the same as your father in law? 

12 minutes ago, Steve brownell said:

I have a few different cartridges some 65mm and 70mm both sizes in lighter and heavier loads neither of the two guns would do a 65mm case bizarrely for some reason but it will only cycle a 28gram in the 70mm not a 28g in the 65mm case .. how random,

I don’t think it kicks particularly hard for a smaller gun if you are local you are more than welcome to come have a try 

Thank you for the offer 👍 

Probably is down to that case length then, my old a303 wouldn't entertain a 2 1/2" case but would happily cycle 24g upwards if it was in a 2 3/4 case.

48 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I'm pretty sure @islandgun has one of those, he might be able to help you.

I'd quite like a cre8 for myself with the intention of moving my lad onto it when he's a bit bigger, I wouldn't want to have to keep shoving and Oz through it though, does it kick much?

I thought his was a Remington 1100, he used to post the most brilliant outings rough shooting over his dog :) 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I thought his was a Remington 1100, he used to post the most brilliant outings rough shooting over his dog  

cheers Lloyd very good of you to say, it is the cre8 and it behaves perfectly with 24g homeloads, below is the much used photo of said exploits..😄

252115212_DSCN23981.JPG.d43d54ce45783ad5c930df95536f6e53.JPG.c748cf475d7f666d26bfab1721986e0c.JPG

14 hours ago, Steve brownell said:

Hi all

I have just brought my 10 year old a 28bore semiautomatic for when we go out pigeon shooting, it’s brand new and it will not even attempt to cycle light loads like a 14 or 17 gram cartridge it will do a 28gram load ok dose this seem right ?

this is the 2nd gun I have got him and the 1st was exactly the same and was returned as faulty any body have any ideas on how to make a lighter load work 

thanks in advance 

Assuming the gun is new, it may need a break in period.

Semi auto's are friction operated and if machining isn't perfect, a couple of hundred shots full power loads with, action well lubricated often smooths matters out, as the gun beds in, clean action every 250 shots or so to remove metal shavings.

If you intending to keep gun and continue to use light loads ( anything less than 21g), and there is no adjustible gas regulator or it has insufficent adjustment, opening up the gas ports may be required as this increases the gas energy reaching the spring, properly kicking out the old shell (65mm suffers from gas bypass lowering pressure as 70mm chamber is longer hence poor ejection.)

11 hours ago, islandgun said:

cheers Lloyd very good of you to say, it is the cre8 and it behaves perfectly with 24g homeloads, below is the much used photo of said exploits..😄

252115212_DSCN23981.JPG.d43d54ce45783ad5c930df95536f6e53.JPG.c748cf475d7f666d26bfab1721986e0c.JPG

Fantastic :) are you still getting out? 

I tried to find your old posts on the pic thread but it don't work 😞 

• 2 months later...

Have you stripped and cleaned all the preservation grease out of it. They come coated in thick oily grease some can set like wax.

Full clean and oil the bits that need oil, slide rails for one. Recoil tube spring too.

You should find it'll start to cycle lighter loads. 14 gram is probably too light until it's fully worn in.