Hello from Ireland

SF Pro

Welcome.   What sort of shooting are you involved in?   Nearly everything I know about rural Ireland was gathered from Somerville & Ross and Ballykissangel, and might not be entirely accurate.   About sixty years ago I bought a secondhand copy of "Pot Luck" (Gerald Fitzgerald), and the descriptions of his forays in pursuit of snipe and duck made Ireland sound like a rough shooter's paradise, but I suppose it must have changed a lot since those days.  

2 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Welcome.   What sort of shooting are you involved in?   Nearly everything I know about rural Ireland was gathered from Somerville & Ross and Ballykissangel, and might not be entirely accurate.   About sixty years ago I bought a secondhand copy of "Pot Luck" (Gerald Fitzgerald), and the descriptions of his forays in pursuit of snipe and duck made Ireland sound like a rough shooter's paradise, but I suppose it must have changed a lot since those days.  

I do a bit of Sika and fox shooting.  We (wife and kids) moved from Cork city to a rural part of south Kerry about 12 years ago. I was always into hunting and fishing but never did any shooting until a few years ago. I did a safety and competence course, passed the licence application process bought a gun safe and started off with a .22 air gun, then got a BRNO .22 and am now shooting a Savage .308 for the last couple of years.

There is some bit of snipe and pheasant not far from where I am but from talking to the farmers it wouldn't be as good as it used to be years ago and it's not something I ever had an interest in to be honest. I often see ducks or hares near enough to our house but again I wouldn't be bothered shooting them. There are plenty of Sika around and a few foxes too. As well as myself, the family and friends are fond of the venison and because we keep some poultry and rear a couple of lambs every year the fox has to be kept under control. 

That's about it, I'm not really fanatical. I enjoy hitting a target the odd time. If I never again shot another deer I'd still enjoy getting out for an hour in the morning just before dawn, the scenery is awesome and it's great exercise.

Oh, thanks for all the welcomes!