Pattern test

Well I thought I'd take @oldypigeonpopper up on he's challenge, so here are the results. I paced out 300ft. 

The paper is approx 39" by 39" with a 7" circle in the middle. 

First I have to take my hat off to the franchi, the way this gun handles recoil is excellent, really starting to wish I brought one sooner.

Secondly, a hundred yards is a long way, after reading some of the previous threads and comments on here about those who claim to shoot in that 80 yard plus range I am glad I've seen for myself how cartridges perform. 

Thirdly, full choke is coming out and I very much doubt it will go back in. 

The lightest load managed to put the most shots on the paper....

The express 36g no7 is definitely not a long range load.

IMG-20200214-WA0040.jpg

IMG-20200214-WA0042.jpg

IMG-20200214-WA0041.jpg

IMG-20200214-WA0044.jpg

IMG-20200214-WA0043.jpg

No problem 👍 

I know theres the whole 'use atleast 10 cartridges for an average' etc but I can't see it makes a great deal of difference as each cartridge is an individual snap shot of what any given cartridge is doing.

Before I started I did think about a penetration test but at that sort of distance I was finding shot that had actually stopped in the paper so it seemed a little pointless.

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do the tests and post 😊👍👍👍

No worries 👍 

If I can find some more paper I may well do the 36g AAA i have, Id also like to try some of the metri 100's just to see what they'd do in the real world, don't think they are sold anywhere near me though.

Just now, Farmboy91 said:

No worries 👍 

If I can find some more paper I may well do the 36g AAA i have, Id also like to try some of the metri 100's just to see what they'd do in the real world, don't think they are sold anywhere near me though.

Try 3/4 chokes I’ve rarely got a good pattern from full at range and if you’re in the mood try a cartridge at the 70/80 mark it’ll maybe surprise you 

the cheddite 100 meter ones are a different ballgame totally 😊👍they also do a 60 meter cartridge 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Try 3/4 chokes I’ve rarely got a good pattern from full at range and if you’re in the mood try a cartridge at the 70/80 mark it’ll maybe surprise you 

the cheddite 100 meter ones are a different ballgame totally 😊👍they also do a 60 meter cartridge 

The gun didn't come with 3/4 but as they are Mobil chokes I will keep an eye out for one. I know full choke can end up blowing the pattern but equally half wouldn't be tight enough at that sort of distance. 

I had seen the 60m one aswell, have you used either?

6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

The gun didn't come with 3/4 but as they are Mobil chokes I will keep an eye out for one. I know full choke can end up blowing the pattern but equally half wouldn't be tight enough at that sort of distance. 

I had seen the 60m one aswell, have you used either?

I’ve used a lot of them especially the 60 meter ones 

Although I got a fair slating from some on here who said it was not possible etc etc 

1/2 will be fine for the 100 meter ones 

Edited by Old farrier

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Not trying to put a dampner on your excellent efforts ,but what was the point of the test ? 

If you look through the super game thread, that's what started it, + after all the threads regarding high pheasant shooting, I wanted to see for myself what the cartridges are doing at that sort of distance.

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’ve used a lot of them especially the 60 meter ones 

Although I got a fair slating from some on here who said it was not possible etc etc 

1/2 will be fine for the 100 meter ones 

Thanks for that 👍 I'll keep and eye out for some and put them across the plate, you have a pm too.

Can I make a quick point the cartridge giving the best pattern is listed as a Victory White 35/4 and Mini Mag 40/3 Fibre. These are both in fact plastic wads and I have used both this season where plastic was allowed!

For all the doubters however it shows you do have shot at that range and at 80 yards in 3/4 or 5/8 you will have a far better pattern. No-one has said they go out to shoot 100yd pheasants but the threads and the rumours were allowed to grow. 70-80 yards was where the entire debate on extreme pheasant shooting started with SOME birds killed clean higher than that!

Yes sorry my mistake the Victory white is plastic, for some reason I had it in my head it was fibre but I've just checked the box to confirm.

The white did throw what out of that lot was the most consistent pattern and I have used these in the past for wind shooting and on foxes and found they work well, they are one of my favourites for a bigger load.

When I can I will go back to the 70 yard mark and go again, if I can get a 3/4 choke between now and then I will use both that and full, if I can find enough phone books I may well do a penetration test.

While there is definitely shot out there at that distance, im not overly convinced it has the energy to kill a pheasant outright.

56 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yes sorry my mistake the Victory white is plastic, for some reason I had it in my head it was fibre but I've just checked the box to confirm.

The white did throw what out of that lot was the most consistent pattern and I have used these in the past for wind shooting and on foxes and found they work well, they are one of my favourites for a bigger load.

When I can I will go back to the 70 yard mark and go again, if I can get a 3/4 choke between now and then I will use both that and full, if I can find enough phone books I may well do a penetration test.

While there is definitely shot out there at that distance, im not overly convinced it has the energy to kill a pheasant outright.

Going to give this a go when the weather improves - going to need a decent day as I figure a 6ft square plate is going to be the minimum - just as well oppo is a chippy!  I'm hoping that someone in my step-son's little mob uses the Hull 34g 3.25mm and he can get hold of a handful. I believe that Hull uses V2.5 and if I match it I can nowhere near match their downrange figures. However, P'shot is correct and as there is sufficient energy at the 80 yards by my reckoning - Hull would have it that there's loads to spare at that range - it just leaves the pattern to verify. This is a prime example of pattern failing before penetration

Perazzishot,

If you see this (if no answer, I'll PM you) could you kindly let me know if on the 80 ish yard birds you shoot both cocks and hens?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Going to give this a go when the weather improves - going to need a decent day as I figure a 6ft square plate is going to be the minimum - just as well oppo is a chippy!  I'm hoping that someone in my step-son's little mob uses the Hull 34g 3.25mm and he can get hold of a handful. I believe that Hull uses V2.5 and if I match it I can nowhere near match their downrange figures. However, P'shot is correct and as there is sufficient energy at the 80 yards by my reckoning - Hull would have it that there's loads to spare at that range - it just leaves the pattern to verify. This is a prime example of pattern failing before penetration

Perazzishot,

If you see this (if no answer, I'll PM you) could you kindly let me know if on the 80 ish yard birds you shoot both cocks and hens?

Many thanks

Yes, but will concede that hens and partridge do fold better at these ranges and the move to 3's in December did combat that to a degree.

13 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Yes, but will concede that hens and partridge do fold better at these ranges and the move to 3's in December did combat that to a degree.

:good:Many thanks. Looking into the logistics - mainly the plate for a start - this isn't going to be straight-forward, so let's see if there's any interest.

On 14/02/2020 at 16:37, Farmboy91 said:

No problem 👍 

I know theres the whole 'use atleast 10 cartridges for an average' etc but I can't see it makes a great deal of difference as each cartridge is an individual snap shot of what any given cartridge is doing.

Before I started I did think about a penetration test but at that sort of distance I was finding shot that had actually stopped in the paper so it seemed a little pointless.

Thanks for your experiment and the results I found it really interesting in that we have a little private clay shoot once a month and have had concerns about pellet distance travel but looking at your results we well with in safe limits. 

4 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Thanks for your experiment and the results I found it really interesting in that we have a little private clay shoot once a month and have had concerns about pellet distance travel but looking at your results we well with in safe limits. 

No problem 👍 glad others are able to take something useful away from this. 

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:37, Farmboy91 said:

No problem 👍 

The only problem with this, is that if your aim is off, it will show up when firing multiple shots.

The only other problem is that you paced the 100 yards and didn't measure. You could have been 85 yards or 120 yards away.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:31, The Heron said:

I am not sure how this has helped you. Shotgun pellets can easily travel 300 yards.

As motty says, you need to measure the distance accurately.   I've always guessed 18 inches from finger tip to elbow but in fact it is 19 1/2 on my arm.

The only fear I have is all this talk of shotguns being able to kill pheasants at 80-100yrds will entice shooters to take shots at out of range birds leaving them injured.

Yes, in my clay busting days the safety zone was considered to be outside 300yrds for fall of shot.

Edited by Walker570

16 minutes ago, motty said:

The only problem with this, is that if your aim is off, it will show up when firing multiple shots.

The only other problem is that you paced the 100 yards and didn't measure. You could have been 85 yards or 120 yards away.

No I know, it was far from the perfect test. Just something I wanted to do for myself to see if the pellets were actually going anywhere near where I thought I was aiming at that distance. 

Yeah your probably right, if anything I imagine it was a bit under a 100 yards, I've got no range finding equipment so that was probably the closest I can get, to me it still gives a good perspective on distance. 

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

As motty says, you need to measure the distance accurately.   I've always guessed 18 inches from finger tip to elbow but in fact it is 19 1/2. 

The only fear I have is all this talk of shotguns being able to kill pheasants at 80-100yrds will entice shooters to take shots at out of range birds leaving them injured. 

Yeah I know I'm not bang on, but even 300 of my paces is a long way, further than I personally would ever dream of taking a shot myself.

12 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

No I know, it was far from the perfect test. Just something I wanted to do for myself to see if the pellets were actually going anywhere near where I thought I was aiming at that distance. 

Yeah your probably right, if anything I imagine it was a bit under a 100 yards, I've got no range finding equipment so that was probably the closest I can get, to me it still gives a good perspective on distance. 

Yeah I know I'm not bang on, but even 300 of my paces is a long way, further than I personally would ever dream of taking a shot myself.

Good to hear it.  Not being negative at all and yes it was a good test because it just showed the TRUTH.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Good to hear it.  Not being negative at all and yes it was a good test because it just showed the TRUTH.

No nothings being taken as negative, all comments welcomed as there's always room for improvement in future test. 

If I can get hold of a 3/4 choke I'm going to repeat it at 50 yards/150 of my paces then maybe again at about 70 yards. I've never been a massive fan myself of full choke and only used it in fixed choke guns.