Electric cars

Medic1281

Does any one drive a fully electric car. Our work salary sacrifice scheme has a really good deal on an Audi e-TRON at the moment. The monthly cost, even with high mileage is only just more than what I’m paying each month in fuel on the car that I own. The deal includes everything, so I just add electric! It just seems too good to be true! 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Does any one drive a fully electric car. Our work salary sacrifice scheme has a really good deal on an Audi e-TRON at the moment. The monthly cost, even with high mileage is only just more than what I’m paying each month in fuel on the car that I own. The deal includes everything, so I just add electric! It just seems too good to be true! 

And will cost you a fraction to refuel compared to diesel or petrol. 

Edited by oowee

I certainly don’t think they are the answer to the environmental issues, in fact, I think they’ll make it worse. But I do think it could be the answer for me to commute in comfort, in a quiet, luxury vehicle for no more than what I’m paying now to run my diesel Q5. And I could release the capital I’ve got in my vehicle that I own, and still be no worse off each month.

Yeah don't get me wrong they have there plus sides, the quietness being one, I also like the idea of that instant power. But it won't be long until they are taxed to high heaven once we can't be ripped off for petrol and diesel cars anymore.

I suppose if you can comfortably commute on a charge it's not so bad. The thought of not just being able to fill up would always concern me though.

11 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah don't get me wrong they have there plus sides, the quietness being one, I also like the idea of that instant power. But it won't be long until they are taxed to high heaven once we can't be ripped off for petrol and diesel cars anymore.

I suppose if you can comfortably commute on a charge it's not so bad. The thought of not just being able to fill up would always concern me though.

Best start getting used to it. :good:

The average daily car journey is just 24 mls. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Best start getting used to it. :good:

The average daily car journey is just 24 mls. 

But the family holiday to Devon was much, much more than that.

I can quite comfortably get 370 + to half a tank on a run in the golf, best ever was 401 and it will return the mid 60's to the gallon fully loaded. I seriously hope someone with some sense puts a stop to this electronic nonsense before it's too late.

11 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

But the family holiday to Devon was much, much more than that.

I can quite comfortably get 370 + to half a tank on a run in the golf, best ever was 401 and it will return the mid 60's to the gallon fully loaded. I seriously hope someone with some sense puts a stop to this electronic nonsense before it's too late.

Yep but the electric ones are getting closer and you could always rent a guzzler for that longer trip :lol:

Will be a while, I think, until they do a pick up but who knows? 

What concerns me is if say, 1 million people come home from work at roughly 6pm and charge their cars. The grid wouldn't be able to cope. And thats only a tiny fraction of what could potentially be on the road electric wise. So would we be getting more nuclear power plants or would we have to go grovelling to the EU to sell us some? 

Excellent idea but energy supply will have to be upgraded massively 

32 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

What concerns me is if say, 1 million people come home from work at roughly 6pm and charge their cars. The grid wouldn't be able to cope. And thats only a tiny fraction of what could potentially be on the road electric wise. So would we be getting more nuclear power plants or would we have to go grovelling to the EU to sell us some? 

Excellent idea but energy supply will have to be upgraded massively 

To add to that,take any row of terraced houses where the car's are parked bumber to bumber and often not outside their own house how do charge your car then.

hello, the Goverment want all electric vehicles by 2035, that is 15 years, is this actually achievable ??????????????????, and what do they want everyone to do with millions of petrol and diesel vehicles ?? that is 1 BIG SCRAP YARD or park them out side number 10 and put keys through letter box:lol:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, the Goverment want all electric vehicles by 2035, that is 15 years, is this actually achievable ??????????????????, and what do they want everyone to do with millions of petrol and diesel vehicles ?? that is 1 BIG SCRAP YARD or park them out side number 10 and put keys through letter box:lol:

All cars are not being scrapped. The idea is for all new cars bought from 2035 to be electric, the existing petrol and diesel cars will just carry on being driven, being bought and sold as older cars do now. I’d guess it will be many years before all petrol and diesel ones are off the roads. 

Road fuels sold in the Uk in 2019 was 46.5billion litres, at 10 kwh per litre (on average) energy equivalent , is 465 TWH

UK electricity production in 2018 was circa 350 TWH.

Assuming electric car is twice as efficent per mile (80% efficency compared to 40% of combustion engine), this is 232 Twh.

We would need to add 232 twh to existing electricity production or rought 60% to existing power generation to power all these cars with electricity.

I don't see this happening any time soon, as we are struggling just to replace coal and nuclear that is being decommissioned, never mind adding extra generation.

It can’t and won’t happen , doesn’t matter what sort of infrastructure is put in place the cost to build and time to charge are too great , then there is the problem of where you live it is a tiny percentage of people who can park on there own property, even a drive , so how do all the others run a cable to their car from their terraced house in a busy town , lucky if you even get on your own  street , people in flats , in high rise flats , bedsits over shops , houseboats 

top gear tested an electric Porsche , great in every dept even had a super fast charge system fully charged in twenty minutes , these special high power chargers in the public domain ???? There’s four in the country ! 

Until technology is found that can charge on the move , it’s a limited technology , electric cars great idea but once again not fully thought through, and as mentioned if there does become hundreds of thousands in use can our current power supply and grid work at peak times ?                          Never mind , rant over , think I will give the defender a wash in the morning and a check over , going to need it for a good few years yet ,  

3 hours ago, Konnie said:

What about charge times 

Think motorway services can fill your car in 5min and pay, if a car is electric and taking 20min say to charge the area will need to huge.

How will a service bus run all day.

They are running already. In China they use a battery swap. 

2 hours ago, spurs 14 said:

Until technology is found that can charge on the move , it’s a limited technology , electric cars great idea but once again not fully thought through, and as mentioned if there does become hundreds of thousands in use can our current power supply and grid work at peak times ?                          Never mind , rant over , think I will give the defender a wash in the morning and a check over , going to need it for a good few years yet ,  

It exists now. Inductive put in the road surface to charge as you drive over it. IP is with PWC.