Setting up a variable magnification scope

BADGER.BRAD

Hello all,

I've brought myself a cheap 3-9x40 mildot scope and have a few questions ( at this point I have not had time to use it ) I have no issue zeroing it but wondered about a few other issues,  Am I best to zero at round number 10 rather than 12 meters  ? ( my max garden length) it has a focus adjustment am I to set this up once or will it need setting each time I alter magnification ? When I adjust magnification will this not alter the amount of offset that the mildots create ?  How do I offset this ? The rifle /scope combination will mainly be used in my back garden plinking so will be used in a set, setup but when I finally get to use it at longer distances I would like to at least like to have an idea what I am doing.

Thanks all

First we need to know the calibre and the type of pellets your shooting .?

If its a .22 zero at 10 yds this should give u a secondary zero of 25 yds and a flat trajectory  between them 

If its a .177 zero at 15 yds .this gives a second zero of 30 yds 

And flat between  

When you alter magnification your zero wont alter. But the relationship between the dots below the cross hairs will .

As far as focusing. If its on the rear eyebell then get it clear and leave it alone for ever.

If its on the far end of the scope then focusing at different ranges will be basically the same as binoculars. 

The issue with that is ,it can alter your zero at different focus points .

What i do is ,say i want a 10 /25 yd zero on my .22 .i focus the ret at exactly 25 yds .so the images is clear .

This should mean on your 3-9 x 40 its clear enough (not perfect ) to shoot from say 15 yds -40 yds on 9x 

And on 3 x  from 5 yds  to infinity .

So for most your field shooting 9x and a 25 yds zero shouls do you fine .

As far as the mildots below your zero are concerened  you will have to work those out for your self and how they relate to the trajectory of your pellet .

But i can help if you want .

Download hawke chair gun pro. It'll give you a pretty good idea of aim points. You fiddle about plotting zeros and see what sort of trajectory will suit the situation you want to use the gun. 

You'll need to know pellet weight, barrel to scope center to centre, and pellet velocity in ft/s. You'll need access to a chrono for this and it will also give you a ft/lb figure for your gun.