is weekend

oowee

We have been promised a months rain in two days over the weekend. Yesterday I drove ove the Avon on the M5 and thats already in spate with little capacity. Spent some of today making sure all my ditches are running free and the culvert is clear but it's looking serious. 😟

We are looking at 40-50 mm of rain tomorrow into Sunday.  I walked down to the river (Avon) today and it is well in flood - as is the Severn at Tewkesbury.  Heavy rain in central and north Wales (who are under amber warnings for rain) bring the Severn up.  It wouldn't surprise me if we see levels similar to the last 'big one' of 2007 (which was in the summer).  Tewkesbury Abbey was flooded then - for the first time since 1760 I believe.  I quote the local authority about 2007 here;

"With flood water reaching over two metres in some places, over 1800 homes were flooded within our district. Electricity was lost to 48,000 homes across Gloucestershire for two days. Over half the homes in Gloucestershire and 7,500 businesses were without any mains water for up to 12 days - and 17 days for drinking water."

abbey.jpg?height=260&width=400

Fortunately near where i live the houses (including mine) are all well above the flood plain, but many of the roads flood.

54 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

We are looking at 40-50 mm of rain tomorrow into Sunday.  I walked down to the river (Avon) today and it is well in flood - as is the Severn at Tewkesbury.  Heavy rain in central and north Wales (who are under amber warnings for rain) bring the Severn up.  It wouldn't surprise me if we see levels similar to the last 'big one' of 2007 (which was in the summer).  Tewkesbury Abbey was flooded then - for the first time since 1760 I believe.  I quote the local authority about 2007 here;

"With flood water reaching over two metres in some places, over 1800 homes were flooded within our district. Electricity was lost to 48,000 homes across Gloucestershire for two days. Over half the homes in Gloucestershire and 7,500 businesses were without any mains water for up to 12 days - and 17 days for drinking water."

abbey.jpg?height=260&width=400

Fortunately near where i live the houses (including mine) are all well above the flood plain, but many of the roads flood.

So I can put the Salmon tackle away for the next week or two then? :hmm:

My home town was flooded last weekend ( featured in local and national news ) and is in line for the same again this weekend. 
As a kid I can recall many times I saw gullies, becks, streams and even the river Eden being dredged; it doesn’t happen these days, nor has it happened for many years. 
We see council workers clearing drains....why on earth do we think other waterways don’t need it? 

7 hours ago, Scully said:

My home town was flooded last weekend ( featured in local and national news ) and is in line for the same again this weekend. 
As a kid I can recall many times I saw gullies, becks, streams and even the river Eden being dredged; it doesn’t happen these days, nor has it happened for many years. 
We see council workers clearing drains....why on earth do we think other waterways don’t need it? 

A lot is due to EU directives to protect, restore and return riverine habitats to a more natural state.

Farmers are complaining of saturated fields, towns are flooding, governments and media are telling us that due to the global warming it is only going to get worse, surely then allowing riverine habitats revert back to the old natural state including water meadows [now with housing on them] isnt going to work, we need to get the draglines out.  They say its to expensive ! surely its a tad more expensive to pay for the clear up of the flooded towns, or is the plan that insurance companies [us] pay for the clear up's

5 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Farmers are complaining of saturated fields, towns are flooding, governments and media are telling us that due to the global warming it is only going to get worse, surely then allowing riverine habitats revert back to the old natural state including water meadows [now with housing on them] isnt going to work, we need to get the draglines out.  They say its to expensive ! surely its a tad more expensive to pay for the clear up of the flooded towns, or is the plan that insurance companies [us] pay for the clear up's

Building defences could be moving the flooding problem elsewhere.

Blackpowder

8 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Building defences could be moving the flooding problem elsewhere.

Blackpowder

Agreed,  unless you allow the water to flow all the way back to the sea unhindered, alternatively find a large enough area of agricultural land without houses and allow that to flood, not easy to do anymore !

I cleared out the water drainage gully in my drive yesterday, it was blocked the full length, 3/4 full of silt and leaves! I last cleared it about a year ago.......a small example I know, but I suggest that is why we are seeing more flooding.......the rivers are silting up and because of this shallowing, if there is no dredging taking place, the inevitable will happen!

And I agree, flood barriers only move the problem elsewhere!

Edited by panoma1

13 hours ago, Scully said:

'Cause it's all not done for environmental reasons innit? Happens to save them loads of dosh not doing it too, so win? win?

Same with out of control fires?

Just have to ignore it, stay safe and help other in distress from it? Those in charge don't give a rats beast of burden?

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

And in the wonderful world of the bureaucrats the silt is natural and perfectly safe whilst it is in the drainage channels but becomes dangerous hazardous waste requiring special treatment and disposal once you dig it out.  Go figure

So is this the excuse for not cleaning out the rivers ? cant put it on the land, watermeadows thrived on an annual flood because it contained plenty of nutrients

The straightening of water ways so we can build nice picturesque houses on the banks, this shortens the water course meaning water gets from A to B quicker but if it cannot get out it backs up.

Also in this area not seen a dragline dredger since I was a boy, the salt marsh is now higher than the land inside the sea wall and is pumped out by automatic pumps instead of lock gates, the sea wall needs strengthening now but I guess cannot be touched because it is a sssi , when will common sense come back to be back , too much done by people with degrees rather than experience.