Blue is the colour

clay shooter

I really don’t want to come across as stupid but I just have to get another perspective on my thought trail.....if they avoid blue at all costs why do they take flight at all...the sky is blue (well mainly white/grey in the uk) but I’m sure you can see what I mean. 

On 15/02/2020 at 02:50, clay shooter said:

I visited the university today to hear a lecture on the farmyard and agri  pests. and was informed that the wood pigeon can distinguish blue  colour  and would avoid that at all costs..is that possiblytrue if so then dont wear or show any blue.

That is absolute bull! 😂

10 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

The only thing blue around here is my language ,a) reading this rubbish and b) every time I miss those pesky birds, Oh and there is the cloud of blue smoke rising from my hide as I fry up my bacon and sausages on the old camp stove,

Never a truer work spoke , nowt wrong with bacon / sausage smelling grand behind the net , and sod the birds when it’s breakfast time , lol 😂 

The only colour I think have any effect on the pigeons eyesight is White , and by White I mean decoying when snow is on the ground , I have sat in a bale hide in the middle of a rape field when the crop have been covered in snow and the pigeons don't take a blind bit of notice ( excuse the pun ) of any form of decoys , although it have been that long ago since we have had a fall of snow I can't remember if I ever tried it with a magnet , the last time we had snow was when we had the Beast From The East and I used a magnet from the edge of the wood , although it worked alright there was a lot of soil showing and time I went there was very little snow .

As for pigeons being afraid of Blue , I think with different light and weather conditions they might see colours different to us on certain days , but I have shot in just about every light and weather condition known to man and to be honest I still don't know why some days they decoy well, and the next day in very similar conditions they don't want to know , that is why we enjoy it , isn't it ?, trying to work out all the answers :good:

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I don't always bother with a hide in the snow, just stand in the hedgerow.

When we get it , I love roost shooting in the snow , it seems Pigeons don't show to much notice about someone with there back leaning against a tree trunk , maybe it is because they are keen to get back to roost , or they are getting hungry due to the cold weather, and being in the wood you are catching them off gaurd , that is only a theory and might be way out from the real reason , but then again we can only guess .

I thought that I read somewhere that pigeons are blinded by snow and whilst don't take much notice of man, cannot pick out the decoys too well either, unless an area of say rape is cleared of snow where the decoys are set.

We lads that shot pigeons don’t know what we are talking about a lecturer as told us to we are doing it wrong.

Ruddy bloke as probably never shot a gun never mind sitting in a hide for hours on end waiting for pigeons to decoy 

or he as been out wearing a blue top and had nothing to shoot at and as he as deducted blue is the colour gave him a bad day

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I thought that I read somewhere that pigeons are blinded by snow and whilst don't take much notice of man, cannot pick out the decoys too well either, unless an area of say rape is cleared of snow where the decoys are set.

It often amazes me why these people spend time in trying to find out what colours bird like , what they don't like and what colour play there eyes up , surely the weather conditions play a major role in what they see clearly and what they struggle to see , such as foggy conditions , flying into bright sunshine and dark , stormy skies like we had last Saturday , I am not sure if Spec savers have got the right equipment .

I did watch on one of my video's where a chap was caught in a heavy snow shower while he was decoying , after the shower passed and everything was covered in snow, he got a large branch and swept the area around his decoys of snow and started to pull them in again , the sort of dedication we hear from P C .

On 19/02/2020 at 18:04, marsh man said:

When we get it , I love roost shooting in the snow , it seems Pigeons don't show to much notice about someone with there back leaning against a tree trunk , maybe it is because they are keen to get back to roost , or they are getting hungry due to the cold weather, and being in the wood you are catching them off gaurd , that is only a theory and might be way out from the real reason , but then again we can only guess .

Once there is snow falling and starting to lay the sound muffling effect is wonderful.

im not 100% convinced for 3 reasons.  

1. blue is a massive spectrum from sky blue to dark navy so its a bit broad a statement to be made if it were true

2. nothing im aware off that pigeons have to fear is blue in their natural environment

3. pigeon themselves are a kind of blue/grey and if anything id think they'd associate certain shades as friendly and safe

Edited by Sweet11-87

6 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

im not 100% convinced for 3 reasons.  

1. blue is a massive spectrum from sky blue to dark navy so its a bit broad a statement to be made if it were true

2. nothing im aware off that pigeons have to fear is blue in their natural environment

3. pigeon themselves are a kind of blue/grey and if anything id think they'd associate certain shades as friendly and safe

so what % are you convinced?

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

so what % are you convinced?

less of a % more of a nice way of saying i dont buy it but im also not pigheaded enough to just dismiss it out of hand.  show me the evidence and ill listen to the argument with an open mind. you know the kind of attitude that keeps the human race moving forward. :P