Blue is the colour

clay shooter

28 minutes ago, old'un said:

well lets just say I am 100% convinced that pigeons don’t avoid anything that is blue in colour.

for the record i tend to agree with you. nothing in my experience has made me believe blue is bad for shooting pigeons, but are you not even a little curious to find out how this lecturer arrived at such a theory?. 

i mean its long established pigeons can see ultra violet aka blue light..... maybe its not a case of theyre scared of  blue. maybe  its something about the blue spectrum through their vision makes it more noticeable or something.  i agree with everyone else its about movement but maybe  movement is more forgiving in certain colours than others.

has anyone ever gone over all their hide and shooting gear with a UV light?. feel pretty daft if it turns out you had something made you glow like a streetlight on your hat that you couldn't see wouldn't it.

id like to know more.

to just dismiss things out of hand. whats the point in that.

Edited by Sweet11-87

32 minutes ago, old'un said:

If there were anything to this university lecturers claims that pigeons avoid the colour blue, I think there would be blue bags all over the fields.

so thats it is it?.

hasn't been done in the past and we cannot possible learn new things as everything has already been learned.... wasnt until the 70s that it was discovered that birds can see in the  UV specturm and even some folks on here have been shooting them since before then. Going back to previous comments in this thread thats also the reason they dont react to decoys or shooters  in snow very well. Their already uv  sensitive eyes get saturated with UV reflection from the sun on the snow and it blinds them.........snow blind.... its not  known if it causes lasting damage. but everyone already knew that didnt they....

Edited by Sweet11-87

19 minutes ago, old'un said:

55+ years shooting pigeons tells me pigeons don’t avoid the colour blue.

no doubt you have a great wealth of experience and knowledge. far far more than me by some stretch but unless youre the best at it their is still something to learn form others. even when youre the best you still have have things to be discovered.  that im 100% convinced of.

• 4 weeks later...

the university prof was well known for his experiments on bird behaviour and was adviser to defra

by the way.he has now retired to mold in wales (i think ) and  i now do doubt that.

and say you are right as you have expertise in the subject. Ultra violet light is real in the sight of

pigeons we paint/touch up our decoys with that paint to make them more  viz so thats quit right.

movement is a give away too... BUT WHY do they come to a magnet with 2 decoys .... Just going 

nowhere  just round and round..they must know thats wrong flying 2 flying birds  going nowhere

Surly?? or is it simply that they move... Flash the white wing bar.. And that brings others in 

blue. Colour solved... Try solving magnet decoys....going nowhere. Just round and round ???

Edited by clay shooter

9 hours ago, clay shooter said:

the university prof was well known for his experiments on bird behaviour and was adviser to defra

by the way.he has now retired to mold in wales (i think ) and  i now do doubt that.

and say you are right as you have expertise in the subject. Ultra violet light is real in the sight of

pigeons we paint/touch up our decoys with that paint to make them more  viz so thats quit right.

movement is a give away too... BUT WHY do they come to a magnet with 2 decoys .... Just going 

nowhere  just round and round..they must know thats wrong flying 2 flying birds  going nowhere

Surly?? or is it simply that they move... Flash the white wing bar.. And that brings others in 

blue. Colour solved... Try solving magnet decoys....going nowhere. Just round and round ???

You appear to be crediting Wood Pigeons with a bit too much intelligence!

11 hours ago, clay shooter said:

As I said earlier I can read pigeons on the day but I still don’t understand them. to give you an example, I have been having a fairly good day and the pigeons are decoying well, a few hours go by and all of a sudden they become very decoy shy, nothing as changed, so why?

Another example, I am having a good day, there are dead birds lying on their backs and some on their sides but the pigeons don’t bat an eyelid and still come into the decoys, now another day same setup and if a feather is out of place they will not look at your decoys, why?  

Movement, a few years back a mate and I were on one of the first barley fields to-be combined in this area, it was getting a fair bit of attention when it was laid but the day after it was combined there must have been 2000+ birds on the field when we arrived around 10 o’clock, driving down the field they did not want to go, it was only when we got out the car and started walking them off that they left the field, we setup immediately and as soon as we got in the hide there were pigeon trying to get back onto the field, after shooting for a couple of hours and a pile of pigeon in the ditch behind us we decided to have a brake and a pick-up of dead birds, as we were walking around the field birds were still landing in the decoys taking not one bit of notice of us, on returning to the hide the next 3 hours we stood up and did not try to conceal our selves, the birds decoyed as if we were not there, even birds coming to the field did not turn around when we fired the gun, my barrels got that hot you could have cooked bacon on them, we both run out of cartridges around 3:30 so I had to-do a trip home for another 600 cartridges, now I have had similar days on rape stubble but never anything like this day, it was almost like they were deaf and blind.

Now explain that one to me.

Makes sense to me. If I was a pigeon flying along at 40 odd mph and out of the corner of my eye saw this blue-ish thing also flying and my on board inherent sat nav was to tell me that if we both carry on on the same course we will collide and I know that it's going to hurt, I'd take avoiding action. Therefore it becomes a natural common sense progression to take that a stage further and avoid anything that moves. What I can't understand though is why they're so attracted to themselves and insist on getting as close as possible via their reflection in a window. That really must hurt. Anyone know the reasoning behind this phenomenon?

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve often wondered how scientists can say what another creature can see through it’s eyes. It’s probably safe to say that pigeons see differently to us and what we call one colour or effect may look totally different to a pigeon. I’m with the argument that says movement is the biggest problem, not colour. We’ve probably all sat in a bail hide on a good day, dropped the front down and sat still with our sunburnt pink faces and silver hair with  no effect on the pigeons at all.

On 19 March 2020 at 23:47, clay shooter said:

Your university lecturer being 'adviser to DEFRA' wasn't the one that advised inter alia "Woodpigeon models (particularly those with outstretched wings, showing the white wing bars) to give the impression of dead birds, can be effective in deterring woodpigeons" or "Simulating the Woodpigeon distress call to deter pigeons" was he by any chance ?

OB

5 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Your university lecturer being 'adviser to DEFRA' wasn't the one that advised inter alia "Woodpigeon models (particularly those with outstretched wings, showing the white wing bars) to give the impression of dead birds, can be effective in deterring woodpigeons" or "Simulating the Woodpigeon distress call to deter pigeons" was he by any chance ?

OB

Ridiculous remark im not offended though the topic was well founded in science pigeons can navigate better than you or I..how they do this is well  documented  messengers in the war their eyesight is great proof exists of eating from different bowl coloured feeders ...ok