Mattress - I need a new one

Penelope

Relyon Aurora Memory Deluxe, now two years old, suits us perfectly.   Not cheap, but we find it extremely comfortable.   Went to a few shops and lay on all sorts of different beds, but chose this because one person can move, roll over, or get in and out of bed with hardly any disturbance to the other occupant.   With any of the cheaper beds, every time one person moved the other would be bounced up and down.

This mattress topic has just got me fired up. When will someone make one that is easy to change.I find them really heavy and I always need assistance as I just can't manhandled the damn things on my own. I'm 73 but how on earth do old folks manage. A fortune is waiting to be made by someone who manages to invent a light comfy mattress. From Auntie.

I bought a Nectar memory foam mattress back in September, the main things being it got a better customer service rating than other equivalents, they would take the old mattress away (being the tatty old one out of the spare bedroom)..... but, most of all, it had a year’s try it or return it warranty and they would collect. (Some others would charge you for that or expect you to make your own arrangements). 

I was wary on keeping it clean over that period so I bought a Tencel mattress protector from them at the same time.....since bought a spare at half the price online from elsewhere.

Pros....

- they got as many good reviews and customer service ratings, better in many cases......although the proof of that will come if it gets sent back. 

- comfortable to sleep on, reasonably firm in that I don’t sink into it and it’s reasonably easy to turn over.  

- It’s pretty warm... I’m still using the summer weight duvet and just a T shirt. I never have my central heating much above 15c anyway.

- 2 free memory foam pillows (not used)

- they delivered when they said they would, the mattress pick up was a separate company and he turned up on time a couple of days later.

Cons.....

- it’s heavy to turn, which I normally do monthly now.

- It stunk for more than a week, despite leaving the window open during the day and nothing on the mattress.

- But the main concern is how hot it’s going to get over the next few months.... it holds the heat now so might be unbearable as it gets warmer..... this really would be my only reason for returning it and the 1year ‘trial’ period sealed the deal anyway.

cheers

fizz

• 1 month later...

Updating an older topic. 

Bought an otty hybrid mattress, it gets delivered tomorrow. So tonight we have to sleep on the pull out sofa bed in the spare room as they are, taking the old mattress away. My Mrs can't move a king size mattress down a flight of stairs. 

Picked the otty as it was the cheapest hybred at £500 but had great reviews. 

Try a few out of you can. I laid on several in the show room and the clear winner for me turned out to be second cheapest at about £120. If it lasts a third of the time the others would have done it will still work out cheaper per night. Likewise a mate spent £3k on a mattress and quietly admits he can’t tell the difference between that and the £300 one in his guest rooms.

We have a memory foam topped one at work which is very comfortable but too hot for most of the year.