ferry err

islandgun

Ferry to Ireland in the nineties, boat hadn’t left port, with the swell and the boat rolling I was soon throwing up! Didn’t want a beer so had a glass of fizzy orange....big mistake! Everyone walking about with plastic bags to their mouths, toilets swishing a flood of spew around the floor......I stood outside on the pointy end letting the cold spray sting my face.....awful voyage🤢 .......never again.....Brum to Dublin by plane and hire car after that! :good:

Irish ferry gets rough on a fair few occasions! And the last trip to Amsterdam via ferry was loads of fun for me watching Jacki turn green :lol: I had to go to the onboard reception desk and get her a tablet! First time was rough and I was tucking in at the 7 seas buffet and she had her head on the table moaning! I had to take her back to the room and let her lay down! But LAST time the boat was fighting a cracking gale. Laying in bed you almost lifted off the bed like you were weightless then crashed back and were squashed into the mattress :lol: 

One of my favourite  passages from Three Men In A Boat ....

....Another fellow I knew went for a week's voyage round the coast, and, before
they started, the steward came to him to ask whether he would pay for each meal
as he had it, or arrange beforehand for the whole series.
The steward recommended the latter course, as it would come so much cheaper.
He said they would do him for the whole week at two pounds five. He said for
breakfast there would be fish, followed by a grill. Lunch was at one, and consisted of
four courses. Dinner at six - soup, fish, entree, joint, poultry, salad, sweets, cheese,
and dessert. And a light meat supper at ten.
My friend thought he would close on the two-pound-five job (he is a hearty
eater), and did so.

Lunch came just as they were off Sheerness. He didn't feel so hungry as he
thought he should, and so contented himself with a bit of boiled beef, and some
strawberries and cream. He pondered a good deal during the afternoon, and at one
time it seemed to him that he had been eating nothing but boiled beef for weeks, and
at other times it seemed that he must have been living on strawberries and cream
for years.
Neither the beef nor the strawberries and cream seemed happy, either - seemed
discontented like.
At six, they came and told him dinner was ready. The announcement aroused no
enthusiasm within him, but he felt that there was some of that two-pound-five to be
worked off, and he held on to ropes and things and went down. A pleasant odour of
onions and hot ham, mingled with fried fish and greens, greeted him at the bottom
of the ladder; and then the steward came up with an oily smile, and said:
"What can I get you, sir?"
"Get me out of this," was the feeble reply.
And they ran him up quick, and propped him up, over to leeward, and left him.
For the next four days he lived a simple and blameless life on thin captain's
biscuits (I mean that the biscuits were thin, not the captain) and soda-water; but,
towards Saturday, he got uppish, and went in for weak tea and dry toast, and on
Monday he was gorging himself on chicken broth. He left the ship on Tuesday, and
as it steamed away from the landing-stage he gazed after it regretfully.
"There she goes," he said, "there she goes, with two pounds' worth of food on
board that belongs to me, and that I haven't had."
He said that if they had given him another day he thought he could have put it
straight.
So I set my face against the sea trip. Not, as I explained, upon my own account. I
was never queer. But I was afraid for George. George said he should be all right, and
would rather like it, but he would advise Harris and me not to think of it, as he felt
sure we should both be ill. Harris said that, to himself, it was always a mystery how
people managed to get sick at sea - said he thought people must do it on purpose,
from affectation - said he had often wished to be, but had never been able..

Edited by Retsdon

12 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Errr, every meal from the last five year would come back to say hello!!! Me and boats at sea don't agree.

😊 Ive never suffered all that much. As a lad catching cod from small boats i developed the habit of feeling the boat move and going with it, whilst keeping my head level.  try to always look at the horizon and dont do close work,  if you suffer, eat things like toast and drink water, take a tablet. Nowadays im a complete wimp and strictly a fair weather sailor.. the best cure for sea sickness is to sit under a tree

Ex RN, last sea draft was an old Ton class minesweeper, it was reckoned that they would roll on damp grass and roll they did, from bridge wing to bridge wing. You do get used to it but you walk a bit strangely for the first few minutes ashore. Skipper and crew on the ferry look well up to the challenge. Atb Steve.

57 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

They just crack on with it! 

Hows the weather on the island? 

Weathers not too bad 70mph gusts this morning but quieter now, I understand its worse down south, we dont have the things [trees] that get damaged like you do..

38 minutes ago, handy4454 said:

Ex RN, last sea draft was an old Ton class minesweeper, it was reckoned that they would roll on damp grass and roll they did, from bridge wing to bridge wing. You do get used to it but you walk a bit strangely for the first few minutes ashore. Skipper and crew on the ferry look well up to the challenge. Atb Steve.

Ha ha very good

On 15/02/2020 at 10:22, panoma1 said:

Ferry to Ireland in the nineties, boat hadn’t left port, with the swell and the boat rolling I was soon throwing up! Didn’t want a beer so had a glass of fizzy orange....big mistake! Everyone walking about with plastic bags to their mouths, toilets swishing a flood of spew around the floor......I stood outside on the pointy end letting the cold spray sting my face.....awful voyage🤢 .......never again.....Brum to Dublin by plane and hire car after that! :good:

not the first time i have heard that my irish mate took the ferry to ireland and it was so bad he flew back.  said never again

On 15/02/2020 at 12:58, islandgun said:

try to always look at the horizon and dont do close work

This.  The whole problem with ferries is you have nothing to do, other than feel sorry for yourself.

Also, stop off at the shop before you board a ferry and grab a packet of ginger snaps. Ginger is used in, let's call it  politely...alternative medicine, to treat nausea.  You might think the last you want to eat is a rich, sugary ginger biscuit but believe me gently chewing a few over the course of the trip does help.

That looks awful. I suffer bad with seasickness. I have even thrown up underwater when scuba diving in rough water. 

Last time I got a ferry was the Jersey to Pool catamaran when flights were cancelled due to fog. Took a handful of sea sickness tablets and didn’t wake up until midday the next day (in my own bed). I had managed to get off the ferry and into the cab picking me up and don’t remember any of it.