Pressure washer

yates

I have low water flow in my house that has a negative effect on the performance of my karcher pressure washer. When I use my neighbours tap with normal flow/pressure it works fine. I am thinking of getting the attachment where use can suck water directly from a bucket or water butt. Does anyone if this is an effective option.  Cheers for any responses

7 minutes ago, yates said:

I have low water flow in my house that has a negative effect on the performance of my karcher pressure washer. When I use my neighbours tap with normal flow/pressure it works fine. I am thinking of getting the attachment where use can suck water directly from a bucket or water butt. Does anyone if this is an effective option.  Cheers for any responses

I would have thought that drawing water directly from a bucket wouldn't be any better than you have now. Of course, I could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would have thought that drawing water directly from a bucket wouldn't be any better than you have now. Of course, I could be wrong.

That’s what I suspected . I don’t want to waste money if it doesn’t improve the problem. Cheers

6 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Why is your water pressure so different from your neighbours? 

I think there lies the problem.At work we developed low pressure due to the amount of water the new houses that have been built draw.We are the end of the line and between 7 and 8 in the morning we only get a dribble.Ended up getting United utilities in.They confirmed what we thought.Need to install a big tank now.

Poor water infrastructure management by by the water company allowing such a demand draw cutting your flow rate.

Li know you haven't suggested it but for health safety sake, don't go fitting a booster pump on the incoming water pipe, it will cause a vacuum in the line making it possible to suck dirt from outside the pipe if  leaking anywhere.

I wouldn't be happy to accept a domestic CW tank in the loft space. Water gets warm in summer, yuk.

Edited by figgy

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

Poor water infrastructure management by by the water company allowing such a demand draw cutting your flow rate.

Li know you haven't suggested it but for health safety sake, don't go fitting a booster pump on the incoming water pipe, it will cause a vacuum in the line making it possible to suck dirt from outside the pipe if  leaking anywhere.

I wouldn't be happy to accept a domestic CW tank in the loft space. Water gets warm in summer, yuk.

hello, your right figgy, have spent many years with a Water Company knowing how they lay water mains and domestic pipes and out side stop taps now, there may lay the problem, the only time i found houses on low pressure were situated on high ground or hill sides,

I ran 50mm alkathene direct from a reducer to the 32mm stop tap/ water meter at drive entrance to the rear of my house. Then reduced back to 32mm to enter the house with a 32mm ball valve. Split this into two 28mm CW to serve the house, one direct to MHWC and the other to feed the CW out leats around the house. Long runs so needed volume to cut frictional loss. 

No worries about lack of flow even with three showers running off the MHWC.

2 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Why is your water pressure so different from your neighbours? 

Comes from a different supply. Apparently many years ago the original stop cock was on my land. Previous owner did some building work and I believe damaged pipe work causing the loss of flow/pressure. The stop cock is now buried below 10 ft of soil and hardcore and will cost a fortune to dig up. Plus there is no guarantee if that is where the issue is

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if your neighbours have good water pressure i cannot see any reason you should not have, are these new build houses

No about 40 years

2 hours ago, wascal said:

might be worth trying a stiffer hose pipe.

I found that when using a water butt the suction from the pressure washer  can cause a cheap hose to pinch off the water supply

Cheers

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Cheers. I’ll avoid that option

To answer to your question... Yes, I can run my Nilfisk pressure washer from the 210 litre water butt. The butt is raised just far enough to get a watering can under the tap so not much of a head. The pressure is pretty low from the butt that but it's the rate of flow that really matters. Any kinks in the hose though and it doesn't go too well.

I do it quite often this time of year because I frequently get in from shooting on a Sunday with the car covered in mud and using the butt saves on the water bill.

Just now, Gordon R said:

Correct - you are responsible for the supply when it crosses the boundary onto your property.

As you have suggested that there has been damage to the supply on your land - you would foot the bill whether you dug up the stop cock or the Utility Company.

Yes you right. I had Yorkshire water out when we first moved in seven years ago. They located the stop cock under the soil and rubble on my land. They put another stop cock under the pavement on the other side of the wall. This is the only feed to my house. All other properties have other feeds. They have informed me that if I dig a hole they will fix the problem. But if the problem is not the stop cock on my land there is another 30 foot of pipe work to excavate and I will have to remove the Apple and pears that have grown over a the area. It takes forever to fill a bath and the shower is slow but that is something we got used to. The problem I have is that I cannot clean the patio slabs as the washer keeps cutting out due to the pressure issue. My neighbours are great but I don’t like to keep asking for favours

Pressure washer should work fine sucking from a big bucket once you have primed it, I would advise using a non return filter on the end of the hose and you can then prime the washer pump by pumping the filter up and down in the water initially at start up.

Edited by Good shot?

13 minutes ago, yates said:

Yes you right. I had Yorkshire water out when we first moved in seven years ago. They located the stop cock under the soil and rubble on my land. They put another stop cock under the pavement on the other side of the wall. This is the only feed to my house. All other properties have other feeds. They have informed me that if I dig a hole they will fix the problem. But if the problem is not the stop cock on my land there is another 30 foot of pipe work to excavate and I will have to remove the Apple and pears that have grown over a the area. It takes forever to fill a bath and the shower is slow but that is something we got used to. The problem I have is that I cannot clean the patio slabs as the washer keeps cutting out due to the pressure issue. My neighbours are great but I don’t like to keep asking for favours

, hello, i have come across this before in the Vale, if you have a newish stop cock dig down and locate the pipe your side of wall then dig a new trench to the house and lay a new length of plastic blue water pipe, trench 2ft 6 inch, pipe in pea gravel, connector for pipe near house, you can lay pipe around the trees,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper