A busy 2 hours!

aga man

A usual last night was our traditional Friday night roosting. I was kindly invited along by my mate Tan to shoot a wood we have shot on and off for the past 30 years {since we were young lads}. It is a decent area for pigeons and always has been really, last week we shot 20 birds between us so with a good wind was expecting similar last night too.

We arrived at the wood at 15.30 and things were pretty slow, just the odd bird showing and sometimes going away untouched:ermm:

By 16.15 birds were starting to show and by 16.30 we was in the thick of the action with good numbers coming to roost after leaving the rape fields for their last feed. Plenty of guns out around the estate and the strong wind made the birds move about constantly and kept us very busy with testing shots at all angles.

By 17.30 it was pretty much over and we had a pick up. With only one dog we picked 42 birds but estimated we had 50 or so down.

For those interested I fired 79 shots and Tan probably a similar number, not the best perhaps but many of the birds were very testing indeed. I did manage to film some of the action but somehow I have managed to delete it all during editing, so sorry for that!

Most of the birds were stuffed full of rape with some having clover and ivy berries in their crops.

I have managed to give away all of the birds through social media and one chap has just driven 20 miles for the last 20:good:

Thanks for reading.

20200214_172245.jpg

Edited by aga man

Fantastic bit of shooting in a few hours aga man , we would find it a bit strange if Fridays was the traditional day to be out , is it just in your county , or do folk from other areas shoot on a Friday , or apart from Saturday do the PW massive have a different day ?

Thanks marshman, yes friday night was alway the traditional night here and has always covered a large area from the Humber to driffield and beyond as far as im aware. More people seem to be switching to Saturdays now and i beleive areas of north yorkshire and Lincolnshire have always been Saturday.

9 hours ago, Robertt said:

Had the strangest day.

20 in the bag and 16 of them were 2nd barrelled. 

Trying to work out what went wrong but struggling to work it out.

With 20 in the bag, I would say nothing went wrong. You did well to get a second barrel off in this wind. Normally a flip of a wingtip and they're quickly out of range.

OB

11 hours ago, Robertt said:

Had the strangest day.

20 in the bag and 16 of them were 2nd barrelled. 

Trying to work out what went wrong but struggling to work it out.

Many of mine were second barrel kills too, pigeons coming over the tree tops in strong wind can be deceptive, sometimes they are appear still when they are moving and other times they are moving so quick it is hard to lead them correctly, not to mention the jinking and swerving etc. probably the most exciting and testing sport you can have with a shotgun imo.