Wild justice again

silver fox 1

I received an email from Basc  last night saying that wild justice have put in a letter to defra  threatening to take them to court over the release of  Gamebirds on EU designated land  with a 5 km buffer zone, Basc  are saying  they will go to court over this one.

Looks like things should be okay for this season maybe,  I wonder if this could be the beginning of the  end interesting times ahead that’s for sure 

12 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Interesting I’ve just been on Basc  website it’s under latest news  headed defra  holds firm on gamebird release, It doesn’t say that  wild justice is challenging this but it does in the email 

it's a shame that BASC couldn't do the same for what us lesser mortals are able to shoot:hmm:

20 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Special areas of conservation based on the EU habitats directive.  things like SSSI, SAC, RAMSAR etc... 

Ah, with you. 👍If implemented that will effect a couple of shoots I know of. 
They’re possibly trying to push this while it’s still an issue? 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

it's a shame that BASC couldn't do the same for what us lesser mortals are able to shoot

It’s a bit hard to do anything about things when it comes out of the blue  I don’t think anybody see that coming last time although maybe we should have  done   It looks like Basc  along with other shooting organisations are on it this time though 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!!

Edited by silver fox 1

13 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Ramsar sites are wetlands of international importance designated under the Ramsar Convention which we signed up to forty or fifty years ago. As such they have nothing to do with the EU.

However because of their importance they may have also been listed as SSSIs, LNRs etc.

Thanks Pushandpull, good to get clear information. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ramsar_sites_in_England

Edited by WalkedUp
Removed schedule of UK Ramsar sites as it was too lengthy

What do you mean by European protected sites?

European protected sites are sites with habitats or populations of species which the UK considers are sufficiently important to be recognized at EU level as requiring protection. The sites are designated under the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2017 (which transpose the EU Habitats Directive and elements of the EU Birds Directive into UK law). In the UK these are known as Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and, for sites designated in relation to birds, Special Protected Areas (SPAs). As a matter of policy the UK has also treated Ramsar sites (which are wetland sites deemed of international importance under the Ramsar Convention) in the same way as European protected sites. In practice there is a considerable degree of overlap between these sites.

Source: DEFRA

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/809100/general-licensing-position-statement.pdf