Storm Dennis

figgy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weather not bad here, lots of wind and rain yesterday...but not as bad as some poor souls.  Just got back from Walsall  20 minutes ago....took my son to karate black belt training.  On the way down, it rained here and there but nothing bad.  When we got to the A38, Derby, at the River Derwent, the sight of the floods really brought it home how lucky we are up here!  Fields were flooded as far as I could see, in both directions.  As we drove further along the A 38, more fields were underwater.  At Lichfield, the road after the roundabout (the A5) was closed due to flooding, which meant a detour through the narrow lanes, which were also flooded but not too bad!  My son commented on how the farmers might lose the crops that were poking through.  It absolutely tossed it down in Bloxwich (next to Walsall) at approx 1pm but when we came out of the leisure centre at 4pm, it was fine!  On the way back, when I exited the M18 onto the A1, it was hailstoning, with a vicious crosswind.  I saw lightning which actually made the horizon GREEN!   Just hope everyone is safe and well, wherever you are.

On 16/02/2020 at 16:48, JohnfromUK said:

I have some very large trees (Sycamore and Holm oak) close to the house - but they have tree preservation orders so I can't do anything.  These days, your property isn't your own to look after.  It is dome by someone remotely in an office 10 miles away who makes the decision based on forms and reports (which I have to pay for).

Under the TPO regulations if they are dead, dying or dangerous you can deal with them.

6 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Under the TPO regulations if they are dead, dying or dangerous you can deal with them.

That is true, but 'dying' and 'dangerous' are grey areas.  My sycamore is certainly old, and does have some 'dieback' from time to time, which I can get permission to trim out.  The fact that IF it fell, it would almost certainly hit a building (3 out of 4 directions) does not satisfy dangerous.  'Nuisance' with leaves, seeds, fallen small debris is not sufficient.

5 hours ago, Lampwick said:

You still need Planning permission

Correct, you need the Council's permission.

Ring the council say this tree is danger of falling your property and possible danger to life it needs taking down now. Can you go ahead, when they start saying can't do this that and all the rest. Say so your accepting responsibility and liability for loss and damage. 

Know a few people who have done this. And been told to go ahead and take it down. Works for some and not others.

If it is a danger you should be able to make it safe. Prune it all back to main trunk and be prepared to argue your decision. 

Sycamores are a nightmare as they don't give much warning just crack and snap off. Fell out of a few when they snapped as a child in the 70,s trying to get birds eggs. Only so many times you can go to A&E with bruises cuts and concussion before questions are being asked 😯🥴 knocking on doors to have ambulance phoned for your mate who fell and couldn't get up isn't fun, especially when his mum comes running and screaming looking for someone to blame 🤫

Go on chop it down, I would.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Agreed; This gives some idea of the size of tree.  The trunk is approximately 10m from the house and I estimate the height at 25 to 30m.

9B15EE8E-E441-488E-9BE4-91E1F9DF793A_1_105_c.jpeg

Yes I would ask for a good reduction 20-30%, get some of that wind out of its sails. That's a very nicely shaped tree and be a shame to drop it unless the roots were now messing with your foundations 👍