Abu multiplier play / tolerances

PeterHenry

I have an old Abu 6500 mag elite that I purchased cheeply a few years ago, and replaced a few missing parts, oiled, et cetera.

It's a great reel to use - perhaps not the prettiest, but I like it very much.

The one thing that bugs me about it is that the collar that sits between the aluminium side plate (and is perminantly fixed to it) and the star drag, wobbles slightly. This translates to play in the handle when reeling in.

I have an old abu 9000 and 8500 which are of little use by way of refrence owing to not having the collar in question, and also a new'ish 7000i on which the collar is stuck tight and immovable.

Basicaly, the gist of my concern is uneccecery wear occurring on the cogs inside - so, I was wondering if anyone had the reel in question, and wouldent mind having a quick look to put my mind af ease?

I've included a pick to show where the play is occurring.

Many thanks,

Peter

20200215_180909.jpg

Edited by PeterHenry

I have both an Abu 6000 and a 6500 with which I have made 100,000’s (if not millions?) of casts over the years, heavy spring Salmon fishing......there is no apparent play in either, where your yellow pointer is! There is minimal play through the handle where the shaft goes through the side plate!

14 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I have both an Abu 6000 and a 6500 with which I have made 100,000’s (if not millions?) of casts over the years, heavy spring Salmon fishing......there is no apparent play in either, where your yellow pointer is! There is minimal play through the handle where the shaft goes through the side plate!

Ah, that's that then. I'm going to have to look for a way to fix it, or get a replacement side plate.

1 minute ago, washerboy said:

Could there be a washer missing? 

I dont think so - I've downloaded the schematics from the abu website and there dosent seem to be anything missing.

hello, i am sure there is still a chap Southampton way who fixes reels, try google fishing reel repairs, found 2 so far jims reel shop Wiltshire, and 1 in Plymouth, hope you can get your reel sorted, those ABUs are classics, could never get on with a multiplier even a new Shimano beach caster, good luck  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Also no play at all here. This may be dated, but try:

Peter Coogan

Abu Ambassadeur Performance centre

0151 677 3609

07740 306 500

Email: petercoogan@fsmail.net

1 holt Ave., Moreton, Wirral CH46 0SS

Just a bit of useless info', but did you know why the reels are so well made. They swapped their product range and the reels were made on the original tooling - which made clocks.

53 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Peter Coogan

0151 677 3609

07740 306 500

Just a bit of useless info', but did you know why the reels are so well made. They swapped their product range and the reels were made on the original tooling - which made clocks.

Yes, Peter Coogan is a ‘pure fishing’ (Abu) approved repairer, he has supplied me with difficult to source spares for an Ambassadeur Ultra Mag XL V Reel in the past.......good service!

But you may be lucky and find a replacement side plate, if you monitor a well known auction site?

On 15/02/2020 at 18:51, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am sure there is still a chap Southampton way who fixes reels, try google fishing reel repairs, found 2 so far jims reel shop Wiltshire, and 1 in Plymouth, hope you can get your reel sorted, those ABUs are classics, could never get on with a multiplier even a new Shimano beach caster, good luck  

Thats great thanks, I'll take a look

On 15/02/2020 at 20:14, wymberley said:

Peter Coogan

0151 677 3609

07740 306 500

Thanks.

I think I've heard that before somewhere. When I was a teenager, someone who I was fishing with used one - a 6500 from memory - and mentiond he had found it while diving around a pier. He took it home, washed it up, oiled it, etc, and started using it - and there and then I decided that was the reel for me.

On 15/02/2020 at 21:11, panoma1 said:

Yes, Peter Coogan is a ‘pure fishing’ (Abu) approved repairer, he has supplied me with difficult to source spares for an Ambassadeur Ultra Mag XL V Reel in the past.......good service!

But you may be lucky and find a replacement side plate, if you monitor a well known auction site?

Thanks - I'm keeping an eye out

10 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Thanks.

I think I've heard that before somewhere. When I was a teenager, someone who I was fishing with used one - a 6500 from memory - and mentiond he had found it while diving around a pier. He took it home, washed it up, oiled it, etc, and started using it - and there and then I decided that was the reel for me.

Thanks - I'm keeping an eye out

I bought my 9000 in the late 60s, got posted to Germany where I fished off the Dutch coast with a soldier who lived nearby in the married quarters. He wanted one but couldn't wait for it so insisted that I sell him mine for whatever it would cost me to replace  with a new one. This being c71. I didn't like the new style handle so ordered a replacement old one and to be on the safe side a few consumeable spares. Six months later Abu UK told me I hadn't paid them. By sheer luck I still had the Postal Order (PO) counterfoil in my wallet so was able to prove that I had but in good faith I paid again. Got a reply saying that they agreed as they'd not checked for PO payments and would refund my second payment. I said no, just send some more spares to that value. A bucketful arrived and still have more than enough to see me out and the 'new' reel still performs as new.

On 17/02/2020 at 08:53, wymberley said:

I bought my 9000 in the late 60s, got posted to Germany where I fished off the Dutch coast with a soldier who lived nearby in the married quarters. He wanted one but couldn't wait for it so insisted that I sell him mine for whatever it would cost me to replace  with a new one. This being c71. I didn't like the new style handle so ordered a replacement old one and to be on the safe side a few consumeable spares. Six months later Abu UK told me I hadn't paid them. By sheer luck I still had the Postal Order (PO) counterfoil in my wallet so was able to prove that I had but in good faith I paid again. Got a reply saying that they agreed as they'd not checked for PO payments and would refund my second payment. I said no, just send some more spares to that value. A bucketful arrived and still have more than enough to see me out and the 'new' reel still performs as new.

I bet - the thing that really appeals to me about them is how easy they are to service and fix yourself (with the aid of the schematics from their website) - no special tools, etc