Dennis Was In A Bad Mood Today .

marsh man

Luckily enough the rain held off for most of the morning but the wind was steadily increasing , with roost shooting they always say better to have to much wind than not enough so it was game on .

Rather than go into the wood I decided to put a hide up on the outside and put a magnet and a few decoys out , the first problem was holding the net up even though I was up against a Ivy clump , once the hide was during it's best to blow in the next county I was putting some decoys out , first I put some on cradles , these were forever being blown off or blown around , so these were removed and 15 flock shells were scattered about on the ground , then the magnet was set up , with the arms pushed in this wasn't to bad as the base was easy to push in the fairly wet ground , so what took me twice as long as normal to set up , I was ready for the first customer , when the first one did finally present a shot it was really getting a move on , I thought I was on it with the first shot but missed it by miles and the second shot I swung in the general direction and somehow or other it hit the ground about 50 yard the other side of the decoys , one very unlucky pigeon .

All the while the wind was getting stronger , the rain was getting heavier and to make matters worse it was getting dark ,at one time I went back to my motor to have a coffee in comfort and get away from the wind and rain , it was now around 3pm and I made up my mind I will stick it till 4 o clock and then call it a day .

Dennis was now getting very angry and at 5 to 4 it was near enough for me , I wasn't sorry to stow the gear in the motor , put the lights and heater on and head in the direction of my house , bag wise , for sitting in the wind and rain I got the grand total of four , witched  worked out just over one an hour , was it worth it , I will let you decide that :lol:

56 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Sounds worth it to me MM....... better out than in they say

I couldn't agree more islandgun , one day I might be sitting in my rocking chair with a pair of slippers on ( heavens forbid )  wishing I could go out and due to the aliments of old age will be confirmed to barracks , so while I can I will continue as long as the good lord allow me to carry on .

44 minutes ago, Westley said:

Still beats the hell out of a trip to Tesco's  ??

I only go to the fuel pumps at Tesco's , my wife worked there and love shopping in the store , which suit me fine , the marshes are beside out Tesco , so I drop my wife off , arrange a time and then after taking my dog out I come back and pick her up , perfect harmony :lol:

41 minutes ago, aga man said:

Well done for getting out there but I reckon it was a good move to pack in when you did. Weather set to get worse before it gets any better.

Joking aside , I am all for giving it a go , but with the wind and rain it was getting more like an endurance test than an afternoons pigeon shooting , going by the sound of the wind coming down my flue aga man , I think we are in for a rough ole night . 

You certainly deserved those four pigeons MM. I decided against going out today due to the forecast of heavy rain coming in about 2pm but will take the next opportunity of a dry day.

As for whether it was worth it, I still prefer just a few hours out, regardless of the bag, so yes it was worth venturing out, but I would not have stayed out once the rain came in. No doubt being a keen and ardent wildfowler you are used to a bit of rain.

OB

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

You certainly deserved those four pigeons MM. I decided against going out today due to the forecast of heavy rain coming in about 2pm but will take the next opportunity of a dry day.

As for whether it was worth it, I still prefer just a few hours out, regardless of the bag, so yes it was worth venturing out, but I would not have stayed out once the rain came in. No doubt being a keen and ardent wildfowler you are used to a bit of rain.

OB

I think if you are a keen wild fowler you take the weather in your stride , one of the old sayings was , the fouler the weather , the better the fowling and up to a point that is true , the better the fowling is normally from December to the end of January , on the coast you could carry on till the 20th of February , when the area is iced up a bit February could be the cream of the fowling season with large amounts of fowl coming from the frozen areas down to where the water is tidal and still open , nowadays to see the Broads iced up is a rarity , and not only that if you got a longish spell of freezing condition you would get an automatic suspension 

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Very well done you, i went to take a look and drank tea in the motor the wind and rain was too much for me. So went to take a look at a series 3 landy on the bay, i'm biding now so not a wasted day. 

The wind was the biggest problem to begin with , if there is such a thing as to much wind for pigeon shooting then this was a perfect example , then after battling with the wind then the rain started to sweep in , by then what little enjoyment I was having was totally blown away and the race was on to get back before everything got sodden wet .

GOOD LUCK on getting a successful in .

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think if you are a keen wild fowler you take the weather in your stride , one of the old sayings was , the fouler the weather , the better the fowling and up to a point that is true , the better the fowling is normally from December to the end of January , on the coast you could carry on till the 20th of February , when the area is iced up a bit February could be the cream of the fowling season with large amounts of fowl coming from the frozen areas down to where the water is tidal and still open , nowadays to see the Broads iced up is a rarity , and not only that if you got a longish spell of freezing condition you would get an automatic suspension 

Hi MM,

I think that it was about 3 maybe 4 years ago, maybe longer that we went to a function at the Sutton Staith Hotel and the Staithe was totally frozen with all the boats locked in about 6 inches of ice. Perhaps you can refresh my memory on the year.

OB

1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

I think that's farts

Why is it when we f-a-r-t or have a pee or a poo, we often say 'I needed that' when we've just got rid of it ? ???

OB

also, why is it that the plural of farts get through the swear filter but the singular doesn't ?

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Hi MM,

I think that it was about 3 maybe 4 years ago, maybe longer that we went to a function at the Sutton Staith Hotel and the Staithe was totally frozen with all the boats locked in about 6 inches of ice. Perhaps you can refresh my memory on the year.

OB

I believe the last ban on wildfowl shooting because of the cold weather was way back in 2011 , it started on the tenth of December and was lifted on the 7th of January .

The spell of frost you were referring to might have been around five years ago , we had two back to back Woodcock days planned for the first week in January , if the cold weather had carried on for another few days a suspension would have been brought in , I know that on the day of the shoot, a gun shot a Woodcock that laid in the middle of a small flight pond , the keeper wont let anyone with a dog tried to retrieve it as the ice wasn't that thick , he got it himself later on with some thin rope and a piece of wood tied to it , in this shooting game you need to be adaptable :lol:

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I believe the last ban on wildfowl shooting because of the cold weather was way back in 2011 , it started on the tenth of December and was lifted on the 7th of January .

The spell of frost you were referring to might have been around five years ago , we had two back to back Woodcock days planned for the first week in January , if the cold weather had carried on for another few days a suspension would have been brought in , I know that on the day of the shoot, a gun shot a Woodcock that laid in the middle of a small flight pond , the keeper wont let anyone with a dog tried to retrieve it as the ice wasn't that thick , he got it himself later on with some thin rope and a piece of wood tied to it , in this shooting game you need to be adaptable :lol:

Thanks for that MM. 

I`ve just checked my shooting diary which tells me that in December 2015, I walked out on a frozen pond near me to retrieve a shot pigeon, so I guess 5 years ago.

OB