Centrepins Request - GUN HOLSTER

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Andy a pleasure to help, we will get the mark 2 sorted when Lin has had a chance to offer her input.

One last question, does the body of the bracket seem strong enough in that thin aluminium?

Just to raise another small point, is the action thickness the same on all guns.  IIRC Browning may be slightly thicker than Beretta for example. It may be worth a measure.

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have a few Berettas, which version do you have YB?

686 onyx, however the point was actually a general one with respect to measurement so it may be worth putting a caliper on a few different models before final dimension settled on ( I have been caught in a similar way in the past:blush:)

On 16/02/2020 at 17:50, Centrepin said:

Oi !,  I'm not the oldest I'll have you know, probably the most knackered but definitely not the oldest👴

It comes to us all inevitably just admit it:lol:

Nice job Dave and I will be very surprised if Lin cannot do the job but it might come a bit pricey time wise as it looks complicated. She is a wizard with leather for sure.

quote ....worth putting a caliper on a few different models ....I've been caught in a similar way in the past......

what a pity ditchie is absent he would have made a complete new thread on that statement:lol::yahoo:

sorry im late with the tipton input gents , but i wanted my tea , and hungry trumps guns :lol:.

lins professional opinion is " thats gonna be a right pig to cover " :lol:.

lin said that the leather that she usually uses is around 2mm thick , and while they wont be quick to cover , they can be done, and should look very nice  . once the mk2 arrives , she can get cracking and cover it.

the aluminium appears to be more than adequate , but im not sure how the relatively thin strip of aluminium above the hole would stand up to constantly having a gun dropped into it , and the weight of an arm rested on it (dave will have much more knowledge than me) , or how well leather would wear at that point.

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

sorry im late with the tipton input gents , but i wanted my tea , and hungry trumps guns :lol:.

lins professional opinion is " thats gonna be a right pig to cover " :lol:.

lin said that the leather that she usually uses is around 2mm thick , and while they wont be quick to cover , they can be done, and should look very nice  . once the mk2 arrives , she can get cracking and cover it.

the aluminium appears to be more than adequate , but im not sure how the relatively thin strip of aluminium above the hole would stand up to constantly having a gun dropped into it , and the weight of an arm rested on it (dave will have much more knowledge than me) , or how well leather would wear at that point.

I think the strap would break before the alloy gave in which case an internal rubber grommet? Alternatively move the hole down a little. Use a karabiner type clip and let the leather sit in that?  Maybe we're overthinking  it strength wise. Try it first👍

47 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I think the strap would break before the alloy gave in which case an internal rubber grommet? Alternatively move the hole down a little. Use a karabiner type clip and let the leather sit in that?  Maybe we're overthinking  it strength wise. Try it first👍

youre most probably right cp . when we produce anything that carries weight  (camera straps , deer drag slings etc) , we test a few to destruction . im sure that dave is bang on the money with his design and its strength though.

Edited by mel b3

i was giving things a bit of thought last night , and i came to the conclusion that a simple J shaped hook would do exactly the same job , it could be made from flat aluminium or alloy strip , im guessing 5mm thick x 25mm wide would be strong enough (dave would have the answer to that) , and it would be , light , much easier/faster to produce , much easier/faster to cover in leather , and much much less costly , it could be made at a cost that anyone could afford. has anyone got any thoughts ?.

I'm guessing you mean just to rest gun in?

The idea of the tang is to support the weight, without a tang a broken gun would unbalance and fall off.

At least i think so, it would need to be tried first.

If you look at the tang in the picture, it supports weight. Take no notice of the strap, it's not long enough and has been replaced already.

20200219_193603.jpg

Edited by Centrepin

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

To throw in a curved ball- if the tang is required could it not be a "bolt on".  Both parts would be easier to cover and different left and right models would not be required.  The bolts captive and countersunk in the hook with leather over and the covered tang held with wingnuts?

I think that would add to the manufacturing costs considerably,  but I'll leave that to TC to answer.

Funnily enough my wife suggested the bolt on bit too.

1 minute ago, Centrepin said:

I think that would add to the manufacturing costs considerably,  but I'll leave that to TC to answer.

Funnily enough my wife suggested the bolt on bit too.

Of the metal certainly, but the reduction of the time to stitch on the leather would be considerable and one set of jigs would do both types.

45 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The problem of having a bolt on part are that the nuts and screws will get in the way.

Simplyfying the holster to a simple J shape might work, definitely worth investigating, we'll call it the GUNHOOK!

Andy did you shoot today?

If so how did it behave?

I tried it on my left side as I wasn't really shooting just supervising my grandson on the .410 at statics.

It held the gun perfectly in place despite me moving around and loading/unloading. My fault the strap was too short but I've extended that now, but even so it was a pleasure to be able to carry it, have a hand free and still rest on my walking stick. Not falling over definitely helps my shooting😁

I fired around 25 myself and even moving from left side to right before mounting was easy enough. 

It's a shame we cant design an ambidextious one as a few times I had it completely in front of me for balance.

I think that when I have a right sided one it will completely alter my shooting or rather carrying for the better. No more having to rely on my son to carry my gun.

Wind and rain stopped us today, far worse than Saturday. 20 minutes and I had no feeling in my hands. Poor little one couldn't even grip his gun. Fortunately I park at the back of the stands we shoot so we retreated to warmth and dry clothes. 

8 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I don’t know if these pictures will be of any use but here is one I own -

2135DAD5-AD20-4F71-8DFC-31980AB1EB6A.jpeg

6A789887-A60C-4D9C-BC2D-C7F8EF4F8EEA.jpeg

Just typing a reply when you posted, I wonder why the tang isn't full width.

Perhaps its a fits all sizes?

Good to have other pictures to go on though.

Edited by Centrepin

Unfortunately centrepin I can’t answer that question as I have absolutely no idea why, I could hazard a guess at material and or weight saving but it would be purely a guess. 

another angle -

622E768A-2D80-42C1-BB2C-EE821206AA60.jpeg

Edited by Spr1985
Add picture