Centrepins Request - GUN HOLSTER

TIGHTCHOKE

19 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

For ease of manufacture and to make the gunhook ambidextrous.

NOT ROCKET SCIENCE to form a left and right version.  I made mine in about 5 minutes just with a vice and panel hammer.  Just have to bend the blank side plates the opposite way.

So the blanks could all be cut the same shape.  The 'tang' could then be bent down as required.

In fact thinking through it the tang could also be bent at the same time.  Assuming that a die will be involved of course and an hydraulic force/press.  Just needs the female piece made up out of some 1/2 inch plate which should stand the pressure. Two sides welded on and the tang area heated and bent to shape. Tidied up and edges rounded, job done.  Put blank in one way for left and the other for right.  Sling hole could be drilled prior to this.  A small hydraulic press would handle this no problem.

Edited by Walker570

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I'll have you know that I spent most of last year following the sliming world diet plan , only once did I fall off the wagon and eat a pie , I was a tad embarrassed when I looked at the box and it said serves four 😳.

Mel been there done that felt really guilty till i went for the weight in lost 2lbs that week...

tried it again the following week didn't work that time😭

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

NOT ROCKET SCIENCE to form a left and right version.  I made mine in about 5 minutes just with a vice and panel hammer.  Just have to bend the blank side plates the opposite way.

So the blanks could all be cut the same shape.  The 'tang' could then be bent down as required.

In fact thinking through it the tang could also be bent at the same time.  Assuming that a die will be involved of course and an hydraulic force/press.  Just needs the female piece made up out of some 1/2 inch plate which should stand the pressure. Two sides welded on and the tang area heated and bent to shape. Tidied up and edges rounded, job done.  Put blank in one way for left and the other for right.  Sling hole could be drilled prior to this.  A small hydraulic press would handle this no problem.

Seems like a good idea 

however it’s not ambidextrous 

I think Tc is doing well here and it trying to get one that hangs on the left and or right without bolts and the movable bits 

8 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

Mel been there done that felt really guilty till i went for the weight in lost 2lbs that week...

tried it again the following week didn't work that time😭

😅, it's very strange , some weeks I'll have a pig out and lose weight,  other weeks I'm very careful yet still gain a bit . I've lost five and a half stone so far , so i can live with the odd pig out.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Seems like a good idea 

however it’s not ambidextrous 

I think Tc is doing well here and it trying to get one that hangs on the left and or right without bolts and the movable bits 

Sorry, but it is ambidextrous. Whichever way you apply the blank to the press will produce a mirror image surely.  Certainly works with a piece of paper cut to the shape.

If your expecting a unit to be 'adjustable' either way then a separate plate for the tang is essential. BUT one assumes lefties would order a leftie and righties the same..

You order the unit which fits your leaning.

@TIGHTCHOKE Success,  used it today properly, with some leather poorly glued into place.

It's so much easier to walk without the worry of carrying or dropping the gun. I also have a hand free to button press without having to slip the gun and lay it down.

I used a small safety strap for my own piece of mind but found it wasn't needed. Once the gun is in, its snug and doesn't move.

I know you're wanting to refine it, but it all seems good to me at the mo.

I think Lin will have a problem covering in leather. I know nothing about leather so tried gluing and clamping in place. It's worked but not pretty🤔

Not a big problem as just require two pieces on slightly larger than the other. The smaller one goes inside and the larger outside then stitch around the edges and trim.   The slightly large piece is required as it is just that but further around the outer.  I cut mine oversize so not a problem as I can trim once stitched.

I have the first piece on the rough one I am putting together. Just stuck it on with contact glue. Once I have the belt loop fixed I can then glue the inner piece in and then stitch round the edges.  Although mine is set to be for belt fitiing the same would apply to any fitting for hanging it.

Have another piece of ally set up to shape with a slightly shorter tang front and back with same height side panels and this can therefore be worn either side.

Busy busy busy doing other things at the moment but will post pictures as soon as i'm free.

A quick photo so far. Shows the inner lining and the leather belt loop. The outer lining already glued in. I need some fixings for the belt loop and need a run into local Hobby Store to get them.  Once the belt loop is fixed the inner lining can be glued in then carefully stitched around the edge and trimmed. Used some pieces of Nilgai hide for the lining, all I had handy.

The belt idea may not work we'll see but both sides can be drilled out to accomodate a sling fitting no problem.   Prototypes rarely look pretty.

Don't know what happened there but initially the photo did not appear. 

294.jpg

Edited by Walker570

Had a quick go at making one yesterday(purely for my own use). It's a bit too big and a bit too heavy , and not very well balanced ,  but it could be used on a shoulder strap , or on a belt , and will be perfect for my needs .

It would need further thought to fill centrepins needs though .

Yes I know it's rough as a bears bum , but it was a rushed prototype idea , and I did most of the stitching myself (until lin had to step in because I got into a mess).

20200223_144259.jpg

20200223_144247.jpg

20200223_144227.jpg

20200223_144219.jpg

20200223_144211.jpg

20200223_144312.jpg

20200223_152526.jpg

20200223_152610.jpg

20200223_152549.jpg

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, looks good  to me Mel, how about a leather shoulder strap to finish off ? or even the web strapping and some brass fittings like Lin made on my shooting bag, cheers

That could be done very easily , but for my needs it wouldn't really be worth using up good materials to be honest , it'll only be used now and again , and will just be chucked in the back of the car with my other shooting junk  for most of the time. Seeing it in use , made me realise that a simple webbing sling would be just as good as any gun holster ,  it just wouldn't look as nice.

15 hours ago, Centrepin said:

@TIGHTCHOKE Success,  used it today properly, with some leather poorly glued into place.

It's so much easier to walk without the worry of carrying or dropping the gun. I also have a hand free to button press without having to slip the gun and lay it down.

I used a small safety strap for my own piece of mind but found it wasn't needed. Once the gun is in, its snug and doesn't move.

I know you're wanting to refine it, but it all seems good to me at the mo.

I think Lin will have a problem covering in leather. I know nothing about leather so tried gluing and clamping in place. It's worked but not pretty🤔

Brilliant, at this stage I am not worried about aesthetics, functionality is foremost!

Andy I will PM you.

That looks pretty good mel but I can see why the body side of the unit has to be longer than the out side.  I think it would hand more upright, yours 'sags'.   Why I thought a belt fitting would be better but then thought about it and that would interfere with a jacket or skeet vest, so hanging it from a strap is the way to go.  I honestly couldn't see where Lin took over, she's taught you well:good:

002.jpg

Edited by Walker570

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That looks pretty good mel but I can see why the body side of the unit has to be longer than the out side.  I think it would hand more upright, yours 'sags'.   Why I thought a belt fitting would be better but then thought about it and that would interfere with a jacket or skeet vest, so hanging it from a strap is the way to go.  I honestly couldn't see where Lin took over, she's taught you well:good:

i made it with a long belt loop so that it could go onto a shoulder strap , or, belt around the waist , it would only take seconds to make the belt loop smaller , and remove most of the sag , or , five minutes to drill another hole and re bolt , to remove all of the sag , putting it on to a belt would remove all of the sag as well . i also padded it slightly , and left room to put in extra padding , to give a snug fit with different guns ,  for my purpose though , this is about as perfect as you could get , it can go on either side , or in front ,  but as i said , it wouldnt really suit centrepin.

having given it even more thought , a strong webbing or leather belt , with a simple velcro loop (industrial strength) in the horizontal position , would be completely hands free , and ambi . 

Stuck some bits together this morning as too wet to go tree rat shooting.  I ditched the idea of a belt fitting put the lether loop on back and stuck the liner in. It looks a bit Mad max but as said is just a prototype for my 410, so doen't have to look pretty, everyhting is out of the scrap bin so nothing lost but lots learned.  Need to stitch round the Nilgai hide and tidy up a bit.

The rubber 'tongue' sticking out is a spare piece of Aldi flooring mat I had and I will glue this in once the stitching is done. 

002.jpg

Edited by Walker570

17 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Had a quick go at making one yesterday(purely for my own use). It's a bit too big and a bit too heavy , and not very well balanced ,  but it could be used on a shoulder strap , or on a belt , and will be perfect for my needs .

It would need further thought to fill centrepins needs though .

Yes I know it's rough as a bears bum , but it was a rushed prototype idea , and I did most of the stitching myself (until lin had to step in because I got into a mess).

20200223_144259.jpg

20200223_144247.jpg

20200223_144227.jpg

20200223_144219.jpg

20200223_144211.jpg

20200223_144312.jpg

20200223_152526.jpg

20200223_152610.jpg

20200223_152549.jpg

To be fair that looks really good.

I wear mine (the first prototype) on a simple nylon strap over my shoulder and can quickly move it to a central position to walk or even completely to the left and butt forward if need be.

Everyone's different but I found between hip and stomach suits me the best. A bit of padding on the strap stops it digging in or chafing and holds the weight.

Well, I found a sling from and old carry bag which fitted spot on and put the 410 in it this morning and surprise surprise it fitted and worked a treat.  Certainly going to take strain of the old wrists when standing on a peg this next season. (already have 12 days booked).  Many thanks for the original idea.  Just got to get it all stitched up now.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Well, I found a sling from and old carry bag which fitted spot on and put the 410 in it this morning and surprise surprise it fitted and worked a treat.  Certainly going to take strain of the old wrists when standing on a peg this next season. (already have 12 days booked).  Many thanks for the original idea.  Just got to get it all stitched up now.

001.JPG

002.JPG

It certainly makes life easier and takes a lot of strain off, freeing up your hands. You might find over a jacket you need it a touch longer. 

That's about the height I have mine and can move it to the front easily, or I suppose to the back.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also use these holsters gun closed too; close the gun and rest the butt of the gun in the holster, barrels up while holding the action. Relieves the weight of the gun quite a lot when waiting for the birds, according to my wife who uses one of these (a fancy one, not DIY).

Hers also has a few loops on the strap for a handful of cartridges, so it's quite handy when rough shooting.