How to RFD to RFD

sam triple

You take the gun to your RFD he signs the gun onto his register , and off your cert, you tell the RFD who to send the gun to (another RFD) and label your gun with the persons details so the RFD that receives it, so he knows who will arrive to have the gun signed onto their cert. There is normally a charge of about £25 for this, I did this recently selling a gun on this forum, and very straightforward.      I thought all transactions should be face to face, and I would not send my cert to anyone.

10 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

As I understand it, you personally as the seller have to enter the gun on the buyers cert, so the buyer would need to send their cert to you or possibly the RFD you are using to send the gun. Then pop the cert in with the gun to go the buyers RFD.

That Is the correct way as I said earlier!

Moongeese is right ,did exactly the same not long ago, sellers gun gets transferred onto his RFD's books so gun no longer belongs to seller, the RFD then sends it to buyers RFD who then transfers on to his books, who then transfers it on to buyers cert,.    Jim.

Edited by wigeon jim

5 minutes ago, wigeon jim said:

Moongeese is right ,did exactly the same not long ago, sellers gun gets transferred onto his RFD's books so gun no longer belongs to seller, the RFD then sends it to buyers RFD who then transfers on to his books, who then transfers it on to buyers cert,.    Jim.

We have done it that way in the past 😊however it’s not necessarily the correct way 

TC has it right 

1 minute ago, wigeon jim said:

If the buyer sends you his cert how do you identify its authenticity as you don't know what he looks like, I certainly wouldn't send mine to anyone,. Jim

A certain degree of trust and use the sending RFD to validate things.

As I said this morning, this is how you are meant to do it!

Just now, wigeon jim said:

If the buyer sends you his cert how do you identify its authenticity as you don't know what he looks like, I certainly wouldn't send mine to anyone,. Jim

The buyers rfd should check that the person that picks up the gun is the person on the certificate. 

How many times will this come up?!?!?! 

Seller has to complete the buyers certificate. If the RFD does that he becomes the seller and apart from the issue of the buyer actually paying him and not paying someone else, the RFD has to provide a warranty, put the value of the sale through his books thus incurring tax and VAT implications and take responsibility for the paperwork.

Plenty of people stating the correct method.

Buyer sends cert to seller to complete.

Seller returns completed cert.

Seller asks RFD to use their account to post gun to another RFD. (Paying fee)

Buyer collects gun from second RFD WITH COMPLETED CERTIFICATE IN HAND. 

2nd RFD verifies paperwork and hands over gun and charges their fee.

PITA maybe but not massively complicated and the correct procedure.

ANY OTHER WAY IS INCORRECT. 

Any rfd doing other than stated above is risking their license. It's been done differently for years, always wrong but always accepted. More recently the correct procedure is being enforced.

Edd

11 minutes ago, wigeon jim said:

Well I stant to be corrected sir,. When I have sold guns before i can only go with what my RFD says how to do it,. But now I know the right way,. Thanks,. Jim.

The above has always been the legal way, but I’ve RFD to RFD firearms many many times, and only one dealer asked me to send them my ticket. 
It’s just one more example of illogical UK firearms legislation if you like. 🙂

10 hours ago, Scully said:

The above has always been the legal way, but I’ve RFD to RFD firearms many many times, and only one dealer asked me to send them my ticket. 
It’s just one more example of illogical UK firearms legislation if you like. 🙂

I agree with all of the above, the reason there is so much ongoing confusion is because the system is badly designed. It was clearly never envisaged to be for remote selling and relies on far too much ‘trust’. I think everyone knows the legal RFD to RFD way but still can’t believe they have to post their certificate to a stranger unseen. 

Funnily enough I asked this question of the young lady who came round to inspect my security arrangements. She is employed by Dorset Police Firearms Licensing team.

She was absolutely adamant that your Firearms / Shotgun Certificate shouldn't be posted to anyone at all, unless it's back to the police for some reason. Fine to send a copy to demonstrate that you have got the right id etc.

Paypal terms state they it’s not to be used for purchasing firearms. So if you use it, it has to be friends and family (no fees for the seller incurred).  There is obviously no guarantees/buyer protection and don’t write things like ‘Browning pump action shotgun’ in the notes or they may well cancel the transaction...