Ditchman?substitute

Old farrier

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are questions not criticism, the heat generated in the forge will be high, is there not the possibility that the heat will burn through the thin metal quite quickly? Does it not need fire bricks in the base?

I also see you have bolted the legs on, I built a barbecue and did the same and every time it cooled down the legs were wobbly due to the nut and bolt becoming loose through expansion and contraction, would it not be better to weld the legs on?      

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes it is interesting and I hope to see more from you and your apprentice.

Keep up the good work.

Are you making a grill rack as it would make a wonderful rocket powered barbeque!:good:

Ah yes, the less than a minute steak, for  those in a hurry between rain storms..😊

Nice one O.F it will be good to see this in action

There’s going to be a few inches off ashes on the bottom and sides instead of fire bricks 

yes it will burn through in time which is why we bolted the legs on 

thing is it cost nothing to build and all that is part of the learning experience he’s got the other end of the drum for the next one and as time goes on he should develop a better version 

at 16 he’s got no ££ at anything in the way of tools so we’re working on making them 

the project is about applying the maths 😊

as for the horizontal picture it’s something to do with the phone reducing the size sadly I don’t know what 😊😂

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

50C88438-4AD1-4C6D-8191-2955FE35F8CF.jpeg

I didn't know if you had a spare to lend him, or if he would have to make one.

I was given a spare small anvil, made many years ago out of a piece of railway track, that I use in the workshop on small items that need hitting hard. Saves on my belting chunks out of the vice top 😂

Edited by amateur

40 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I'd never have thought about checking if an anvil's level. 

All part of the learning process level hammer blows on a level (both ways) anvil creates easy and SAFE work 🙄

none of the shooting off at angles or twisted wonky work 🙄 no excuse 

just trying to make it easier for the lad 

59 minutes ago, amateur said:

I didn't know if you had a spare to lend him, or if he would have to make one.

I was given a spare small anvil, made many years ago out of a piece of railway track, that I use in the workshop on small items that need hitting hard. Saves on my belting chunks out of the vice top 😂

I’ve just lent him a spare until we have finished refurbishing a old one I found 

he’s going to have to learn how to use a stick welder for that and a Angie grinder