Automatic game feeders

BUCKSHOT1

Hi

we are thinking of using Automatic feeders on our syndicate shoot , if they do work where would you place them around the shoot we have a lot of cover crops and wooded areas.

i am hoping it will help on cutting down on feed cost ??? Or will it I am using about 25 tonne of wheat and about 8 tonne of barley for the duck ponds .

and where is this best value feeders and is it better to use a solar panel as well ??? 
And how many do you think we will need on about 800 acres .

Hope you will be able to help.

Thanks

lots of variables here!

OK some advice. Don't leave a feeder or drinker in one place for too long. I moved all of mine ever time I filled them this past season because the ground was so wet and its a breeding place for disease. Remember birds empty out as fast as they eat so there is a lot of excrement around feeders. Microplasma is only one of the major diseases we need to be very wary of.

Feed where you need to keep the birds. Away from boundaries and generally around cover. Partridge like some open ground to route around on so on the open side of cover. Pheasants like woods. Don't put feeders too near woods if you are not keeping your squirrels in check.This last year has cost us about 1k in feeder damage and about 3k in water pipe damage (owner did not want us to have a squirrel day!!!!!)

Again with this weather, keep feeders on slightly higher ground and not in dips where the ground becomes a small lake.

I like Manola feeders as the birds favour them - so does all the other vermin - rats have been a big problem too. Can't poison them because there is maze in the feed and the vit K is an antidote to the poison.

I'm not going to advise on any automatic feeder because you need to regularly see the birds. You can't just feed and walk away. Big bin feeders do save time but you still have to move them.

I'm sure you are going to get a lot of advice. My moto - keep it simple

29 minutes ago, BUCKSHOT1 said:

We use Manola feeder but later on in season deer keep nocking the tops off , we do shoot the deer but still some will lift them off on if it rains wheat goes off any suggestions 

Tyre or road cone base over the lid works and stops the wind blowing them off.

1 hour ago, BUCKSHOT1 said:

We use Manola feeder but later on in season deer keep nocking the tops off , we do shoot the deer but still some will lift them off on if it rains wheat goes off any suggestions 

Yes we had munti problems as well but much later in the season. We also use a green bin on a stand that has a spring in the bottom (not sure what they are called). Hold about 40kg of feed so easy to fill - sling in a 25kg bag. Not easy to move unless near empty

Like the idea of a tyre to hold the hats on 👍👍