Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Heron

8 Bore cartridges

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Are 8 bore shotgun cartridges commercially available or would I have to learn the art of reloading. 

I don’t think there are any commercially available now?....so homeloading is the only option! If you go down the homeloading route apart for the usual equipment you will need an 8 bore case resizer, a method of priming/ depriming and a RTO....I may be able to help you out for components such as wads, cases etc?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get the right ammo some 8s are actually 10s bored out , go for the big loads and it will put you on your bum ....., here speaks the voice of experience 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Folk used to use modified Remington 8 Bore kiln cleaning cartridges in the 1970s to provide the cases.

Folks still do !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clay and game have everything tho ...... I put 2 1/2 oz through mine but it’s 15lb 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gunsmith in faversham down here in Kent has loaded 8 bore for sale.

kent gunsmiths 

01227 752680

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Folk used to use modified Remington 8 Bore kiln cleaning cartridges in the 1970s to provide the cases.

No real modification necessary, just need to be resized! That’s why anyone loading 8 bore plastic industrial cases needs a resizer!

 

40 minutes ago, Salmo said:

Clay and game have everything tho ...... I put 2 1/2 oz through mine but it’s 15lb 

In the lead days, I occasionally used 3ozs, in a brass case through my 15lb x 4” chambered 8............I now mostly use 2 1/4ozs of ITM in a plastic case!

And yes,  C&G have everything to load 8bore shells.....at a price!

15 minutes ago, dipper said:

Allen Myers used to sell loaded 8bore cartridges

Is he still doing them? I have never dealt with him, but understand he was very expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where would you find the reloading tools?? I have had a look on clay and game and they dont seem to have stock of anything!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manish said:

Where would you find the reloading tools?? I have had a look on clay and game and they dont seem to have stock of anything!!!

 

maybe graham Deakin, I know he makes brass shells and card cup makers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically the only tools you need are a roll turnover and resizer for the Remington kiln cases if you can’t get them pre sized. After that it is standard reloading gear, scales, wads cards etc. If you go down the reloading route I can let you have lists of loads and general advice as I am sure many others on here can. It really is very easy.

Graham Deakin is worth speaking to ref tools. Certainly if you want a card cup maker he is your man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Realistically the only tools you need are a roll turnover and resizer for the Remington kiln cases if you can’t get them pre sized. After that it is standard reloading gear, scales, wads cards etc. If you go down the reloading route I can let you have lists of loads and general advice as I am sure many others on here can. It really is very easy.

Graham Deakin is worth speaking to ref tools. Certainly if you want a card cup maker he is your man.

You will also need a tool to prime and deprime the cases!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

You will also need a tool to prime and deprime the cases!

You can prime and deprive with a six inch nail or drill bit set in a dowel. That’s what I use. Simple hard wood dowel with a golf ball handle makes rammer and stand to tap the primers in. I press the cases through the resizer with a large G cramp which can also be used for setting primers. You really don’t need to buy a lot of kit that just adds to the cost.  It’s all covered in Douglas MacDougals book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

You can prime and deprive with a six inch nail or drill bit set in a dowel. That’s what I use. Simple hard wood dowel with a golf ball handle makes rammer and stand to tap the primers in. I press the cases through the resizer with a large G cramp which can also be used for setting primers. You really don’t need to buy a lot of kit that just adds to the cost.  It’s all covered in Douglas MacDougals book.

Yes Dave, there are various methods, but you do need a tool/tools to enable you to deprime and reprime cases....you can’t do it without!

I use a homemade (by myself) brass deprime/primer tool, the punch made using a section of a thinner 5” nail! 😉 Lol!.......And an arbour press makes the job of resizing cases a doddle!....before that I used a large Record Vice...slow...but works!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Yes Dave, there are various methods, but you do need a tool/tools to enable you to deprime and reprime cases....you can’t do it without!

I use a homemade (by myself) brass deprime/primer tool, the punch made using a section of a thinner 5” nail! 😉 Lol!.......And an arbour press makes the job of resizing cases a doddle!....before that I used a large Record Vice...slow...but works!

 

Agreed. Don’t have an arbour press but silly as it sounds was going to make a jig for the log splitter next and save the hassle of the cramp. Looking on line they look pretty cheap, any recommendations or are they all likely to do the job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Agreed. Don’t have an arbour press but silly as it sounds was going to make a jig for the log splitter next and save the hassle of the cramp. Looking on line they look pretty cheap, any recommendations or are they all likely to do the job?

I think any arbour press will all do the job Dave......I obtained mine secondhand from a friend some years ago, and it really does make the job easier and less of a chore!.....in fact with a bit of imagination, it could fairly easily be utilised for depriming/priming the cases too!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, scolopax said:

maybe graham Deakin, I know he makes brass shells and card cup makers

Are card cup makers what I think they are?? Would they be OK for steel shot? Also has Graham got a website??

Many thanks

20 hours ago, scolopax said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Manish said:

 

Graham does not have a website. These wads are just an inverted cup that sits on the powder as an obturator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave at kelton said:

Graham does not have a website. These wads are just an inverted cup that sits on the powder as an obturator.

got ya. then you use a plastic or one or them bio wads from clay and game for the shot. Where abouts is he based?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would you guys say an 8 bore with a 36 1/2 inch barrel is a bit nuts??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...