Flood water

snow white

22 hours ago, Penelope said:

It's been so wet this winter that nothing has had a chance to dry out. My garden is so wet that I have thought of getting a water buffalo and taking up rice farming.

There used to be a bloke milking buffalo at the end of our road when we were at llandrinio. He made the news in the 2000 floods for taking the calves in to the house and upstairs to get out of the water. 

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

86464317_2928202527321147_58636027782905

The latest pic

Terrible, but that's the USK for you and it comes up very quickly indeed.  The late Head Keeper at Glanusk told me an incident where he was in Brecon one afternoon and there was one enormouse thunderstorm and water was roaring through the town.  He knew he had two fishermen on the estate river in The Park and he drove as fast as he could back to warn them.

He ran to the river and shouted at them to get out of the river which at that time was perfect. They fortunately did as they where told and looked at Stuart as though he was mad, but twenty minutes later the Usk was a raging torrent and there was a chance they would both have been swept away. 

I can’t be bothered to look if I’m honest, but just wondered if anyone knew if we were actually getting more rainfall during UK winters than say.....50 or 60 years ago, or from records began?  I just wondered if there was any correlation with directives to stop dredging culverts, becks, streams etc. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I can’t be bothered to look if I’m honest, but just wondered if anyone knew if we were actually getting more rainfall during UK winters than say.....50 or 60 years ago, or from records began?

Quite a lot here http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/documents/421974/1295957/Info+sheet+%2315.pdf/8b8457b7-7bd2-49fc-888a-9b3f6785a40e

hello, growing up in the 1950s 1960s 1970s the seasons were more normal Spring/Summer/ Autumn Winter  with the odd exception like snow in 1963 heatwave in 1955 flood in 1968 from what i can remember, they should forecast the weather with better results unless you take Michael Fish, a lady phoned in and said is there a storm coming!!!! not sure about global warming but there must be something happening, i hear theres a storm coming to the BBC name of TTTHHHUUUNNNBBBEEERRRGGG

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 17:56, JohnfromUK said:

Thanks for that link.   I annotated the “heavy” precipitation days charts for summer and winter in an attempt to show some of the country’s major flood events, but did not see any obvious correlation.   Certainly the severe floods in Lynmouth (1952) and East Anglia (1953) seem to have followed periods when the country as a whole had experienced fewer than normal “heavy” precipitation days.

Perhaps these rainfall charts based on national averages don’t really tell us much.   Actual flooding tend to be rather more local.   Lynmouth and Glenridding (2015) flooded when very large quantities of rain fell within a day or so, on land that was either of inherently low permeability or else already saturated.   The 1953 East Anglia floods were associated with exceptionally high tides, exacerbated by low atmospheric pressure and high winds, rather than heavy rainfall.

1139775012_Heavyprecipitationdays.gif.e12b7b7619b1c39591e2ea3adf928eb7.gif