A few Archery questions ?

BADGER.BRAD

I'm intending to have a go this spring at a spot of Archery with my wife at a local club but I have a few Archery related questions  if anyone can answer them it would be appreciated.  Here we go ! How does draw weight on a crossbow related to arrow speed compared to a standard bow/ Recurve bow ?  Why is it more difficult to shoot a Longbow than a recurve bow ? Is there any aiming devices that can be used with a Bow ? This one will probably sounds daft to anyone who has used a bow. But is there a rest on the bow which holds the arrow in position ? I remember shooting home made bows as a kid and you had to balance the arrow on your hand and then try and shoot . I've seen people using a release on a bow ,once pulled how is this released under tension ?

Thanks everyone.

Most if not all bows have an arrow rest unless it's a long bow, I wouldn't try and shoot one if your learning. 

I would start with a basic three piece recurve bow, these come in different sizes and draw weights, the high the draw weight the harder it is to pull back and keep on aim. Short limbs on a bow also can make it more difficult to shoot as a beginner. Something around 35lb draw weight will be ideal. 

Some recurve bows have pin sights, usually 3 these you use like a rectical in a telescopic sight. I never shot a bow with them, I shot instinctively and just judge the point of aim. 

Most compound bows have sights on, these bows are the easiest to shoot when wanting a heavy drawweight. 

IMHO basic is best, I shot in a class called hunting tackle, basic recurve, no sights and wooden arrows. If you choose to use metal arrows it's classed as bare bow. 

Hopefully covered a few questions 

Are you wanting to shoot targets or field targets. Target archery you will probably needs pin sights to compete competitively 

Thanks for the replies everyone,I started with the idea of a crossbow but as a couple of you pointed out there is very limited places where you can shoot one so then thought about standard archery., partly as something me and the wife can do together at a cheaper cost than the clays ( It gets quite expensive when there is two of use shooting and only one earning ) and partly as an interest for me. I am more interested in field targets and am not really competitive so would be looking to shoot for fun rather than competition. Do you shoot an arrow or is there another term for it ?

Arrow, the feathers are called Fletchings. Wooden arrows are fun to make, and time consuming. Aliminuim arrows are cheaper to buy as a set until you bend or break one. Carbon arrows are shot by the compound lads usually, these are expensive to buy. 

I would try and find a field target archery club, its not as clicky as target archery and nearest thing to hunting you can do in this country. 

A nice recurve bow can be as nice as a top end  shotgun. I used a black Douglas, beautiful to look at and shoot. American flat bows are nice as well, they are one piece not a riser (the handle) and two limbs bolted on. 

We do a bit of field archery around here -- mostly using an "American flatbow" which is kinda a mix between a recurve and a longbow, quite simple, but less temperamental than longbows. The "sights" go from "zero" in the case of longbows to multi-transformer-style mega gizmos for some target shooter or compounds.

I do recommend field archery, it's kinda like a round of sporting clays, save than you have to go and pickup your pellets after shooting :-) :-) -- seriously, to start with you spend way more time looking for your arrows than actually shooting them :-) :-)

dude ive been giving this matter some considerable thought , and i must confess that im beginning to get a little concerned  . have you given any thought as to how a bow(or rather , bow string) might interfere with you zz top style of beard ? ,  im a little concerned , that as you release the bow string , it may become rapidly entangled in your beard (think threading) , and as a result , your fine and manly beard , may be viciously ripped from your fine and manly  face , and catapulted downrange , like a 200mph medieval merkin ! .:hmm:.

It could be worse Mel what happens if it isn't ripped from my face and me and my beard are sent down range at 200mph ? I Did get myself into a pickle once because of the beard  when caving. I was about 20ft down a 100 foot  drop when my beard got stuck in the abseiling as-sender. I couldn't go up or down so had to come off the rope jam my self into the narrow down shaft with an 80 foot drop below me, get my beard out then reattach myself to the rope before I could continue, after that I started to wear a neckerchief around my face to stop it happening again.

A dog is considered dangerous if it is out of control, injures someone or makes them worried that it may injure them. If this happens you should contact the West Midlands Police to view your options.