Tesla

The Heron

16 hours ago, AVB said:

I also get a new software download on average once/month.

Microsoft Windows also provides frequent updates, because so many of the promised features don't work properly, and because experience has shown that a tech-savvy teenager with a laptop in the bedroom can hack into computers all over the world.   Are Tesla staff really so much cleverer than those at Microsoft?

3 hours ago, AVB said:

....the lack of Tesla Service centres isn’t as big a problem as it would be for other cars as 1) they don’t require servicing and 2) when they break down they have different ways of fixing the problem. 

No servicing?   No routine checking of lights, steering, tyres, etc?

It is my impression that the majority of faults on modern cars are related to electrical/electronic equipment, and that repair usually involves replacing components (little chance nowadays of fixing something at the roadside with the aid of a multi-meter and a roll of insulation tape).   I am uncertain what is actually meant by "...when they break down they have different ways of fixing the problem." 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched some car review channels like TFL where they buy and long term test the Tesla etc.

They love the smooth fast power and silent running but faults they e had to take the car hours of driving to be fixed.

The charging times issues have been a big problem, if you use as a daily driver on s 30 minute commute to work, at some point you have to go to a super charger for a top up. The house chargers couldn't put enough in overnight for what was used during the daily run.

Technology is getting better but it's still not there yet.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

The charging times issues have been a big problem, if you use as a daily driver on s 30 minute commute to work, at some point you have to go to a super charger for a top up. The house chargers couldn't put enough in overnight for what was used during the daily run.

Are you sure about that. Top it up at home each night. And a range of over 200 miles on each charge. It would be perfect for 30min commute each day.

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Have a watch of the video yourself the fast lane car channel on YouTube. 

I'm only quoting what they were saying on the video.  Tesla model 3 twin motor model.

I will try to watch the video later but What you state doesn’t make sense. Normal home car chargers are single phase 32 amp delivering 7.2kw. So, depending on battery size, it would take between 4 and 13 hours to charge from totally empty to full. Regardless, a 30 minute commute would not mean you are charging from empty anyway. 

9 hours ago, figgy said:

I've watched some car review channels like TFL  .....  The charging times issues have been a big problem, if you use as a daily driver on s 30 minute commute to work, at some point you have to go to a super charger for a top up. The house chargers couldn't put enough in overnight for what was used during the daily run.

2 hours ago, AVB said:

I will try to watch the video later but What you state doesn’t make sense. Normal home car chargers are single phase 32 amp delivering 7.2kw. So, depending on battery size, it would take between 4 and 13 hours to charge from totally empty to full. 

Did I hear the charging rates correctly on that video?   I thought they said 120V supply with 16A fuse >> 3 miles/hour, and 240V supply with 16A fuse >> 30 miles/hour, which seems a bit strange  (same current, double the voltage, get 10 times the charge rate?).   Might the charging rate with the 120V/16A "house charger" have been deliberately restricted, perhaps to minimise degradation of the battery?

Certainly the video made it sound as though the Tesla batteries need pretty careful treatment, the viewer being advised to avoid running the battery down to a very low level, avoid charging it fully (as far as possible), and minimise use of high speed chargers.