New resevior season !

Ferret664

Who is looking forward to the new seasons on the reseviors ! I personally can't wait. My first day will actually be my first ever comp as fishing the scierra pairs with a friend on Grafham on March 15th really looking forward to the experience . Hoping to try a few new places this year as well , like draycote,  ravensthorpe and head back to Rutland and pitsford.  Just love being afloat 

I have had some great days at Draycote, particularly along the dam wall but fishing from a boat.  All but finished my fly fishing days now. I did turn to fishing still water after I just could not manage to do what was my passion, fishing dry fly on small streams.  Anyone wanting squirrel tails for tying know where to drop a line. Have one from yesterday and probably the best tail I have seen.  Just a shame to waste them. Already shipped a lifetimes supply to Northern Ireland.  Tight lines to all.

Edited by Walker570

49 minutes ago, old'un said:

I don’t think there is a closed season for Rainbow Trout on still water.

There isn’t for rainbow trout but Most reseviors close for a Small period .grafham for example finished on jan31st and opens again March 6th . All Anglian reseviors shut for a small amount of time 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have had some great days at Draycote, particularly along the dam wall but fishing from a boat.  All but finished my fly fishing days now. I did turn to fishing still water after I just could not manage to do what was my passion, fishing dry fly on small streams.  Anyone wanting squirrel tails for tying know where to drop a line. Have one from yesterday and probably the best tail I have seen.  Just a shame to waste them. Already shipped a lifetimes supply to Northern Ireland.  Tight lines to all.

That’s a shame how come you can’t fish those anymore ? 

Nice to see a few people are excited as I am for it all to begin again . Can’t beat a bit of spring buzzer and nymph fishing from a drifting boat 

Edited by Ferret664

19 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

...how come you can't fish those any more ?

Dry fly fishing on small steams involves a lot of standing and watching, then stalking and again standing and watching. My sciatica does not like that at all. Tried carrying a small stool but sometimes climbing up and down baks etc etc it didn't work and as one gets older and less flexible you have to find other entertainment.  I also enjoyed tying my own flies as well, so that went.  I now do a lot of shooting where I can sit and ambush or have stuff driven to me.   I really should have started my fishing on still waters then moved to streams so I wouldn't be so narrow minded.

I fished Foremark with the Foremark Club for a few seasons and a great crowd of piscators male and female.  I don't know who runs Foremark these days but I had some great times there and with the club.

Edited by Walker570

Oh ok I see . I’ve always wanted to try river fishing hope to one day but all my gear is for reseviors and I must say I love it haha just being afloat casting a team of nymphs or buzzers is what I really enjoy . 

I too shoot a lot I’m a part time gamekeeper . Love my shooting and I’m glad I have fly fishing to look forward to after the season ends as I hate the season ending I love it so much ! But it’s all a cycle and like I said at least then I have the fly fishing to look forward too till early August then back to the pheasants 😁

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, did you not like Farmoor Res Dave

Yes was a member of the club when it had Farmoor 1 and the bank fishing was great but I prefer boat fishing. Never really got into it at Farmoor 2 due to windsurfers and sailing boats. Pitsford and Draycote were larger and more natural so more enjoyable from the boat.

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yes was a member of the club when it had Farmoor 1 and the bank fishing was great but I prefer boat fishing. Never really got into it at Farmoor 2 due to windsurfers and sailing boats. Pitsford and Draycote were larger and more natural so more enjoyable from the boat.

hello, so was i Dave in Farmoor 1 club for many years until we had a meeting when TWA were going to put up the rent, it was voted out,  fished many times the lake in Stanton Harcourt, do  you remember Bernie and his wife ? my son and i got to Farmoor 2 a few times a year.

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, so was i Dave in Farmoor 1 club for many years until we had a meeting when TWA were going to put up the rent, it was voted out,  fished many times the lake in Stanton Harcourt, do  you remember Bernie and his wife ? my son and i got to Farmoor 2 a few times a year.

Yes I do remember I am sure I was at that meeting too. Now I have the privilege to be on the river or hill lochs as I have them on my doorstep in South West Scotland. Good as the fishing at Farmoor was it doesn’t beat the tranquility of the hill with only sheep and grouse for company.

2 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yes I do remember I am sure I was at that meeting too. Now I have the privilege to be on the river or hill lochs as I have them on my doorstep in South West Scotland. Good as the fishing at Farmoor was it doesn’t beat the tranquility of the hill with only sheep and grouse for company.

hello, ok thanks to reply, have a good season :good:

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2020 at 18:06, yates said:

I’ve committed to being afloat on Carsington, Elinor and Eyebrook this year. Carsington will probably be the first on 4th April. I may try to squeeze in ladybower before that if the water temp gets to a decent level

Was at carsington Thursday for a couple of hours.

had fun 4 in the boat all safely returned ready for you