answers...monbiot/avery/packam

islandgun

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/ouse-washes/

Quite a few will know the washes on here,  Some of the RSPB management methods seem at odds with the above trio. i.e 2000 cattle grazed over the summer to keep the vegetation perfect, [how does that work for monbiot and the vegans].  probably find that avery's plan for re-wilding and planting trees would also be inconsistent with the real land manages of the reserve. also I see they practice predator control, although packam insist's the natural world doesn't need it. The Washes aren't the only place that benefits from livestock grazing and active management. Im thinking uplands, moorlands, along with the coastal habitats, to name a few.. Oh yes they are also keeping the ditches open on the reserve

Edited by islandgun

Think even they would have trouble trying to influence anything on the washes, remember at the end of the day they just make up a large drainage channel when needed and are not a natural thing but were dug out so how does that stand in thier natural environment. 

27 minutes ago, Konnie said:

Think even they would have trouble trying to influence anything on the washes, remember at the end of the day they just make up a large drainage channel when needed and are not a natural thing but were dug out so how does that stand in thier natural environment. 

Thats the thing created in the 17th century and managed by humans ever since. and the way to keep it working is to carry on is using the traditional management tools, forget wilding, keep on grazing, coppicing, and predator control, which is the exact opposite of the plans prescribed by  packam avery and monbiot..I would be very interested in how they would be able argue any different

20 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thats the thing created in the 17th century and managed by humans ever since. and the way to keep it working is to carry on is using the traditional management tools, forget wilding, keep on grazing, coppicing, and predator control, which is the exact opposite of the plans prescribed by  packam avery and monbiot..I would be very interested in how they would be able argue any different

I expect they would say breach the banks and let the surrounding farmland flood creating near original fen.

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I expect they would say breach the banks and let the surrounding farmland flood creating near original fen.

Hmm You could be right, flood most of Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, and a lump of Norfolk... apart from the displaced people there wouldnt be anything for the vegans to eat

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Hmm You could be right, flood most of Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, and a lump of Norfolk... apart from the displaced people there wouldnt be anything for the vegans to eat

Can't say that I have seen many avocado, quinoa or tofu plantations out that way 😉😆