Trout season 2020 catch reports

Ferret664

I would like to open this thread for all catch reports this trout season , river , small still water and large reservoirs .

if anyone has been out I would love to hear it .

im out Thursday at Dever Springs not my usual sort of fly fishing 

but hey it will be a experience will post a report .

looking to try my hand at stalking trout with stalking bugs should be interesting 

Here’s to a good season 

tight lines 

ferret 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

I would like to open this thread for all catch reports this trout season , river , small still water and large reservoirs .

if anyone has been out I would love to hear it .

im out Thursday at Dever Springs not my usual sort of fly fishing 

but hey it will be a experience will post a report .

looking to try my hand at stalking trout with stalking bugs should be interesting 

Here’s to a good season 

tight lines 

ferret 

Only fished Dever once, hope you enjoy the experience and look forward to hearing about it.

Well just heading home from dever.  Not really sure what to say about the experience as it was blowing a gale from the moment I was there till I left and tipped with rain the whole time which was a real shame . But anyway to the fishing  it was rock hard I don't know if the horrendous weather put them off but I managed one of 6 1/2lb and one of 5 1/2lb . Biggest one to a tungsten headed bloodworm and the second one to a booby on di5 sweep not that I like to use them but when needs must ! There's wasn't many people there today and everyone struggled ! Also the water was very murky cause of all the rain recently which was a real shame as was hoping to do some stalking but can't be helped . The breakfast there was 5 star though 

4 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

Well just heading home from dever.  Not really sure what to say about the experience as it was blowing a gale from the moment I was there till I left and tipped with rain the whole time which was a real shame . But anyway to the fishing  it was rock hard I don't know if the horrendous weather put them off but I managed one of 6 1/2lb and one of 5 1/2lb . Biggest one to a tungsten headed bloodworm and the second one to a booby on di5 sweep not that I like to use them but when needs must ! There's wasn't many people there today and everyone struggled ! Also the water was very murky cause of all the rain recently which was a real shame as was hoping to do some stalking but can't be helped . The breakfast there was 5 star though 

hello, nice report despite the weather, 2 very good fish, and your tactics,  smoked trout or Barbi ??  Letchlade Trout fishery have a big fish lake,  i have fished 1 time many years ago as a guest, i am more liking to Bushyleaze. anyway good luck to more trout fishing, cheers

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, nice report despite the weather, 2 very good fish, and your tactics,  smoked trout or Barbi ??  Letchlade Trout fishery have a big fish lake,  i have fished 1 time many years ago as a guest, i am more liking to Bushyleaze. anyway good luck to more trout fishing, cheers

They will be smoked with the smoking gun I got for christmas 😊  letchdale is on my list to get to before April when all of Grafham full opens( they only allow fishing in half the reservoir till 1st April) then that's the only place I will be 😁 

14 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

They will be smoked with the smoking gun I got for christmas 😊  letchdale is on my list to get to before April when all of Grafham full opens( they only allow fishing in half the reservoir till 1st April) then that's the only place I will be 😁 

hello, ok, that sound mmmmmmm tasty,  let me know when you go to Letchlade, my son was looking to have a few hours somewhere near, i usualy look around the junk shops and buy lunch, sorry dad forgot me wallet ha ha 

On 20/02/2020 at 14:38, Walker570 said:

If any of you fancy a trip over to Europe for some excellent trout fishing in the most stunning surroundings and gin clear rivers let me know. I have a good contact over there.

This was a two pound wild rainbow on a 5ft 6 inch split cane wand and a tiny dry fly. 

P1010040.JPG

Thanks very kind maybe one day 😊

On 20/02/2020 at 14:55, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, ok, that sound mmmmmmm tasty,  let me know when you go to Letchlade, my son was looking to have a few hours somewhere near, i usualy look around the junk shops and buy lunch, sorry dad forgot me wallet ha ha 

Haha will do hopefully mid March time will post on here.  

My biggest of today 6.5lb 

IMG-20200220-WA0009.jpegphone pictures don't do their size justice!! 

20200221_192202.jpg

Edited by Ferret664

Well I am totally at a loss what the hell I do this season. The best wild brown trout fishing near me is on the Usk which my brother and I have had many seasons on and did very well on the dry, but is nearly a 100 mile round trip each time..but omg the fish are something else.  My salmon and sewin fishing has vanished  due to very low fish numbers in the rivers and droughts in the summer months..after over 50 yrs of top fishing it is hard to entertain even given it a go these days, so my double hander's and big singles are just gathering dust with all my 100's of home tied flies ...and I am really missing casting a fly rod big time putting out a dry over a rising trout or doing a triple salchow with the 14 footer in a fast flowing river.

My bass fishing is hard work also.. coz of work I am missing the best tides and wind conditions and on weekends people are everywhere.. so the loneliness of the long distance fisherman is long gone...

I will have to work out what to do this year and get my head down...so I hope the rest of you do well this season and have some memorable " fights" and escape from the hum drum of everyday life for just a short while.

MM

50 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

Well I am totally at a loss what the hell I do this season. The best wild brown trout fishing near me is on the Usk which my brother and I have had many seasons on and did very well on the dry, but is nearly a 100 mile round trip each time..but omg the fish are something else.  My salmon and sewin fishing has vanished  due to very low fish numbers in the rivers and droughts in the summer months..after over 50 yrs of top fishing it is hard to entertain even given it a go these days, so my double hander's and big singles are just gathering dust with all my 100's of home tied flies ...and I am really missing casting a fly rod big time putting out a dry over a rising trout or doing a triple salchow with the 14 footer in a fast flowing river.

My bass fishing is hard work also.. coz of work I am missing the best tides and wind conditions and on weekends people are everywhere.. so the loneliness of the long distance fisherman is long gone...

I will have to work out what to do this year and get my head down...so I hope the rest of you do well this season and have some memorable " fights" and escape from the hum drum of everyday life for just a short while.

MM

hello, i can understand how you feel, beach fishing is not as good as when i started you could get a few flatties and if lucky a bass or 2, now the drive is  60 plus miles each way and lucky to catch anything, i do not know how it fishes off Chesil beach these days, i did have a weekend fishing the Usk, lovely river although now i expect in flood, did you go in Sweets tackle shop? hope it is still going, Jean took it over when i called in for a permit, hope you can get some fishing this year, cheers     

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hello opp, no I have never been to the shop but I did meet Lionel Sweet many years ago and he gave me a casting lesson I have to say for the short time I was with him ..what a lovely man he was.  Nice for you to be on the Usk which bit were you on, I was on the Gwent Anglers water ..cracking water big browns and when they were on emerger's omg what a sight.  One day off a high bank I saw two big browns fighting each other over a 6 inch trout one of them had duffed up and wasn't letting go..hell of a sight.

Yes fishing is becoming hard work these days, I do like going down to Devon and Cornwall and fish the small streams now with the West Country Passport lot, good value well priced fishing and in beautiful countryside. I will get out somewhere this year or kill myself trying lol.

MM

Sweet

Edited by madmax666

9 hours ago, madmax666 said:

Hello opp, no I have never been to the shop but I did met Lionel Sweet many years ago and he gave me a casting lesson I have to say for the short time I was with him ..what a lovely man he was.  Nice for you to be on the Usk which bit were you on, I was on the Gwent Anglers water ..cracking water big browns and when they were on emerger's omg what a sight.  One day off a high bank I saw two big browns fighting each other over a 6 inch trout one of them had duffed up and wasn't letting go..hell of a sight.

Yes fishing is becoming hard work these days, I do like going down to Devon and Cornwall and fishing the small streams now with the West Country Passport lot, good value well priced fishing and in beautiful countryside. I will get out somewhere this year or kill myself trying lol.

MM

Sweet

hello, the shop was like going back in time to the 1930s, not like a modern fishing shops, been in Usk town many many years and still going, owned by Jean Williams, i bought a ticket from there for the town water, i gave her a new trout pattern and she made and sent me some, only been  sea fishing in Cornwall but have fished in Devon quite a few times, i did like beach fishing off Chesil beach, cheers

Fished Dan y Parc water on the Usk a few times many years ago, as you said a cracking river, holding a high population of big browns!.....I also recall a memorable tussle with a 9lb Salmon on the upper beat! Also, but unfortunately, again in the past, I’ve fished the Cornish rivers, mainly the Camel and Fowey, the Fowey being my favourite, a lovely little river occasionally full of sea trout!

As for Devon, the Erm used to (may still?) hold a good head big Seatrout (from personal observation).........alas it was mostly private, so never managed to get on it! 🙁

P1  I think that bit was above me nice work on the salmon tho, I think I had 3 off the usk when I was there but I found them hard work they seemed to run through my bit without stopping.  Down south I fished about 8/10 of their rivers and made some now life long friends from there its a lovely part of the world and I like the small streams.  Aye your are right they have some very good seatrout and salmon water, I think one of the rivers cant remember which starts in February as well.

I have fly fished the Camel but at the sea end at Padstow and Daymer near Hawkers cove for bass, had to wade out far as possible as people "will" walk behind you when your casting😁.

opp yes I like the old shops too it gives you a comfy feeling in them, I have also started LRF in the last 3 years and will be doing some more down that way as I did a bit in Mevagissey last summer.

15 hours ago, madmax666 said:

Hello opp, no I have never been to the shop but I did meet Lionel Sweet many years ago and he gave me a casting lesson I have to say for the short time I was with him ..what a lovely man he was.  Nice for you to be on the Usk which bit were you on, I was on the Gwent Anglers water ..cracking water big browns and when they were on emerger's omg what a sight.  One day off a high bank I saw two big browns fighting each other over a 6 inch trout one of them had duffed up and wasn't letting go..hell of a sight.

Yes fishing is becoming hard work these days, I do like going down to Devon and Cornwall and fish the small streams now with the West Country Passport lot, good value well priced fishing and in beautiful countryside. I will get out somewhere this year or kill myself trying lol.

MM

Sweet

hello, these flies can be good when all else fails, Mondays Child check out the original pattern, can be good for Letchlade waters

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Fished Dan y Parc water on the Usk a few times many years ago, as you said a cracking river, holding a high population of big browns!.....I also recall a memorable tussle with a 9lb Salmon on the upper beat! Also, but unfortunately, again in the past, I’ve fished the Cornish rivers, mainly the Camel and Fowey, the Fowey being my favourite, a lovely little river occasionally full of sea trout!

As for Devon, the Erm used to (may still?) hold a good head big Seatrout (from personal observation).........alas it was mostly private, so never managed to get on it! 🙁

hello, never caught a sea trout, i did hook one once in North Wales took off like a steam train, only on light gear ???

If any of you fancy a trip over to Europe for some excellent trout fishing in the most stunning surroundings and gin clear rivers let me know. I have a good contact over there.

This was a two pound wild rainbow on a 5ft 6 inch split cane wand and a tiny dry fly. 

P1010040.JPG

C'mon, cough to it, you have foul hooked that bloomin rock    !        🙄

P1010040.JPG

Looks amazing! Any chance of a bit more info - by all means PM. Won't be this year but can always dream!!

I've put a day fishing up on my local brook, in the WTT auction - https://www.wildtrout.org/auction/1-day-for-two-rods-fishing-the-wellow-brook

It's tricky wild fishing, on a fairly overgrown stream, the fish aren't big but are lovely condition. The WTT have given us a lot of guidance over the past few years with in-stream management, with a pollution incident (from a tsunami of slurry) nearly wiping our section out completely in 2013 - http://www.bathangling.co.uk/tsunami-of-slurry-kills-fish-after-pouring-into-river-near-bath/

I hope the winning bidder enjoys the day, although if it goes for much more than the guide price I will probably include a pub or riverside lunch. As our annual subs are only £130. But it is for a good cause! :)