Trout season 2020 catch reports

Ferret664

Well fished Grafham yesterday which was more like the north sea . Blowing a gale and pouring with rain and it's the first time out on a boat i have ever actually felt sea sick which was a first for me 😂😂 we headed over to the north shore but it was far to windy to fish even with the drogue out so headed to the south shore for some shelter.  Had a fish follow and my boat partner lost one . Him fishing a di3 with a snake and me fishing a di5 sweep with a tadpole.  Eventually the wind dropped enough for us to venture  back to the north shore.  We're eventually we found some fish . I took 5 to the washing line on a Hoover line 4 took the blob booby on point and one took a size 12 black buzzer which made my day nice overwintered fish just going over 3lb . My friend took 3 fish one about 3.5lb all to a black snake.  So in the end 8 to the boat which considering the weather I didn't think was a bad result for us 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/02/2020 at 11:03, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, there is nothing to beat fishing for wild trout with a split cane rod and silk line, always had a day on the Avon around Salisbury every year with my fishing friend when we were in the SADC,

hello, my sons just booked us a day on the Kennet in mayfly time

It was deemed that golf wasn't.

On 16/03/2020 at 08:24, Ferret664 said:

Well fished Grafham yesterday which was more like the north sea . Blowing a gale and pouring with rain and it's the first time out on a boat i have ever actually felt sea sick which was a first for me 😂😂 we headed over to the north shore but it was far to windy to fish even with the drogue out so headed to the south shore for some shelter.  Had a fish follow and my boat partner lost one . Him fishing a di3 with a snake and me fishing a di5 sweep with a tadpole.  Eventually the wind dropped enough for us to venture  back to the north shore.  We're eventually we found some fish . I took 5 to the washing line on a Hoover line 4 took the blob booby on point and one took a size 12 black buzzer which made my day nice overwintered fish just going over 3lb . My friend took 3 fish one about 3.5lb all to a black snake.  So in the end 8 to the boat which considering the weather I didn't think was a bad result for us 

I take it that you er..................cleaned up then  ?      😄

On 24/03/2020 at 21:39, Westley said:

It was deemed that golf wasn't.

I take it that you er..................cleaned up then  ?      😄

Damn auto correct haha hoverer line! 

On 24/03/2020 at 22:44, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes shame but needs must, if Farmoors shut they could sort out those big black birds, must have been 200 last time i was there

Yes it's for the best really.  Such a shame I had promised myslef I would fish much more regularly this year and was doing so well and had been out that last 4 week's in a row and Grafham was just starting to turn on😭😭😭

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Living in Scotland I am not allowed out even living 150 yards from the Nith. Itching to get out but it’ll be rammed as soon as Nicola lets us go.

You’d think it would be busy.......but I haven’t seen another fisherman in two sessions!

Went to our syndicate Rainbow reservoir on Thursday. Gold headed blue flash damsel on point with red diawl bach on dropper.

3rd cast 1.5lb on diawl bach. A few casts later 1.75lb on damsel. A while later I got snapped off on the diawl bach.

Retied with red cruncher on dropper and missed quite a few tugs then got a double hookup. The fish took in opposite directions and the point fish snapped off but I landed the dropper, another 1.75lb.

Quite a few fish moving. Fish limit is 6 fish over 7 days so packed up to leave 3 fish for Sunday.

It was lovely to be out, Cuckoos, Swallows and all sorts of insect life so just sat with coffee for a while just appreciating it all.

On 16/05/2020 at 08:39, KFC said:

Went to our syndicate Rainbow reservoir on Thursday. Gold headed blue flash damsel on point with red diawl bach on dropper.

3rd cast 1.5lb on diawl bach. A few casts later 1.75lb on damsel. A while later I got snapped off on the diawl bach.

Retied with red cruncher on dropper and missed quite a few tugs then got a double hookup. The fish took in opposite directions and the point fish snapped off but I landed the dropper, another 1.75lb.

Quite a few fish moving. Fish limit is 6 fish over 7 days so packed up to leave 3 fish for Sunday.

It was lovely to be out, Cuckoos, Swallows and all sorts of insect life so just sat with coffee for a while just appreciating it all.

What a difference a few days make.

Went yesterday morning. Wind westerly instead of north so had to fish a different bank.

Three of us struggled to catch.

Eventually my buddy hooked up just under the surface and landed a 1.75lb and a while later I got one on red diawl bach just under the surface too. We'd all been fishing deep because it was so bright and we saw no rises.

The other chap, who's our club chairman🙄 blanked.

Don't forget suncream chaps, my arms got a bit burned.😬

Fished chigborough yesterday with my dad . Turned up to bright conditions and a bit of a wind. Was testing out my new 5 weight which didn't like being pushed into the wind . Started off with a washing line set up.  Size 14 hothead diawl bach , size 12 cruncher and fab on point after a hour my dad was the first to pick up a trout on a blob . Then 10 minutes later I took one on the diawl bach . Then as the heat of the day increased and the wind picked up it got a lot harder . Was quite a lot of people fishing as well so was hard to find a spot that had been rested a while . After getting fed up of trying to cast into the wind for 2 hours we moved round with the wind on our back and first cast I missed a solid tug and my dad landed 1 and lost one to a bloodworm like fly I had tied . Then I picked up my second and my 3rd to the fab and a size 14 black cormorant.  My dad also picked up another fish one a pink blob . I then switched to the hoverer line and moved spots and hooked 3 fish in 4 casts losing one of them.  Took a few more there biggest 3.5lbs and my dad took another to the bloodworm. In total I landed 8 and lost one and my dad landed 4 and lost 4  . A very enjoyable day tough to start with but turned out good . Was nice to be back on the water 

3 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

Fished chigborough yesterday with my dad . Turned up to bright conditions and a bit of a wind. Was testing out my new 5 weight which didn't like being pushed into the wind . Started off with a washing line set up.  Size 14 hothead diawl bach , size 12 cruncher and fab on point after a hour my dad was the first to pick up a trout on a blob . Then 10 minutes later I took one on the diawl bach . Then as the heat of the day increased and the wind picked up it got a lot harder . Was quite a lot of people fishing as well so was hard to find a spot that had been rested a while . After getting fed up of trying to cast into the wind for 2 hours we moved round with the wind on our back and first cast I missed a solid tug and my dad landed 1 and lost one to a bloodworm like fly I had tied . Then I picked up my second and my 3rd to the fab and a size 14 black cormorant.  My dad also picked up another fish one a pink blob . I then switched to the hoverer line and moved spots and hooked 3 fish in 4 casts losing one of them.  Took a few more there biggest 3.5lbs and my dad took another to the bloodworm. In total I landed 8 and lost one and my dad landed 4 and lost 4  . A very enjoyable day tough to start with but turned out good . Was nice to be back on the water 

What are they doing with payments at Chigborough? I'm meant to be confined to barracks until the end of June, but was thinking of nipping out all masked up at some point just to avoid going completely stir crazy - I assume it's mobbed at the moment?

You have to go onto their website and book online . Card only can't do cash when you get there . It is rook hall especially for some.reason even though its the smaller one ? They're allowing 30 people a day and I would say 20 of them were on the smaller lake . Though most people left by 2.30pm 

Fished chigborough again yesterday.  Tough going was rammed when me and my girlfriend arrived at midday . Had to fish into the strong wind for the first hour or so but by 2.30pm we practically had home water to ourselves.  Had a strange day fish were plucking once at size 14 cormorants twiddle back but that was all . Had two comorants ripped off which I've never had before  and lost 2 fish . My girlfriend took the first fish to a hit ***** buzzer under the bung and was starting to get some takes though hitting them seemed difficult for her.  I finally managed a fish on size 14 pink cormorant and then all went hard again apart from a few missed takes didn't get another fish till the very last  cast of the day when I took a rainbow to a damsel under the bung . I don't like fishing the bung myself just find it soo boring but when needs must ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a cheeky little trip to Thornwood Springs on Tuesday as it was my birthday and my first trip out since lockdown. Only 78 degrees, so not really fishing weather, but hey ho - Had a go on dries off the top as there was plenty of activity, but no love for my line - Switched to a sinking line with a black and silver humungous woolly ****** on the end and couldn't fish for catching - I was getting a fish every cast. Fantastic day out

The ******* is a burger with one less r and one more g

Edited by Fatcatsplat

Fished grafham last Tuesday 2nd June . Which was opening day after lockdown had a cracking day with my dad we had 19 trout to the boat from 2.5lb to 5lb all around north  shore  to the boils by the damn . Diawl Bach and blobs accounted for a few but the hothead damsel turned out the winner with 14 fish on a di5 sweep ripped back just under the service . The quality of the fish is second to none and nice to see well grown on fish that have clearly thrived in grafham rich waters under lockdown and packed on a bit of weight . Can’t compare to fighting quality to anything else . League of their own .