Cartridges for side by side

The good old Eley Grand Prix always seemed to do the job for me if I did my end of the deal and I am sure the pigeons have not got any tougher. Any 1 to 1 1/8th ounce load of #6s will do the job.  18g of #7s out of my Mossy modded 410 seems to also upset them quite a bit out to 35yrds.  Just put them in the pattern at a sensible range.

With a side by side being quite light you won't want to be putting a 32gram 5 through it at pigeons...done that with my yeoman and got beat to bits, I would go with a standard clay cartridge and keep your range sensible. Even if you were doing short range decoying a 24gram load would probably be ample.

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

Cheddite do their Universal Trap in 28gm with fibre wads. They're marked as 7.5 but in reality they're English 7's and 2.4mm in diameter. Also available with plaswads. 

+1 to,that 

I use them in both O/U and SxS.....both fibre

Main reason is the cost as we are mainly missing clays ...and the importer is Malmo which is but a short hop from one of our shooting grounds.  Have tried loads of others but keep going back to these. One of our lot has a dodgy shoulder so he is on Cheddite Sub Sonics which he swears by ( in a good way) as he was going to give up until he tried them

13 hours ago, NorfolkAYA said:

Anyone recommend a good all round cartridge for side by side for pigeons and the odd clays? Doesn't seem to many ounce 7 shot around anymore.

Cheers Pete 

Lyalvale English Sporter 12ga, 28g 7.5 will kill pigeons all day long out to 40+ yards, around £200 per thousand.

You don’t need big loads to kill pigeons.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Lyalvale English Sporter 12ga, 28g 7.5 will kill pigeons all day long out to 40+ yards, around £200 per thousand.

You don’t need big loads to kill pigeons.

No, just sufficient - energy and pellets. Didn't mention the following earlier as my 12s prefer the ones mentioned but the 20 prefers the Express. I did pattern some 12b Express Special Game 7s and noticed that they're coming in at c370/oz -7&1/4? The 20b that I use are likewise. These do have advantages if you have a lower end load weight and you're not being silly range/energy wise. Not enough difference to make a big song and dance about, perhaps, but handy ne-ertheless.

16 hours ago, NorfolkAYA said:

Anyone recommend a good all round cartridge for side by side for pigeons and the odd clays? Doesn't seem to many ounce 7 shot around anymore.

Cheers Pete 

Continental 7 1/2's are English 7's. I like Eley First Select in 1oz (28g) 7 1/2's (Eng. 7's) fibre. Not bought any for a while but they were cheap.

For clays CompX 21 and 28 are hard to beat, for 2 1/2" chambered guns. If your gun is 2 3/4" then Eley Select are also an option, very soft; their 24g are nice to shoot.

For game I recommend Hull Imperial Game, they have various weights like 26g, 28g and 30g at least, from 6 to 4 -- are very soft too (pretty much equivalent to CompX), and they are not stupidly expensive like most other game carts.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Spanish owned now.

Titaniums are euro sized, most of their game range is english sized.

22 hours ago, NorfolkAYA said:

Cheers Pete 

Euro sized clay cartridges in Euro 7.5 are English No7.

Better and less expensive than the game cartridge equivilent.