Cartridges for side by side

I have been looking for a 65mm pigeon load for some time now and cannot find a stockist.   Plenty of  expensive game loads in this chamber length and plenty of clay pigeon loads also.  It would seem as if manufacturers and stockists have abandoned the pigeon shooter with a traditional s x s  and now offer pigeon loads in 70mm only.  Perhaps they assume that as  s x s shooters we are wealthy individuals and can afford the cost of 65mm game loads for our pigeon shooting.

Blackpowder

On 18/02/2020 at 22:49, Rob85 said:

With a side by side being quite light you won't want to be putting a 32gram 5 through it at pigeons...done that with my yeoman and got beat to bits, I would go with a standard clay cartridge and keep your range sensible. Even if you were doing short range decoying a 24gram load would probably be ample.

Depends on the gun... I use 32 5s for pheasant (so not as many rounds as pigeon) through my 486 with no issues.

On 20/02/2020 at 18:31, prem1234 said:

I use Hull Imperial Game through my SxS, my 16 year old son used them through his light O/U game gun as well....As with all game cartridges they are not the cheapest but they are kind on the shoulder....We also shoot CompX on the clays and are good value and not punchy either.

.Same here!  Generally use Comp X for clays and Imperial Game for pigeon/partridge.  Sometimes treat myself to some Three Crowns (paper), especially if I'm taking out an older gun for the day.  The 21g Comp X in particular are very SxS friendly.

12 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

I have been looking for a 65mm pigeon load for some time now and cannot find a stockist.   Plenty of  expensive game loads in this chamber length and plenty of clay pigeon loads also.  It would seem as if manufacturers and stockists have abandoned the pigeon shooter with a traditional s x s  and now offer pigeon loads in 70mm only.  Perhaps they assume that as  s x s shooters we are wealthy individuals and can afford the cost of 65mm game loads for our pigeon shooting.

Blackpowder

hello, your right Blackpowder, very few cartridges in 65 mm cases, 

On 19/02/2020 at 13:38, Penelope said:

Continental 7 1/2's are English 7's. I like Eley First Select in 1oz (28g) 7 1/2's (Eng. 7's) fibre. Not bought any for a while but they were cheap.

The Eley Select 7.5 I just measure was an average 2.3mm ... therefore English 7.5.

I suspect that from their clay range it’s only the Titanium range that’s moved to continental sizes.