Changing Stock/fore end colour

Demonic69

Perhaps try alkanet (red) oil mixed with linseed and increase the quantity of red oil to the fore end to attain the same colour to both, or even try more coats to the fore end with the same mixture (if that makes sense).

OB

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Or just shoot it and not worry about the colour!

I'd honestly not thought about that....

Shouldn't you be out shooting, not offering such sage advice to muppets like me on the interwebs? ;)

It doesn't particularly bother me, but I'm always interested in learning new things and satisfying my curiosities, hence why I have way too many hobbies and not enough time! Luckily work is pretty quiet while we wait for approvals for a design I've submitted, plus I work from home so get a bit of time to tinker.

Cheers @Old Boggy. I was concerned that I'd have to, somehow, strip the current finish off. Most guns I've used over the years have been either glossy or plastic! I'll have a look for some colour plus oil.

36 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I'd honestly not thought about that....

Shouldn't you be out shooting, not offering such sage advice to muppets like me on the interwebs? ;)

It doesn't particularly bother me, but I'm always interested in learning new things and satisfying my curiosities, hence why I have way too many hobbies and not enough time! Luckily work is pretty quiet while we wait for approvals for a design I've submitted, plus I work from home so get a bit of time to tinker.

Cheers @Old Boggy. I was concerned that I'd have to, somehow, strip the current finish off. Most guns I've used over the years have been either glossy or plastic! I'll have a look for some colour plus oil.

Two points;

1. There are no stupid questions.

2. I am so busy I don't have time to work or shoot, until Sunday.

In theory and practice you first need to prepare your canvas! That's to say you can only truly stain wood that will accept a stain. So anything that will block that such as pre-existing varnish needs to be thoroughly removed. Years ago we could use Nitro-Mors but the new stuff sold under that label is useless. 

Once the wood is ready and anything blocking it taking a stain has gone you've two choices. Either stain the lighter wood ONLY to match the darker wood or use a dark stain on both that will stain both to a darker colour than they were before. The second option usually is the easiest as there's no colour matching needed.

The other option that actually isn't unpleasant is to paint the thing maybe dark green, black, or whatever. Even in the right situation a nice battleship grey is quite pleasing. Or as others suggest just acquire a spare set of furniture for the gun that does match.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No I am not in Government!

But maybe you should be👍 Couldn’t be any worse than we’ve got 🤪 and at least you’d speak your mind and get things done  

I’d vote for you!

but back on track, I shot my old  Remmy 1100 for years with a wood stock and plastic forend, never seemed to raise any eyebrows 🤨

Thank you.

I've been having "fun" at work sorting out problems that are not my concern, but when the Management ask you to sort things and you can by just talking to people and seeking their help. It makes the day go more quickly.

Then you jump in the car and head back to the real world of family, friends, shooting and life.