Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
samboy

Tesco bacon.

Recommended Posts

 Hi gang.

                  Just been cooking some bacon from Tesco's. Disgusting. Must have got 2 gallon of water and a load of white gunge out of it.

                  Must find a decent shop for bacon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, samboy said:

 Hi gang.

                  Just been cooking some bacon from Tesco's. Disgusting. Must have got 2 gallon of water and a load of white gunge out of it.

                  Must find a decent shop for bacon.

Let me know when you do. 🤮 I’ve tried all the supermarkets including their Cuddly Pig organic offerings and they’re all the same as you describe, the white gunge should be illegal. Occasionally you get a good batch from Waitrose but even they’re not 100% reliable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hamster said:

Let me know when you do. 🤮 I’ve tried all the supermarkets including their Cuddly Pig organic offerings and they’re all the same as you describe, the white gunge should be illegal. Occasionally you get a good batch from Waitrose but even they’re not 100% reliable. 


Are you buying dry cured? I’ve found I haven’t seen the white stuff for years. 
 

Normally buy ALDI dry cured/aged smoked. 

1 minute ago, sam triple said:

Aldi bacon ain’t to bad 

Bang on, lovely stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, i use one of those George Forman type grills so you do not get that Samboy, but i must say the Tesco bacon is not so good now and they are putting prices up, and up and up, i now find M and S far better value, saying that i do not cook on grill much these winter days its slow cooker a stews,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i use one of those George Forman type grills so you do not get that Samboy, but i must say the Tesco bacon is not so good now and they are putting prices up, and up and up, i now find M and S far better value, saying that i do not cook on grill much these winter days its slow cooker a stews,

hello, anyone living around the Vale try Dews Meadow Farm shop, best pork butchers with there own pig farm,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That white gunge like foam is manky to see.

 Forced water and who knows what's else pumped in. The bacon shrinks to half its size.

I buy dry cured streaky back bacon it's nice when crispy with a runny egg in a sandwich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, figgy said:

That white gunge like foam is manky to see.

 Forced water and who knows what's else pumped in. The bacon shrinks to half its size.

I buy dry cured streaky back bacon it's nice when crispy with a runny egg in a sandwich.

stop it :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nitrate free bacon. I get Finnebrogue because it's available and a similar price to the bacon I used to buy. Even Aldi sell a version now. The world is waking up to the fact that nitrates are unnecessary for bacon production - just cheap - and a massive risk increaser for bowel cancer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Nitrate free bacon. I get Finnebrogue because it's available and a similar price to the bacon I used to buy. Even Aldi sell a version now. The world is waking up to the fact that nitrates are unnecessary for bacon production - just cheap - and a massive risk increaser for bowel cancer. 

I've tried the finnebrogue bacon, lovely stuff, the finnebrogue estate itself is only 10 miles down the road from me, nice driving past seeing all the deer out grazing 

Edited by Rob85
Adding text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That white gunk is nitrate which eventually stops the bacon cooking, it dries to a brown gunk and bonds at molecular level to the frying pan and actually creates a heat shield between the pan and the bacon, Heston Bloomingfield told me at the ideal home exhibition so it must be true. And he didn't tell me directly he told the whole crowd. I just happened to be there.

Dry cured streaky all day long for me won't touch Supermarket bacon even their supposed "finest" if you can see through it it probably rank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2020 at 10:51, old'un said:

Get your bacon from a local butcher, dry cured, or do your own dry cured bacon.

Ditto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs  got some bacon and sausage from  Tesco's   walked through the door from work   she said  do you want a bacon sarni       hell no pissi pork  was the reply                   dry cured  smoked or un smoked    local butcher or farm shop a tastier product  all round 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Tesco "bacon" product to ignore is their 2 pack gammon rashers. So much water and gunge. Even trying to drain some of it out of the pan doesn't help. The finished product is not nice at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Another Tesco "bacon" product to ignore is their 2 pack gammon rashers. So much water and gunge. Even trying to drain some of it out of the pan doesn't help. The finished product is not nice at all. 

hello, i use a george foreman type grill all that gunge runs into a tray, bit messy cleaning tray but bacon cooks well for a sarnie,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i use a george foreman type grill all that gunge runs into a tray, bit messy cleaning tray but bacon cooks well for a sarnie,

Thanks. Another kitchen gadget to explore. Although, what with kettle, toaster, espresso machine, bamix, blender etc there soon will be little working surface to work on...........!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Thanks. Another kitchen gadget to explore. Although, what with kettle, toaster, espresso machine, bamix, blender etc there soon will be little working surface to work on...........!

hello, i keep mine bottom of the sink cupboard, without tray in, do not over cook, i wash plates when still warm oh with plug out, ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Curing your own bacon is so easy. I am sure I done a thread on here a few years ago. I will have a search.

Here it is; this is even better it you raise your own pigs.

 

Edited by rimfire4969

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...