Tesco bacon.

samboy

20 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Just been cooking some bacon from Tesco's. Disgusting. Must have got 2 gallon of water and a load of white gunge out of it.

Must find a decent shop for bacon.

Let me know when you do. 🤮 I’ve tried all the supermarkets including their Cuddly Pig organic offerings and they’re all the same as you describe, the white gunge should be illegal. Occasionally you get a good batch from Waitrose but even they’re not 100% reliable. 

1 minute ago, Hamster said:

Let me know when you do. 🤮 I’ve tried all the supermarkets including their Cuddly Pig organic offerings and they’re all the same as you describe, the white gunge should be illegal. Occasionally you get a good batch from Waitrose but even they’re not 100% reliable. 

Are you buying dry cured? I’ve found I haven’t seen the white stuff for years. 

Normally buy ALDI dry cured/aged smoked. 

1 minute ago, sam triple said:

Aldi bacon ain’t to bad 

Bang on, lovely stuff. 

hello, i use one of those George Forman type grills so you do not get that Samboy, but i must say the Tesco bacon is not so good now and they are putting prices up, and up and up, i now find M and S far better value, saying that i do not cook on grill much these winter days its slow cooker a stews,

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i use one of those George Forman type grills so you do not get that Samboy, but i must say the Tesco bacon is not so good now and they are putting prices up, and up and up, i now find M and S far better value, saying that i do not cook on grill much these winter days its slow cooker a stews,

hello, anyone living around the Vale try Dews Meadow Farm shop, best pork butchers with there own pig farm,

Nitrate free bacon. I get Finnebrogue because it's available and a similar price to the bacon I used to buy. Even Aldi sell a version now. The world is waking up to the fact that nitrates are unnecessary for bacon production - just cheap - and a massive risk increaser for bowel cancer. 

6 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Nitrate free bacon. I get Finnebrogue because it's available and a similar price to the bacon I used to buy. Even Aldi sell a version now. The world is waking up to the fact that nitrates are unnecessary for bacon production - just cheap - and a massive risk increaser for bowel cancer. 

I've tried the finnebrogue bacon, lovely stuff, the finnebrogue estate itself is only 10 miles down the road from me, nice driving past seeing all the deer out grazing 

Edited by Rob85
Adding text

That white gunk is nitrate which eventually stops the bacon cooking, it dries to a brown gunk and bonds at molecular level to the frying pan and actually creates a heat shield between the pan and the bacon, Heston Bloomingfield told me at the ideal home exhibition so it must be true. And he didn't tell me directly he told the whole crowd. I just happened to be there.

Dry cured streaky all day long for me won't touch Supermarket bacon even their supposed "finest" if you can see through it it probably rank. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs  got some bacon and sausage from  Tesco's   walked through the door from work   she said  do you want a bacon sarni       hell no pissi pork  was the reply                   dry cured  smoked or un smoked    local butcher or farm shop a tastier product  all round 

8 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Another Tesco "bacon" product to ignore is their 2 pack gammon rashers. So much water and gunge. Even trying to drain some of it out of the pan doesn't help. The finished product is not nice at all. 

hello, i use a george foreman type grill all that gunge runs into a tray, bit messy cleaning tray but bacon cooks well for a sarnie,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i use a george foreman type grill all that gunge runs into a tray, bit messy cleaning tray but bacon cooks well for a sarnie,

Thanks. Another kitchen gadget to explore. Although, what with kettle, toaster, espresso machine, bamix, blender etc there soon will be little working surface to work on...........!

18 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Thanks. Another kitchen gadget to explore. Although, what with kettle, toaster, espresso machine, bamix, blender etc there soon will be little working surface to work on...........!

hello, i keep mine bottom of the sink cupboard, without tray in, do not over cook, i wash plates when still warm oh with plug out, ???