Anyone been published?

Doc Holliday

As per the title. Just looking to hear from anyone who has been published, how they went about it and how they found the whole experience. I'm going to the London Book Fair next month to do some homework but I'm guessing that publishers are generally of the 'Schmoozer' persuasion and so would appreciate any personal experience. PM me please if you don't want to air your personal experience on here. 

Doc.

Hi there

yes I have published a book back end of last year along with my two mates. We were lucky to secure funding for it through the National Lottery Heritage Fund. We have sold pretty much our first print run of 1200 copies which has blown us away! Stocked in three local shops and the local branch of Waterstones! We are unlikely to re print though as minimum print run makes it a tricky gamble!  If you have any questions fire away and if possible I will try and assist. I will warn you it’s a time consuming and at times stressful thing to do, however getting great feedback from people who have chosen to purchase your book is amazing!

Tomorrow I am going to Edinburgh Castle as a guest of their museum to donate some copies of our book, as the book is on those killed in my hometown during WW1. It is amazing the people and organisations you meet during the process!! 

I won’t be in here much next few days but will try and get back to you ASAP with anything you ask 🙂 Good luck and get it done!

I have published academic papers...

A colleague has published several novels, she (as I understand is not in uncommonly the case) has family who own the publisher and her drafts get tweaked by a panel of other writers after she puts the main bulk together according to a skeleton which is chosen for being reliable to market and sell. 

She struggles to balance work work and writing to deadlines but feels her usual subject matter is better informed for working in the field she writes fiction about. Income is apparently broadly 50:50 real job vs writing.