No easy life

islandgun

You wont find a better account of what life was like for these men than the opening chapters of George Orwell's 'The Road To Wigan Pier'.

I had never stopped to think about the life of a coal miner, but it certainly put in context the modern day gripes about work with petty office politics and the air conditioning being up too high!

Edited by treetree
Error

8 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Rates {housing tax} used to be calculated on how many windows in the dwelling. 

Less windows, less rates. 

And that I believe is were the saying daylight robbery stems from also why lots of house's bricked up some of the windows 

All the men in my family were miners up until the pits shut. When I was about to leave school and look for work my dad warned me to never go down the pit. 

He was a face worker and used to tell me story's of working in three foot High tunnels with a foot of water in the bottom. There was a roof collapse once and his mate lost his leg. I can still see how worried my mum looked as we waited for him to come home. He has the blue 'tattoos' on his hands and face. 

"It ain't worth a candle"

I'm aware of a number of so say origins for this expression but none tie in with my grandfathers explanation to me.

He said it related to the pits when they were privately owned and pit owners provided the candles for underground work. To identify pit candles they were coloured. If miners wanted candles for home use they bought them at the ironmongers and they were creamy tallow. If a pit manager passed a cottage window (generally a tied cottage) and saw a coloured candle burning inside then the only way that candle could have got there was by theft from the pit. Consequently the miner list his job and was evicted from the tied cottage. Hence the expression "It ain't worth a candle".

Has anyone else heard of this expression being attributed to pits / mines?

5 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Would the houses be owned by the coal board/pit owners  

Possibly , but whoever owned them would pay the tax and pass it on I presume , however.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

It appears the 'window tax' was repealed in the 1851 in England, so it seems it could be more about cost of re glazing that they were not put back afterwards.