Good deed refused.

billytheghillie

Was in a local Asda on Sunday for the shopping with SWMBO, thought I would buy some dry goods i.e. corn flakes, spaghetti etc. for the food bank trolley, that is situated near the exit door. Standing at check out I couldn't see it, so asked a shop worker, her reply= they took it away and told us they don't want any more until further notice. I found this very strange as food banks are always on our local news.

where I work they used to give out Christmas Hampers as a bonus to staff (stopped before I joined) but a guy on my team said he took his to the food bank - to be told - oh the person this is going to is just outside - on the latest iPhone, puffing on a cig, sat inside her new car (mobility). My colleague drives an older car, doesn't smoke etc - who then went on to complain about the contents.

He stopped giving to food banks after that

I saw a local church run food bank on the telly a few years ago but I was somewhat sceptical of the need for it in my area. Then the Vicar gave the game away, he said ‘it doesn’t matter where they come from if they’re in need’. That may be true, but they shouldn’t come here if they haven’t got a job lined up.

There is an increased use of Food Banks, because there is an increase in the number of Food Banks.

If I could get free food, I would, who wouldn't?

To those on lower/no wages I'm sure it is very nice for someone to hand them a couple of carrier bags of cornflakes and corned beef at no cost to them, that does not mean they actually need it!

RS

A lot of the people going into our local food bank are on zero hours contracts and each week they don't know how much they might earn, so it covers them for the short fall. I have also been to another about 40 miles away and people are vetted by council employees. I watched one guy sit down for a bowl of soup (part of the process) with his carrier bags and started to look through the contents. He then got up and gave back a jar of pasta sauce as he had a jar at home and "... could you please give it to someone who needed it?"

57 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

There is an increased use of Food Banks, because there is an increase in the number of Food Banks.

If I could get free food, I would, who wouldn't?

To those on lower/no wages I'm sure it is very nice for someone to hand them a couple of carrier bags of cornflakes and corned beef at no cost to them, that does not mean they actually need it!

RS

Its the same in the US and Canada, huge increase in food banks, and thence usage.

In fact Canada has done an investigation into it because poverty levels have actually gone down.

Are they creating the solution before the problem actually exists ?
We are told about food banks, and how a 3rd of the population live in 'poverty' but where is it ?

I live in an area of high crime and unemployment, YET everyone seems to have a massive TV , be grossly overweight , and / or have an alcohol/drug addiction .
Go figure...

23 minutes ago, henry d said:

A lot of the people going into our local food bank are on zero hours contracts and each week they don't know how much they might earn, so it covers them for the short fall.

Pretty certain thats not how zero hours contracts work 😃

About 4 years back, I was at the local Chinese getting a takeaway for Mrs H and me when I saw a tramp across the way, huddled down in a doorway of the Tesco Local. I asked the young girl to add a special chow mien to my order. When it came through I took it over to him. 

"Here you go fella! I couldn't see you go hungry", I said. He looked up as I offered it to him.

"Oh, you're ok. Thanks", came the reply. I wasn't quite sure what he meant by that and so offered it to him again.

"It's a special chow mien", I told him.

"Yeah... it's probably got meat in it and I'm a vegetarian" he said. I was totally gob smacked! As I walked away I couldn't help but say "Well, I guess beggars can be choosers after all". So now I don't bother, as much as it goes against the grain. The same for when Mrs H and I offered a number of local charities our services over the Christmas period so their staff could have a little well deserved time off.. it wasn't wanted.

I have no idea what the world has come, I really don't.

2 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

About 4 years back, I was at the local Chinese getting a takeaway for Mrs H and me when I saw a tramp across the way, huddled down in a doorway of the Tesco Local. I asked the young girl to add a special chow mien to my order. When it came through I took it over to him. 

"Here you go fella! I couldn't see you go hungry", I said. He looked up as I offered it to him.

"Oh, you're ok. Thanks", came the reply. I wasn't quite sure what he meant by that and so offered it to him again.

"Yeah... it's probably got meat in it and I'm a vegetarian" he said. I was totally gob smacked! As I walked away I couldn't help but say "Well, I guess beggars can be choosers after all". So now I don't bother, as much as it goes against the grain. The same for when Mrs H and I offered a number of local charities our services over the Christmas period so their staff could have a little well deserved time off.. it wasn't wanted.

hello, your right Doc,

2 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

Try to reframe your attempt to help this person; you presumed they were hungry and would accept anything without question? Then you are upset they could not accept your offer as they made a conscious/ethical decision not to eat meat, so I have to ask; would you give a hungry Jew a bacon sandwich?

27 minutes ago, hod said:

Unless I’ve misread this, this is exactly how they work, you don’t know your hours (and therefore pay) from one week to the next. 

Everyone I know on zero hours, including both daughters and one boyfriend are given a rota AT LEAST 2 weeks ahead , and are promised a certain amount of hours per week/shift.

It's simply not a written contract, and if you dont feel you are getting the work you require, you move on.

20 minutes ago, henry d said:

Thanks for replying to this, it is how I both read it and see it in real life.

To imply you start the week with no idea of your hours and shift times is ridiculous and definitely not how it works.

Do you think employees sit by the phone waiting for crumbs?

Many have multiple jobs, and work around them, you're being sucked into the idea of everyone struggling in poverty, when it simply isn't true.

But you know best 😃

I’ve no dog in this fight, nor will I seek out an argument on the internet. The two people I know get their hours a week prior. It suits them both (Or at least doesn’t bother them as long as they get an acceptable average), they’re not being done over by some cretin like Mike Ashley. However you look at it, it does limit financial planning/ budgeting. 

22 minutes ago, hod said:

I’ve no dog in this fight, nor will I seek out an argument on the internet. The two people I know get their hours a week prior. It suits them both (Or at least doesn’t bother them as long as they get an acceptable average), they’re not being done over by some cretin like Mike Ashley. However you look at it, it does limit financial planning/ budgeting. 

Fair enough, I can only go on the experience of those I know , who dont see it as a problem, they say it actually gives them freedom ?

I did look through some jobs online touting zero hours, and quite often they come with a contractual hours basis, obviously some dont , but I dont believe the concept is half as bad as the lefties would have you believe .

It's just another stick , along with food bank existence , to beat the Tories with, in my humble opinion.

On 20/02/2020 at 21:14, henry d said:

Try to reframe your attempt to help this person; you presumed they were hungry and would accept anything without question? Then you are upset they could not accept your offer as they made a conscious/ethical decision not to eat meat, so I have to ask; would you give a hungry Jew a bacon sandwich?

I don't really see the relevance of the bacon sandwich and the Jew, although I understand where you are coming from. My point was that if he was genuinely homeless then he most likely knows what it is to be hungry and not know where his next meal is coming from. If I was in his shoes then I would have taken it and, even if I was a vegetarian,  I could have picked the meat out of the dish but I acknowledged that the error was entirely mine as I had wrongly ASSUMED he would be accepting of any act of kindness/generosity but we a know what assumptions are the mother of. As it happens, I was up in the village on Saturday and he was there, sat in a doorway staring at the ground with a half empty paper cup of something. 

On 20/02/2020 at 21:55, Rewulf said:

To imply you start the week with no idea of your hours and shift times is ridiculous and definitely not how it works.

Strange, because that is exactly how the zero hours contract I was on worked. I always knew working hours (they never changed, 7:30 - 3:30). And the days I was required to work could change at the drop of a hat due to the nature of work

Edited by Mutiny

54 minutes ago, Mutiny said:

Strange, because that is exactly how the zero hours contract I was on worked. I always knew working hours (they never changed, 7:30 - 3:30). And the days I was required to work could change at the drop of a hat due to the nature of work

So you did know your hours and shift times? Which is what I said in what you quoted from me.

But you didn't know which days due to the nature of the work?

So when did they tell you the days? The night before, day before, week before?

Or at 7.29am? 

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

So you did know your hours and shift times? Which is what I said in what you quoted from me.

But you didn't know which days due to the nature of the work?

So when did they tell you the days? The night before, day before, week before?

Or at 7.29am? 

My kids both carried on working at McDonald's after finishing college. They both had full time contracts that were actually zero hours contracts(macdonalds did this so that they couldn't take work elsewhere ) , macdonalds managers would sometimes call them at 4 am and say be in at 4.30am for an 8 hours shift , then at 6 am they could get sent home as they have too many staff , then call them back in at 10am to do an 8 hours shift , that may well last between 30 minutes and 16 hours , anyone that complained would often get no work and no money for weeks on end . 

Zero hours contracts are a national disgrace , they may well suit the odd person here or there , but to most people it just little more than a miserable and stressful existence. 

Ps.

At the beginning of each week , my kids would get their working times emailed to them , managers would change these with zero notice , they might work an 8 hours night shift , then at the end of the shift , get told that they're also doing the day shift .

My lad just had enough one day , he threw the manager his apron and left without saying a word.

My daughter started to print a copy of her rota , and would only work her hours , she's a nice young kid , but it got to the point where she would just turn the cookers off and leave. 

24 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

My kids both carried on working at McDonald's after finishing college

You know McDs all work on franchises then? No one really works for McDs, they work for a company than owns the franchise. 

Eldest daughter and her boyfriend both worked for them for 3.5 years, on zero hours contracts, they got their rotas 2 to 3 weeks ahead, and NEVER got a shift dropped on them like you're describing, if they had done they say  they would refuse it, I know this because they're both sat here with me, and I've asked them. 

Other daughter works for Nandos, and they have a similar setup.