Good deed refused.

billytheghillie

Of course I know , I also know that each shop works very differently , but supposedly inside the McDonald's structure . Your kids were obviously very lucky , my kids weren't,  and got treated as little more than modern day slaves !.

It still boils my xxxx to remember how they were treated .

I used to work on a full time contract, shift work in a care home. Nothing to do with zero hours. Sometimes we would get the next weeks rota on the Sunday night! Usually only a couple of days notice. Getting 3 weeks rota at a time was an unusual treat, but they usually changed lots over the three weeks. 

If you know people on zero hours who get a week or twos notice of actual shifts I think they are the lucky ones..

Zero hours contracts can be both good and bad. For a new business starting out, perhaps a family business, it's often not possible to commit to offering someone guaranteed hours. Zero hours contracts very often suit the worker, but not always. Remember also that bank nurses, supply teachers and many other 'professions' are also on zero hours usually. 

When it goes a bit wrong (IMO) is when a massive company designs its entire business model on a mixture of zero hours contracts and cheap (often foreign) labour. It also appears to dissuade investment in tech and automation. 

My wife started on supply with the local council education department and never missed a day/hour and after 2 years they had to give her a full time position, however her pension is now 2 years lighter because of that as it did not count then towards it. I wonder if it is the same for zero hours contracts today? I'm sure that some employers would welcome that idea.