Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Westley78

Mentor wanted in Hertfordshire area

    Recommended Posts

    Hi,

    I am looking to get into pigeon shooting and am on the look out for a mentor in the Hertfordshire area.

    I have a ford ranger pick up and am happy to help fetch and carry in return for the opportunity to watch and learn.

    I am self employed so can facilitate mid-week if preferable.

    Any opportunities will be welcomed

    Kind regards

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Buy half dozen decoys find some pigeons and go try it is best. Harvest time is the best here but you can find them feeding on freshly sown stuff at least around here. The farmer sowed peas once and left them on top. The pigeons went nuts. Scouting is the biggest thing  

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks Captinhastings,

    I am often out and about in the day and have been on the look out for pigeons on the local farmland. I did see 1000's of them in the fields outside Bishops Stortford on Tuesday and drove around looking for the farmer but no luck. 😢

    I was thinking of getting some leaflets flyer printed up to put in the post boxes as/when i do come across them but not sure this approach will work..?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi westley78, I’ve been in a similar position myself and used google maps on satellite setting to scour the maps for farms  in the vicinity may be if some help, depending on which edge of stortford it was  and how well you know the area it could be worth checking some of the outlying villages for the closest farm also. 
     

    hope that’s if some help 👍🏻

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Westley78 said:

    Thanks Captinhastings,

    I am often out and about in the day and have been on the look out for pigeons on the local farmland. I did see 1000's of them in the fields outside Bishops Stortford on Tuesday and drove around looking for the farmer but no luck. 😢

    I was thinking of getting some leaflets flyer printed up to put in the post boxes as/when i do come across them but not sure this approach will work..?

    They will end up in the bin.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    hello, farmers are canny folk and rarely allow anyone to shoot on their land unless they know you, and most are very busy what ever time of year, getting some one to take you out and show you the the way of pigeon shooting over decoys, setting up, hides and flight lines can be same, not sure if BASC will put on any instruction days this year as very busy on the general licence, its a bit early but worth looking at beating for the coming season, you may find a better way into shooting, i think facebook have adverts, or join a local clay pigeon club and see how that goes, there maybe be a few pigeon shooters there, anyway welcome to PW and good luck   

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I live in your part of the world and finding pigeon shooting is very difficult although not impossible .If you can find a local shoot to  beat on it can often result in being given the opportunity to shoot pigeon.Failing that most Essex wildfowling clubs also offer pigeon shooting( contact BASC for club details)The  wider the circle of shooting people you know the more likely you are to access shooting. Good luck.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

    Hi westley78, I’ve been in a similar position myself and used google maps on satellite setting to scour the maps for farms  in the vicinity may be if some help, depending on which edge of stortford it was  and how well you know the area it could be worth checking some of the outlying villages for the closest farm also. 
     

    hope that’s if some help 👍🏻

    Thanks spr1985 yes it does help

    2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

    hello, farmers are canny folk and rarely allow anyone to shoot on their land unless they know you, and most are very busy what ever time of year, getting some one to take you out and show you the the way of pigeon shooting over decoys, setting up, hides and flight lines can be same, not sure if BASC will put on any instruction days this year as very busy on the general licence, its a bit early but worth looking at beating for the coming season, you may find a better way into shooting, i think facebook have adverts, or join a local clay pigeon club and see how that goes, there maybe be a few pigeon shooters there, anyway welcome to PW and good luck   

    Thanks for the good advice oldpigeonpoper,

    I did think beating would probably be a good way to learn the ropes and meet other shooters, shame the season just finished...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    33 minutes ago, Tollerman said:

    I live in your part of the world and finding pigeon shooting is very difficult although not impossible .If you can find a local shoot to  beat on it can often result in being given the opportunity to shoot pigeon.Failing that most Essex wildfowling clubs also offer pigeon shooting( contact BASC for club details)The  wider the circle of shooting people you know the more likely you are to access shooting. Good luck.

    Thanks Tollerman, sounds like beating is definitely the way forward...

    2 hours ago, old'un said:

    They will end up in the bin.

    I did think that...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Now the season is over your best bet is to check out your nearest Wildfowling club , a lot of then have got all the year round pigeon shooting and believe or not some of the land is only lightly shot .
    New members are taken on during the Spring / early Summer , they have got members who are willing to take new members out to see how safe they are and to show them the land the club shoot over and with some clubs this could be a few 1000 acres , during the Summer months you might like to take part in clay shooting and gun dog training , also you might be lucky in meeting someone you can pally up with who is keen on pigeon shooting and willing to share his knowledge all for around £200 a year with built in insurance . GOOD LUCK

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

     

    1 hour ago, marsh man said:

    Now the season is over your best bet is to check out your nearest Wildfowling club , a lot of then have got all the year round pigeon shooting and believe or not some of the land is only lightly shot .
    New members are taken on during the Spring / early Summer , they have got members who are willing to take new members out to see how safe they are and to show them the land the club shoot over and with some clubs this could be a few 1000 acres , during the Summer months you might like to take part in clay shooting and gun dog training , also you might be lucky in meeting someone you can pally up with who is keen on pigeon shooting and willing to share his knowledge all for around £200 a year with built in insurance . GOOD LUCK

    Thank you  marshman that is really useful advice, I’ll start looking into local wildfowling clubs...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have found over the years that its who you know that gets you shooting. Marsh man is dead right about joining clubs (plural) and networking off the contacts you make.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Keep door knocking too. I know it is not fun but you will get a surprise when some farmers will pretty much dismiss you and say yea yea crack on help your self. They are so relaxed and nice about it. Then you get plenty the other way. Keep at it

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    You say you are self employed, is it something you could use to your advantage.

    A few years ago I asked about some shooting and was told nothing available, a few days later a friend (electrician) turned up in his work van asking. The same farmer told him if you do a few little jobs you can have as much shooting as you want.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

    I have found over the years that its who you know that gets you shooting. Marsh man is dead right about joining clubs (plural) and networking off the contacts you make.

    Thanks Vince 👍🏻

    13 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

    Keep door knocking too. I know it is not fun but you will get a surprise when some farmers will pretty much dismiss you and say yea yea crack on help your self. They are so relaxed and nice about it. Then you get plenty the other way. Keep at it

    Thanks captainhastins, I suppose you’ve got to be in it to win as they say...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, toontastic said:

    You say you are self employed, is it something you could use to your advantage.

    A few years ago I asked about some shooting and was told nothing available, a few days later a friend (electrician) turned up in his work van asking. The same farmer told him if you do a few little jobs you can have as much shooting as you want.

    Thanks for the advice toontastic,

    I am a Chartered surveyor and have been racking my brains to think of what I can offer the farmers in return for permission.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    As a Chartered Surveyor you can keep vermin off his land, report broken fences, inform him of any strangers wandering around, keep an eye on his Farm Machinery and treat him as a friend and respect his every decision as to where and when you can visit - pretty much the same as all of us. Don't give up - if you are intelligent enough to be a Surveyor, you are certainly bright enough to champion your cause.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...