Stick so far.

fatchap

Still off work so next project under way, have to make a walking stick for a friend of a friend, he didn't want a conventional handle type walking stick or a thumbstick so I hope I have come up with what he had in mind. I asked my mate if he had a dog, cat etc something to put in the handle so to speak but as his hobby was jigsaw puzzles and drinking down the legion, I went for the latter. 

I embedded the badge in Milliput, capped off the cut with brass and ox bone spacer, I now have to come up with a method of finishing the top, not 100% sure how I'm going to proceed with that, Its going to have a brass liner and a special type of perspex top which I am going to shape and polish into a dome, but its the securing part I'm pondering over, I can epoxy the brass liner down no problem, but how to secure the perspex. I'm worried If I use epoxy you will see it through the perspex and even though it does dry clear, I still think you will see it and it could look a bit ****. I could use four brass screws and neatly screw the perspex to the top but that would not then be sealed and you would get condensation appear inside covering the badge. So at the moment I'm having a think.

20200220-072738.jpg

20200220-072653.jpg

20200220-072701.jpg

And then after that I have to come up with a way to mount the head onto the shank at an angle so the dome when its done is almost horizontal so its comfortable in the hand. I have angled the cut at the bottom of the antler as a starting point, I can put the connector into the shank straight but its going to have to go into the antler at quite an angle so I hope there's enough room or the connector will hit the side with a probable burst out and a major temper tantrum from myself. 

Looking good so far, you could buy kits years ago that had chemicals you mixed and poured to encapsulate things in a hard clear polymer.

Can't for the life of me remember what they were called but it might suit your application.

Good luck

I think it was Alumlite or something similar.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
ADDITION OF A NAME!

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Embedding Resin, brilliant product if you get the mix 100% spot on, slightly out and won't cure properly. I have some somewhere in the shed, Not sure if its got a shelf life, 

But it would indeed do the trick.

Water Clear Casting Resin is the stuff you need for embedding.

Shelf life of these type of products is usually about a year, so it is worth lining up a few projects.

Edited by moondoggy

The Legion is my only Charity and when I depart this world their finaces will be boosted considerably, so I was delighted to see the badge on there.  Sorry I cannot help with the detail but the 'resin' sounds interesting stuff. I suppose try it on something else first.  Look forward to seeing the completed stick.

Just now, Walker570 said:

The Legion is my only Charity and when I depart this world their finaces will be boosted considerably, so I was delighted to see the badge on there.  Sorry I cannot help with the detail but the 'resin' sounds interesting stuff. I suppose try it on something else first.  Look forward to seeing the completed stick.

Good on you Mate, they were a great help to me when I left the Service.

The resin that I have used is called `Gedeo` and as said, get the measures slightly wrong and it doesn`t go off. It does come with two measuring containers marked with various measures so not that complicated to use. I used it on a stick that I made with a `Pentacle` emblem to be used in a Pagan `Handfasting` ceremony and have used it to embed coins, fishing flies and a couple of old WAGBI emblems. All worked out OK. However, I did do one with a sharks tooth but unfortunately it turned out a bit `milky`. I think that was the fact that it was freezing in the shed when I did it and it affected it. I was a little disappointed as it was for a good PW member.

However, as I was using an antler coronet for the pentacle emblem, I didn`t have the problem of fixing to the shaft. Just used the standard method of epoxying a length of studding into shaft and antler.

Could you not use a shaft with a large knuckle (knot) such that the shaft could be drilled horizontally and then into the antler and use a bit of studding, with the drilled hole in the side filled in somehow.

sticks(26-06-18)_015.jpg

Edited by Old Boggy

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looking good so far, you could buy kits years ago that had chemicals you mixed and poured to encapsulate things in a hard clear polymer.

Can't for the life of me remember what they were called but it might suit your application.

Good luck

I think it was Alumlite or something similar.

That's what they call it in America  . Over here its casting resin  here is a couple of pages from my stick making book on how to do it 

resin casting .jpg

resin casting 2.jpg

book .jpg

Decided not to go with the resin, found it but not sure how long its been sitting there, so went with the stickmans special perspex which has never let me down so far.

Cut out and attached the brass spacer, plenty to grind off that.

20200220-122254.jpg

Then attached the perspex block and lets get filing....

20200220-163924.jpg

Lots of filing and sanding to 3000.....

20200220-163929.jpg

Getting there...

On to polishing

20200220-165111.jpg

Good badge is still clear. and nothing has got inside. Happy Days

20200220-165128.jpg

Just have to give the whole thing a good polish and get the shine up, then its the attaching it to the shank bit, will be doing that tomorrow.

15 hours ago, fatchap said:

Decided not to go with the resin, found it but not sure how long its been sitting there, so went with the stickmans special perspex which has never let me down so far.

Cut out and attached the brass spacer, plenty to grind off that.

20200220-122254.jpg

Then attached the perspex block and lets get filing....

20200220-163924.jpg

Lots of filing and sanding to 3000.....

20200220-163929.jpg

Getting there...

On to polishing

20200220-165111.jpg

Good badge is still clear. and nothing has got inside. Happy Days

20200220-165128.jpg

Just have to give the whole thing a good polish and get the shine up, then its the attaching it to the shank bit, will be doing that tomorrow.

That's looking really great.

May I ask what you use to polish the Perspex, the brass, the antler and also what I assume is buffalo horn. 

OB

Its called Vornax you get medium which is orangy brown and fine which is a buff colour and used in pairs they do a serious job of a shine. You need to get deeper scratches and marks out with courser stuff such as 400 paper, but Vornax will polish pretty much everything including hard woods.

Yep thats a buffalo horn cap on there, I'm toying as to replace it today with a white cow bone spacer, I'll see how it looks once I've got the shine up to a nice respectable level.

When it comes to polishing antler you can save yourself a lot of work just by simply giving it a good scrub with soapy water and a scotch pad, Surprising how much **** comes off them. They are a lot easier to polish after a wash.

Edited by fatchap

I think I'll call it done.

Attached the head to the shank with 8mm studding with I slight bend in it to give me the angle on the head. Red stained and varnished stripped apple shank guestimated to the correct length, its bound to be wrong but easily adjustable as long as I haven't taken too much off. Rubber ferrule with decorative brass ring and jobs a goodun.

20200221-123933.jpg

20200221-124000.jpg

Hope he's happy with it.

Excuse the blurred woofer in shot Webley is the most nosy puppy I've ever had, he's into everything, in fact the entire make of this stick was under his strict supervision.

Edited by fatchap

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

I think I'll call it done.

Attached the head to the shank with 8mm studding with I slight bend in it to give me the angle on the head. Red stained and varnished stripped apple shank guestimated to the correct length, its bound to be wrong but easily adjustable as long as I haven't taken too much off. Rubber ferrule with decorative brass ring and jobs a goodun.

20200221-123933.jpg

20200221-124000.jpg

Hope he's happy with it.

Excuse the blurred woofer in shot Webley is the most nosy puppy I've ever had, he's into everything, in fact the entire make of this stick was under his strict supervision.

To get the right lengh stand the stick upside down on a carpet . Get him/ her to hold the stick were its comfey  mark were top of hand is and cut at that point . Sorted .

13 hours ago, fatchap said:

Its called Vornax you get medium which is orangy brown and fine which is a buff colour and used in pairs they do a serious job of a shine. You need to get deeper scratches and marks out with courser stuff such as 400 paper, but Vornax will polish pretty much everything including hard woods.

Yep thats a buffalo horn cap on there, I'm toying as to replace it today with a white cow bone spacer, I'll see how it looks once I've got the shine up to a nice respectable level.

When it comes to polishing antler you can save yourself a lot of work just by simply giving it a good scrub with soapy water and a scotch pad, Surprising how much **** comes off them. They are a lot easier to polish after a wash.

Many thanks for your reply. A decent shine to buffalo horn etc. is something that I've yet to fully master, but advice will certainly be heeded.

Thanks again,

OB

Nice work. I often thought about making sticks. There's something pleasing about a nice stick.

Anyway, I'll just throw this out there, Gorilla Glue. I thought it was just a gimicky thing until I tried it on two pieces of leather. Next day I found that I had inadvertently moved it when weighing it down.  Well, **** to a blanket doesn't cover it. No way was it giving up and I had to cut the leather to get it apart. Don't know how it would be on other materials but it's cheap and worth a go if you need strength. It has to have some damp to work and it does foam and spread a bit. But no mixing and easy to use. I hope I'm not teaching granny how to suck eggs here. :)

Gorilla super glue is pretty much there up with other super glues only fit for sticking your fingers together. Gorilla 2 pk epoxy is ok,no where near as strong as JB or 151 But their wood glue is something else, says 24 hours but after an hour there is no way its going to give up, seriously good wood glue.

Edited by fatchap