New Immigration Rules

WestonSalop

I'm surprised that I haven't seen anything on PW yet regarding Priti Patel's announcement of yesterday. I'm concerned on several fronts.

It's true of course that we need to get our house in order post-Brexit on this topic but I can't help but think Ms Patel and her team live in cloud cuckoo land. She stated several times yesterday that there are more than 8 million people who don't work today, in the UK.  It seems that in this number, she has included the registered disabled, people who do not need to work, as well as the hated dole wallahs . Does she really believe that she is going to replace the need for foreign workers in the care and agriculture industries from that pool of (apparently!?!) available labour. I for one, wouldn't want any relative of mine to be looked after by the rump of people who for one reason or another, refuse to become gainfully employed and as sure as anything, they won't go pick the crops in the fields.

My related concern to this is the apparent haste with which these rules have been pumped out. If this is a sign of what's to come of our post-Brexit planning, then we are headed for a major set of headaches. Boris and co. need to recognise that we see through their made up statistics.  I want Brexit to be a success but yesterday's announcement has me worried.

I think that many people who voted for Brexit and even those who voted remain wanted to see more control. Good luck to those who want a completely open door policy.

Problem is that the minute any rules are suggested, people start to object. They want their cake and eat it. The proposed rules are not set in tablets of stone, but a first step in trying to establish control.

Looks like over kill to me. Many of our own workers may have difficulty meeting that threshold? Shows lack of common sense yet once more and could potentially ruin lots of businesses.

Also do they seriously think that the truiy idle specimens are going to work for their money? La La land again. Probably against their HR? Been tried before and a spectacular failure?

1 minute ago, old man said:

Looks like over kill to me. Many of our own workers may have difficulty meeting that threshold? Shows lack of common sense yet once more and could potentially ruin lots of businesses.

Also do they seriously think that the truiy idle specimens are going to work for their money? La La land again. Probably against their HR? Been tried before and a spectacular failure?

They would if they cut the handouts, my parent's had no handouts 5 young kids and it was a struggle especially for my mother, dad died when I was young but she just managed with what we had but above it all she had her pride, so yes they should be made to work. 

6 minutes ago, B725 said:

They would if they cut the handouts, my parent's had no handouts 5 young kids and it was a struggle especially for my mother, dad died when I was young but she just managed with what we had but above it all she had her pride, so yes they should be made to work. 

Yes this all day long , if you dont work , and are able to . You dont eat. 

hello, i was waiting for someone to post, good point Gordon, it is what we voted for in UK to control our borders and only take in those with a job to go to or on further Education, as for the points system and payment it will affect those wanting to come to UK but many who are here should be ok, now many argue on Care work, low pay long hours, they say we Brits do not want to do this but EU citizens are happy to, in fact any job, does that make you think how Polish/ Romanian/ Italy/ etc look after their relatives ? most in the family homes while mum dad work to support, and unemployment is very high in the EU despite the Billions invested, oh and a report published recently the Government are looking to put up a training scheme for young people in to care work, i have a sneaky feeling of another Conservative idea to get youngsters off the unemployment register, Who was it that said quote GET ON YOUR BIKE, i think like the song ( There maybe trouble ahead) la la la

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

I'm surprised that I haven't seen anything on PW yet regarding Priti Patel's announcement of yesterday. I'm concerned on several fronts.

It's true of course that we need to get our house in order post-Brexit on this topic but I can't help but think Ms Patel and her team live in cloud cuckoo land. She stated several times yesterday that there are more than 8 million people who don't work today, in the UK.  It seems that in this number, she has included the registered disabled, people who do not need to work, as well as the hated dole wallahs . Does she really believe that she is going to replace the need for foreign workers in the care and agriculture industries from that pool of (apparently!?!) available labour. I for one, wouldn't want any relative of mine to be looked after by the rump of people who for one reason or another, refuse to become gainfully employed and as sure as anything, they won't go pick the crops in the fields.

My related concern to this is the apparent haste with which these rules have been pumped out. If this is a sign of what's to come of our post-Brexit planning, then we are headed for a major set of headaches. Boris and co. need to recognise that we see through their made up statistics.  I want Brexit to be a success but yesterday's announcement has me worried.

Look at it this way. Less labour means wages go up. Wages go up and people are easier to replace with machines. Efficiency increases and the UK gets more competetive. 

The land use will change to one of higher value added. 

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

To be fair to him its mostly to do with their work ethic. 

I knew someone who did the same and used the same excuse.

He came in the pub looking sorry for himself one evening.

When asked what was wrong he explained that the people he employed for their work ethic, had stolen his contract by undercutting him and he was effectively out of work. I laughed my rear off. Apparently they had offered him a job, but at the greatly reduced wages he was paying them. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Newbie to this

22 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

The thing about unemployed not working in the fields etc is due I thiny to low wages offered. If they get e decent wage we might find more of them taking on employment and not relying on handouts etc?

Pushkin😎

when i was a single parent working made me worse of money wise having less because i wanted to work really annoyed me and it’s not changed much for today’s single parents working needs to pay not be a punishment 

Any work will pay more than a no work = no eat policy of which I am in favour of BTW. I went all over the world working for my coin. 

Dover is full of the sponging snots.

Eastern european beggars too, hanging around the supermarket entrances manager said out of his control as not Morrisons property = cops are not bothered.

(on yer bike) aka Norman Tebbit??

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Not so sure bud, your mum had pride, exactly what this element don't have,they have just an idle core?

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Look at it this way. Less labour means wages go up. Wages go up and people are easier to replace with machines. Efficiency increases and the UK gets more competetive. 

The land use will change to one of higher value added. 

Ye gods man don't give them more incentive not to work. 😀

In theory there's absolutely no reason why  - in the medium to long term - Britain can't train its own nurses, doctors, plumbers, brickies, etc. It's always been a nonsense that the NHS for example 'needs' to import trained staff wholesale. Whatever's wrong with training our own young people? Not only would it provide opportunity, it would also help stop the immoral practice of poaching other countries' medical staff.

That said, to reset that particular ship on course is going to require committed long-term investment, and the cost will need to be borne both  by the taxpayer and by employers and how that will be received in practice is anybody's guess. Has there been any consultation? Any proper needs analysis and costing done? The worst option of course is that foreign labour is excluded, but no proper plan is drawn up or commitment made to train people to replace them. 

My worry is that this government to date haven't actually drawn up any kind of plans at all - for anything. It's all soundbite stuff as if the election were next week and not three months in the rear-view mirror. Ideally the announcement to restrict the importation of labour should have been accompanied by the announcement of a properly thought out and costed labour strategy for employers and government to adhere to going forward.

Is there one? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

when i was a single parent working made me worse of money wise having less because i wanted to work really annoyed me and it’s not changed much for today’s single parents working needs to pay not be a punishment 

I think that's true for a lot of people, possibly even most people 

I would sooner be in work if only for a few quid more than sponge off other's. A friend's wife work's as a housing officer, she has said people try to claim for alsorts loads have the latest iPhone or similar driving new car's huge TV in the house etc. I may not have much but everything I have is bought and paid for by myself, if I didn't have the money I went without untill I had earned the money to buy it. IMHO we have created a lazy society there will always be a need to help some people and its these people who should be helped. We have a few near us who have never worked at all, they just know what to say and do when claiming. 

15 minutes ago, B725 said:

I would sooner be in work if only for a few quid more than sponge off other's. A friend's wife work's as a housing officer, she has said people try to claim for alsorts loads have the latest iPhone or similar driving new car's huge TV in the house etc. I may not have much but everything I have is bought and paid for by myself, if I didn't have the money I went without untill I had earned the money to buy it. IMHO we have created a lazy society there will always be a need to help some people and its these people who should be helped. We have a few near us who have never worked at all, they just know what to say and do when claiming. 

Old news but still relevant to your post..https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2477251/sponging-mum-of-thirteen-who-rakes-in-30000-a-year-in-benefits-is-branded-a-scrounger-by-her-own-daughter/

5 minutes ago, B725 said:

We have a few near us who have never worked at all, they just know what to say and do when claiming. 

So they know how to game the system. Quite honestly, (and I'm playing Devil's Advocate here) they're no different to  business owners who know how to claim for this or that against tax, or who deliberately blur the line between personal and business expenses, or who deliberately underpay their employees because they know the government will top up the slack via housing and family benefits. And what about anyone who owns a stock portfolio or property? Their personal wealth has increased almost exponentially over the last couple of decades - and it wasn't earned by the sweat of their brows.

No, if you ever feel aggrieved at people living off the system for nothing, better to look up than down. That's where the really big birds roost.