Retirement

AVB

I have decided to retire. For the time being at least. Although I am struggling to fill my days at the moment. I have joined a gym, tinkering with the Land Rover, walking the dog a lot even just sitting in the hot tub with a cup of tea thinking of what to do to the garden. Obviously the game season will keep me more busy but I need something else. I thought I would see more of the wife but she is more often or not out with her friends  

What do other retirees do? 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As above. When I was made redundant three years ago, I raced about looking for voluntary work and jobs around the house. Take time to savour your leisure after decades at work and don’t rush into anything. I now love the peace and quiet, have the time to help out family and do what I want when I want to do it.

Gym, fishing (mainly kayak fishing, a great way to accumulate more toys), turning drift wood into useful objects, growing veg, volunteering, going to free or reasonably priced gigs and exhibitions, learning to play the guitar and I hope to get back into home brewing soon.

If you have a university of the third age nearby they sometimes have interesting things to join, our local has a travel group and a ukelele (sp) group. 

When i hit 50 i reduced my hrs down to 24, then 14 when i hit 52.At 55 i threw the towel in, did loads of fishing ,cycling and bought a project car (MX5). Wife decided to retire last April at 52,spent the Summer flying around every day in the 5.Once she started telling me to slow down and nagging me i went back to my old job. 29hrs per week but will throw to towel in for good 2024.

Her in doors used to leave me a big list of jobs to do before she went to work lol. Split the washing up in plies with a note with diff temps for the washing machine.As soon as her car left he drive id cram them all in on a 30 wash and grab my rod ( fishing rod.

Edited by Davyo

13 minutes ago, washerboy said:

I would hit the gym more, mines 24hrs a day opening. 

How about fishing? Lure fishing keeps you walking, minimum of tackle to carry. 

I have been 5 times in last 5 days (including two sessions with personal trainer) so not sure I can do more. Mind you I’ve got a lot to do to get fit. 

I thought about fishing. Mind you isn’t it all Carp fishing nowadays? 

Have you tried some of the group workouts? I have done a few but really got a lot out of a thing called body balance (Les Mills), keeps me flexible as I get older, but there are others such as body combat, spinning and another who's name I forget, but is based around a rectangular frame and can be either low impact right up to a proper beasting

I've never been so busy, no idea where or when I found time to work.

I see much more of my family especially my grandkids. I just love being with them and even if it's just reading to them I love it.

I shoot twice a week and when the weather is warm go fishing. I can't sit in the cold or wet.

Along with my wife we go away for about a week to ten days at a time with the dogs in the caravan. Always smaller 5 van sites where i can fish or shoot locally.

When i was mobile, i used to walk miles on the moors with my dogs, my sons dog and my daughters dog. Always carried a camera and binoculars as well as food/drink. Because I had all the time in the world I've helped farmers round up sheep, helped build a section of dry stone wall and help catch fly tippers and poachers.

I have a large garage/workshop which I'm a bit of a hoarder of broken things. When I'm able I mend things and then give then away to friends and family.

So basically find something that you have an interest in and do that, but just remember you don't need to do everything yesterday. I'm still working on that last bit as once I start a project I tend to knacker myself out finishing it.

One last piece of advice, daytime TV is 💩 in fact I find most TV 💩 so I never switch it on.

Get a Greenhouse - scour the local free papers and you can sometimes get them for nothing, never thought I would enjoy it but there's something really relaxing about growing food that you could buy for far less from a Super Market. Chillies, Coriander, Garlic all taste far nicer though from your own Greenhouse.

I love the freedom in having the time to do what I want when I want , as the days are now starting to lengthen I get up when it break light , take the dog out for an hour and then once home I read the paper for however long it take , once read I then get on with any household chores that are down to me , all the others are down to my wife , this work a treat , if the weather is nice we will go for a ride up the coast , or I look for pigeons , or better still go and shoot some .

The days of rushing about are now long gone and what isn't done today , then so be it , tomorrow isn't even broken into yet .

I spend much of my time shooting (except the last few weeks due to the weather) pest control, deer and fox. I do the gym, cycling, yoga and I am rowing Pilot Gigs. 

I think you also need to have a workout for the brain so I Chair the local shooting club and spend a good percentage of my time managing my wifes pension fund. I also work on a few business plans for local farmers wanting to diversify. I too was at a bit of a loose end for the first few months and now I look forward to a day off :good:

32 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Didn't work out for me so back to work but only 3 mornings a week, just bought a 1980 landy so that will keep me busy for a while. Today i renewed my MOT licences so another year at least.

I agree it don't work for everyone mainly because there main interest was work , all there friends were at work and not forgetting the wages that they are used to .

When your working life is drawing to a close you need to have a bit more planned than spending time in the garden , unless you have got a huge garden , even then you don't want to spend everyday potting plants and cutting grass .

Try and do whatever you enjoy doing, as one day even if you wanted to do something your body have also decided it is up for retirement , get out there while the going is good , we are not going to last forever .

Edited by marsh man

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I agree it don't work for everyone mainly because there main interest was work , all there friends were at work and not forgetting the wages that they are used to .

When your working life is drawing to a close you need to have a bit more planned than spending time in the garden , unless you have got a huge garden , even then you don't want to spend everyday potting plants and cutting grass .

Try and do whatever you enjoy doing, as one day even if you wanted to do something your body have also decided it is up for retirement , get out there while the going is good , we are not going to last forever .

hello, very true MM

Hmmn. I'm 64 next week and retirement is so far over the horizon that it'll probably be in the next life.  However, even if I had the money to retire I'd still want to be doing something that I absolutely had to get out of bed in the morning for. There's a Colombian saying 'with a little bit of sweet and a little bit of sour, a man is happy' and it's true because we need the sour to appreciate the sweet. Finding something that's not too sour is the key.