Retirement

AVB

2 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

...... the box never got ticked was using the lathe/mill etc in school metalwork lessons...   Have done a bit of research and found this course: https://www.axminster.co.uk/skill-centre/engineering-courses/small-engineering-lathe-introduction-course   2 days, figured that I might enjoy it and if not then it's another skill acquired..... 

I have had lots of fun playing with my lathe since I retired - learned the basics in evening classes at the local tech.

Now all I need to do is set up my late fathers's Chinese mill/drill/lathe.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I envy this retirement idea, I'm 67 yrs and undergoing the challange of starting a seaweed farm, finally getting on with putting together a masonry oven and a building to put it in,  also expanding my small commercial veg growing business...and stuff.. im guessing lack of pension on my part or a healthy pension on everyone else's part..😄

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I envy this retirement idea, I'm 67 yrs and undergoing the challange of starting a seaweed farm, finally getting on with putting together a masonry oven and a building to put it in,  also expanding my small commercial veg growing business...and stuff.. im guessing lack of pension on my part or a healthy pension on everyone else's part..😄

You don't have time to retire!

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

if you are fit enough to work then carry on.

Why if you don’t enjoy what you do? I agree if you love your job (my brother worked until he was 72 as he loved his work and the people he worked with). I am 57 but haven’t really enjoyed work for a couple of years and the City isn’t a place for older (white) men any more. In fact if you are an older white man it is almost hostile. 

On 20/02/2020 at 14:54, bruno22rf said:

Get a Greenhouse - scour the local free papers and you can sometimes get them for nothing, never thought I would enjoy it but there's something really relaxing about growing food that you could buy for far less from a Super Market. Chillies, Coriander, Garlic all taste far nicer though from your own Greenhouse.

I got two and an allotment with a shed !  I worked till I 69 and thought thats enough ! should have done it at 59 .

Edited by derbyduck

On 21/02/2020 at 10:26, hedge said:

How about doing some volunteering?

My mate Colin tried volunteering at one of these preserved railway societies when he retired but he didn't last long. He said the politics and the bitchiness was worse than being at work. It took him by surprise because he thought it would be all matey matey.

That's the danger with volunteering I am told

15 hours ago, AVB said:

the City isn’t a place for older (white) men any more. In fact if you are an older white man it is almost hostile. 

That's true of a lot of places these days, instead of being wise and experience you are just an old duffer. They would rather get rid of you and replace you with an intern

15 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

That's the danger with volunteering I am told

I think that is true of a lot of places.  I had intended to volunteer at a local National Trust property.  Two people I know volunteer there and both quite enjoy it - but both have also mentioned the 'politics'.  The reason I didn't is simply that I have more than enough to do in my own house/garden!

One thing that does interest a lot of people (especially those who aren't perhaps keen on DIY, carpentry etc.) in retirement is tracing family history and compiling a family tree.  Mine was done by an ancestor up to his 'lifetime' (1930 ish) and I have brought it up to date and added some photos of the places my ancestors lived.

On 20/02/2020 at 14:07, AVB said:

I thought I would see more of the wife but she is more often or not out with her friends  

Maybe have a conversation about whether there is anything the two of you could do together? I am a planner, and if my husband takes a week off and expects me to be waiting around for his attention he will be sadly disappointed, life has many demands on me and I have limited time. If your wife is a planner it might be worth suggesting that you make time together.  

Well i retired in 2002 when my wife died was 55 at the time best move i ever made my job was changing and not for the better..

Im 73 now and don't seem to be enough hours in the day play golf 2 0r 3 times a week weather permitted. Used to fish a lot mainly salmon with a few trips too rutland thrown in, but had to give that up not enough time. i shoot a lot  mainly pigeons crows fox and clays at the week end..

reload all my own cartridges for 12 gauge even make our own lead shot since 2008 also reload 223 plus 6.5x55  just sold my 308 and teaching the lad who bought it how to reload he comes one afternoon a week depending on his shifts.

Do a lot of rabbit shooting when there is any about hardly see any nowadays..

1 hour ago, hawkeye said:

Well i retired in 2002 when my wife died was 55 at the time best move i ever made my job was changing and not for the better..

Im 73 now and don't seem to be enough hours in the day play golf 2 0r 3 times a week weather permitted. Used to fish a lot mainly salmon with a few trips too rutland thrown in, but had to give that up not enough time. i shoot a lot  mainly pigeons crows fox and clays at the week end..

reload all my own cartridges for 12 gauge even make our own lead shot since 2008 also reload 223 plus 6.5x55  just sold my 308 and teaching the lad who bought it how to reload he comes one afternoon a week depending on his shifts.

I got tired just reading that!

Keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, hawkeye said:

sounds great !

Another thing you need to consider is your general health when you get into your late 50s and the early 60s , touch wood I have always been fairly fit and have never spent a night in hospital , but with me being a brick layer for most of my life it was beginning to take it's toll from mid 50s , one day I would be plastering a ceiling , the next might be tiling a floor and then the following day I might be laying bricks up to the damp course or putting in a run of drains .

At one time after a nights sleep I had no signs of aching joints then as I got older I was still feeling a bit stiff from the previous days work , this was when I made up my mind that my time in the building trade was going to finish when I reached 60 , as I couldn't see a lot of sense in putting money in the bank and then being in a partly disabled condition to enjoy it , now I haven't got a days work left in me and glad I made the right decision when I did .

On 24/02/2020 at 18:16, Cosmicblue said:

I'm fast approaching my 63rd birthday and have been pondering this retirement idea - I'll be honest and say it worries me a bit.   I'll shoot a couple of days a week, get on top of the DIY and then what?  I've stored up a couple of Pocher car kits...was a dream when I was 16 and bought them 20 years ago so that's something else.  In the last 30+ years of my working life I have travelled a lot and whilst there is a handful of places I'd still like to visit truthfully if I never saw the inside of another plane I wouldn't exactly be broken hearted.

I reflected on stuff that I'd never got to do/the opportunity wasn't there kind of thing and one of the activities where the box never got ticked was using the lathe/mill etc in school metalwork lessons...   Have done a bit of research and found this course: https://www.axminster.co.uk/skill-centre/engineering-courses/small-engineering-lathe-introduction-course   2 days, figured that I might enjoy it and if not then it's another skill acquired..... 

This retirement idea is going to require effort - I'm sure not going to wait around to die.

The important point is you must plan the transition. I have dropped two days a week and am now thinking about dropping more in three years when I hit the state pension age. Don’t let it just happen take control. Winter I am out picking up two or three days a week and Wildfowling. The rest of the year I am dog training and fishing. Add the usual household chores and gardening and that is time gone. I also do some community work and chair two organisations. Hell where does the time go. My saying is, I work three days a week, please myself three days a week and keep the good lord and my wife happy on Sundays.

On 24/02/2020 at 20:58, islandgun said:

No wonder you work so hard!

12 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

The important point is you must plan the transition. I have dropped two days a week and am now thinking about dropping more in three years when I hit the state pension age. Don’t let it just happen take control. Winter I am out picking up two or three days a week and Wildfowling. The rest of the year I am dog training and fishing. Add the usual household chores and gardening and that is time gone. I also do some community work and chair two organisations. Hell where does the time go. My saying is, I work three days a week, please myself three days a week and keep the good lord and my wife happy on Sundays.

No wonder you work so hard!

Thanks Dave, appreciated.