Home CCTV cost

Harry136

I have the Swann with up to 8 camera's pir on them and 1TB of recording, the app on the phone works there is no monthly costs only a small amount of electricity to run the recorder. 

Forgot to say its also plug and play so you can fit it yourself, easy to set up, mine is all in the loft and have an old small TV as a monitor the image's are extremely clear. 

Edited by B725

The swans are very good the apps on iPhone, ipad and windows 10 work well and playback is easy to use, also night vision is good quality. As said no running costs after purchase besides electric to power.

Worth the money, don't forget to put up some signage as its a good deterrent.

MIck

13 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

what’s the monthly running cost in terms of electricity?

running cost is very little as b725 says iv installed the swan for the company i work for the pic quality is very good, worrying about a small running cost doesn't compare to protecting your property

I never considered the cost just the protection and piece of mind.

How would you work out the cost, you'd need a degree in mathematics. Look at the wattage used by the camera, times that by the number of cameras, times that by 24 hours then how many units of electricity per watt and I've already lost myself. 

Brief answer is "Dunno"

🙊🙉🙈

6 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

Unfortunately the mrs wants exact figures for the electric cost before buying one

Good lick with that one then!

I don't even think swann could,tell you

as Centrepin says above!

also,depends upon the supply voltage which varies by the minute!......do,the cameras have PIRs on them?....this will also affect the cost

26 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

Unfortunately the mrs wants exact figures for the electric cost before buying one

Assuming you're talking about this kit quick google shows its power supply is 12 V, 2 A and it feeds the NVR and all the cameras via a splitter.

So...

12 x 2 = 24W output

Now obviously power supplies aren't 100% efficient, so it'll draw more than that, but...we're talking tenths of pence here so let's call it 30 W

How much is your electricity per unit?  Let's call it £0.15 kWh

Sooo:

0.030 kW x 24 h x £0.15 x 30 days = £3.24

Not. Worth. Worrying about.

And that's worst case, with a large fudge factor, etc.  I'm sure it will have low energy mode too.

Can a grown-up please check my working? 

I humbly suggest @Centrepin is over complicating things; you only need to look at the maximum the power supply can deliver for the 'worst case' scenario.

17 minutes ago, Diver One said:

also,depends upon the supply voltage which varies by the minute!

Eh??  We're not talking about large industrial motors here, it's a small switch mode power supply.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

Tell her it costs less than replacing her jewellery, and less than the hike in your home insurance premium! 

my Son bought mine after my car was vandalised. I run mine in a cupboard with a LCD monitor going 24-7 and connected to the router to allow remote viewing anywhere in the world. 

mine cost around £3.50 a month all in. 

Edited by Lord Geordie

23 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Assuming you're talking about this kit quick google shows its power supply is 12 V, 2 A and it feeds the NVR and all the cameras via a splitter.

So...

12 x 2 = 24W output

Now obviously power supplies aren't 100% efficient, so it'll draw more than that, but...we're talking tenths of pence here so let's call it 30 W

How much is your electricity per unit?  Let's call it £0.15 kWh

Sooo:

0.030 kW x 24 h x £0.15 x 30 days = £3.24

Not. Worth. Worrying about.

And that's worst case, with a large fudge factor, etc.  I'm sure it will have low energy mode too.

Can a grown-up please check my working? 

I humbly suggest @Centrepin is over complicating things; you only need to look at the maximum the power supply can deliver for the 'worst case' scenario.

Eh??  We're not talking about large industrial motors here, it's a small switch mode power supply.

It will likely be much less, as you are working out on the output current of the 12vdc psu the input wattage (240vac) will likely be much less than 24w

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:
9 hours ago, Diver One said:

Edited 9 hours ago by udderlyoffroad

Yep.....I know that BUT she wants EXACT figures so,all,factors have to,be considered 😂

if it was me I wouldn't be bothered as it's about £25/year if that