Ban on the sale of wet wood

old'un

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet another ill-thought policy, aimed at the woke.  I tend to use smokeless fuels but if wood is available, I'll use it.  We have no gas in the village and I will never convert to storage heaters.

Apparently Germany has just approved the build of a coal-fired power station. What is the point of us doing these things in isolation?

We have two 1.25m3 loads of kiln dried hardwood logs delivered on a plastic wrapped pallet every winter. The wood has been dried down to between 10 and 15% moisture content and is perfect for our wood burner. It is expensive but well worth it. Instant heat rather than energy being used up drying out wet logs.

2 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

Yet another ill-thought policy, aimed at the woke.  I tend to use smokeless fuels but if wood is available, I'll use it.  We have no gas in the village and I will never convert to storage heaters.

Apparently Germany has just approved the build of a coal-fired power station. What is the point of us doing these things in isolation?

No doubt being close to Poland they will exploit their position while we wander off into the wilderness?

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Mate, this is getting out of hand, The UK will be the only country in the world to ban

Solid fuel

Petrol, diesel. hybrid cars

Shooting/field sports

Meat eating

Agriculture

The rest of the world will carry on as usual..😠

Absolutely true!

I collect, season, cut and split my own firewood. Stack it for min 12 months to season before burning. Trying to burn wet wood is a pain, difficult to light, difficult to keep going and little heat output for your efforts, plus your stove and lum just end up sooting up.

Just now, bigmcg said:

I collect, season, cut and split my own firewood. Stack it for min 12 months to season before burning. Trying to burn wet wood is a pain, difficult to light, difficult to keep going and little heat output for your efforts, plus your stove and lum just end up sooting up.

This … Nordic countries have a strong wood burning tradition, but wouldn't entertain burning it wet.

It makes perfect sense to ban the sale of it.

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Most wood offered for sale around here is advertised a 'kiln dried' or 'seasoned'. If you have your own supply then I don't see how it's enforceable. 

Yep, it will be interesting to know how they will police people with their own or local supply of wood.

First off .how do you define wet wood .? 

It must i guess be taken as above a specific moisture content ..and as any body who knows about drying wood (i do ) it drys if allowed to air  dry slowly and un uniformly .achiving (depending on the species )and out of the rain .to around 20  % on the surface,  more deeper in .

If kiln dried (expensive process) it can be dried faster and to a lower moisture content  again depending on species .and size /thickness of the timber .

This makes it great for buring if you want it to release  all its energy quickly .if you want a slower more consant heat (most people do .) Then a low moisture content of around 10 %isnt great .for home use .

As far as testing a piece of wood for its moisture content .most testers will only read the moisture to a depth of around 20 mm a deeper probe possibly achiving 30 mm .

Compare this to a 8 inch thick log where the moisture on the surface may read 20 % after a year in a shed to the core which may be still as high as 50 % 

And you have a totally un enforceable law that misses the point .

I've posted this on here before, round London 'poor' people burn skip wood and old pallets. There is a window company about a mile from where I live, they put all the old wooden window frames and door frames in a skip out the back. People come and take it away  to burn it on their fires. They are not going to stop.

2 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Ok no coal more demand for logs , means more trees cut down , means less trees to capture  co2  , means  possible  more flooding  . 

As long as new trees are planted to replace those cut down it will actually give an increase in CO2 capture, young trees when growing capture significantly more CO2 than mature trees.

I think wet wood refers to the bags or nets you get from petrol stations and supermarkets.  As far as I'm aware it's the sale of that which is being phased out, rather than an expectation for self gathered wood to be seasoned to a particular level.

Sad to see that house coal is to go though, I love our coal fire.

14 minutes ago, Zapp said:

I think wet wood refers to the bags or nets you get from petrol stations and supermarkets.  As far as I'm aware it's the sale of that which is being phased out, rather than an expectation for self gathered wood to be seasoned to a particular level.

Sad to see that house coal is to go though, I love our coal fire.

You could always buy an old mine!:rolleyes:

I have two Clearview stoves and burn wood I have seasoned myself for at least two years. I could take the top off either of them and guarantee that all there will be in the chiney base will be a handful of very fine white ash if that and I have not had the top off for over twelve months.  I cut split and store my wood in covered areas and move sufficient for a winters burning into our old stable for imediate use.  I have about five years supply laid up, mainly oak and ash with some willow, cherry and sweet chestnut.  My starting wood is mainly old pallets cut and split and stored indoors. I have a storage bin which lasts me a complete winter.I wonder if the Fire Police will also put a stop to the horse owner up wind of us who daily burns straw and horse hair spreading the stink through the village.   

011.jpg