Ban on the sale of wet wood

old'un

2 hours ago, JDog said:

We have two 1.25m3 loads of kiln dried hardwood logs delivered on a plastic wrapped pallet every winter. The wood has been dried down to between 10 and 15% moisture content and is perfect for our wood burner. It is expensive but well worth it. Instant heat rather than energy being used up drying out wet logs.

Shipped from Eastern Europe. Saving the planet again.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Zapp said:

I think wet wood refers to the bags or nets you get from petrol stations and supermarkets.  As far as I'm aware it's the sale of that which is being phased out, rather than an expectation for self gathered wood to be seasoned to a particular level.

Sad to see that house coal is to go though, I love our coal fire.

You can still use smokeless fuel like Welsh anthracite, just not the cheap 'dirty' high sulphur icoal they sell in petrol stations. Should be a bit of a boost for the few remaining South Wales coal mines

To be fair, all the reports I have seen focus on the sale rather than the use

Edited by Vince Green

So the difference between a wet log and a dry log is ..... water  .its easier to burn quicker and more completely a dry log .

So a dry log will release more co2 into the amosphere and as it burns faster you will actually burn more of it during the day than you would a wet log .

Soooooo .they should ban the sale of dry wood .and allow wet .OR  actually just    pAss off .and leave alone  .

4 minutes ago, rellum said:

Great timing We have just installed a wood burner with back boiler to run all our heating and hot water 

Just re-read the article and the part below is interesting and makes you wonder why they even bothered bringing a ban in, if you can source your own wood your good to go, but you will not be able to buy any, crazy.

“The new rules will only apply to the sale, distributing and marketing of wet wood and it will not be illegal to own or burn wet wood after the cut-off date”

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Just re-read the article and the part below is interesting and makes you wonder why they even bothered bringing a ban in, if you can source your own wood your good to go, but you will not be able to buy any, crazy.

“The new rules will only apply to the sale, distributing and marketing of wet wood and it will not be illegal to own or burn wet wood after the cut-off date”

That’s good news as We don’t buy wood saw it up myself and log it up Friend has woodland and the weather we have just experienced has kept me busy chopping it up from fallen trees 🌲 

12 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Seems to be aimed at petrol stations. At least that's what it would be round here

Think it will effect anyone selling “wet wood” couple of guys I know go around cutting trees down also wind fall trees, they cut it into logs and sell it by the truck load and its wet wood.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have two Clearview stoves and burn wood I have seasoned myself for at least two years. I could take the top off either of them and guarantee that all there will be in the chiney base will be a handful of very fine white ash if that and I have not had the top off for over twelve months.  I cut split and store my wood in covered areas and move sufficient for a winters burning into our old stable for imediate use.  I have about five years supply laid up, mainly oak and ash with some willow, cherry and sweet chestnut.  My starting wood is mainly old pallets cut and split and stored indoors. I have a storage bin which lasts me a complete winter.I wonder if the Fire Police will also put a stop to the horse owner up wind of us who daily burns straw and horse hair spreading the stink through the village.   

011.jpg

That is an impressive wood pile and operation, very jealous! 

1 hour ago, simonm said:

Indeed, and the book "Norwegian Wood" is a strangely interesting read.

A good description, of a fascinating book.

This whole thing sounds a total nonsense, the only pain in the **** thing for myself is that every so often I buy a large quantity of wet wood from a tree surgeon (suits us both), relatively cheaply, then saw, split and season it myself.  And as someone else pointed out, most of my kindling comes from dismantled pallets (presumably end of life pallets are burned anyway?).

Cant say I’ve seen any sort of enforcement of any smokeless-coal-only areas, ever. 

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Think it will effect anyone selling “wet wood” couple of guys I know go around cutting trees down also wind fall trees, they cut it into logs and sell it by the truck load and its wet wood.

I think all "tree surgeons" sell off their logs. Good point I hadn't thought of that

2 hours ago, kennett said:

That's irrelevant, put them in the ground and off they go, it's the growing up to mature trees that absorbs most Co2. The rate declines with age and their growth rate slows down.

It can take upto a 100 years for a hardwood tree to grow to maturity  . A lot of trees will be cut down in that time .

I understood that the policy was nothing to do with carbon but rather to reduce the rate of lung disease, childhood asthma and lung cancer. The problem is not great in rural areas where the pollution is quickly diluted but is of particular concern in urban and suburban areas. Wood burners have become very popular again, to the detriment of air quality. I used to live in a Smoke Control Area and could only burn smokeless fuel from a certified smoke-free stove. I now live on the rural fringe and unfortunately we are bycatch in a national policy. 

However I for one am willing to shoulder some personal inconvenience for the greater good of my countrymen. 

https://www.lung.ca/news/advocacy-tools/our-position-statements/residential-wood-burning

5 hours ago, snow white said:

The wife and myself watched a program about Russia the other day there iron works turn out more armful emissions in a day than the uk does in a week what is the point of we trying to save the world when other countries don’t give a fxxxxx 

Yep but we have to be seen to do more than anywhere else? Mainly by making more noise about it then anyone else?

In this media age it's not about the end result but the bull dung spouted about the journey?

Nothing but electric everything, bring it on?