Ban on the sale of wet wood

old'un

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello, there are 1000s of retired people living in the country side on the minimum income and live in houses with only an open fire to keep warm, even Houses owned by the National Trust, i met someone last year who lives in such a cottage with his wife  2 up 2 down with open fire,  and he told me what they have to pay rent PHEW!!!!!! I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL JUST CARRY ON USING ANY WOOD, cannot see how they can stop anyone, and there is more pollution from city folks range rovers!!!!!

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, there are 1000s of retired people living in the country side on the minimum income and live in houses with only an open fire to keep warm, even Houses owned by the National Trust, i met someone last year who lives in such a cottage with his wife  2 up 2 down with open fire,  and he told me what they have to pay rent PHEW!!!!!! I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL JUST CARRY ON USING ANY WOOD, cannot see how they can stop anyone, and there is more pollution from city folks range rovers!!!!!

hello, there will be a lot of people out cutting fallen trees after these storms, see it often around here, cars and trailors/vans/ cars/ but i go back to my original post how are the above going to heat their homes or ones they rent

14 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

how are the above going to heat their homes or ones they rent

If they rent a home - it is particularly difficult as 'investing' in improved heating/insulation doesn't have the same attraction - because the landlord may not allow changes and at best you are improving the landlords property ...... at your expense.

About 5 years ago I embarked on a major refurbishment/upgrade of my house - which was to include full rewiring and replumbing.  I did a significant amount of research on how to make the house comfortable and sensibly cost effective for my long term future there.  I have mains gas.  A quick summary below;

I started out with two separate gas heating systems, both quite efficient condensing boilers - one quite modern, the other old and though reliable getting hard to get parts, very old (mostly 30 to 50 years old) radiators, old gas AgA and two quite modern 'fully glassed in' gas fires.

I wanted to end up with one large zoned heating system, as economical as reasonably possible to run in what is a large, old, listed, but quite well insulated (for its type) house, and take the rest to suit that in the most economical way based on a 20 year service life.  The house has a heat 'demand' of 40 KW.

I looked at the following fuel/heat sources;

• Electric heat pump: Air sources has no good location and to give 40 KW is pushing it for this type.  Low flow temperatures mean very large radiator surface areas, underfloor was not practical given the building type and listed status.  It also didn't suit my (then) lifestyle of being out most of the day.  Ground source would have been better, and though I have 'adequate' area, it is heavily infested with tree roots from protected trees.  Initial costs were VERY high, and running costs estimated to be low to moderate.
  • Wood pellet:  No suitable accommodation for boiler (flues especially) and fuel storage.  Uncertain future pricing.  Very high initial costs, and low to moderate running costs - but subject to uncertain pricing in future.
  • Wood logs:  Similar to pellets and a thermal store was also impossible to accommodate without other major space problems.  I do have access to cheap/free wood.  Very high initial costs, and very low to low running costs - assuming access to free supply remains.  'Work' probably too much for me as I get older.
  • Mains gas: Cheapest to install, most flexible to operate - and low(ish) running costs.  At the time - gas was considered 'politically' correct.
  • Oil and bottled/tanked gas were ruled out as being similar but more expensive to mains gas.
  • Localised log burners would be nice, but less practical for me 'day to day' and there are flue issues to overcome which add significantly to the costs.

I went mains gas with a 42KW Worcester Bosch and all new (generously sized) radiators allowing lowish water flow/return temperature giving improved efficiency.  Ditched the gas AgA (vastly expensive work needed to replace obsolete burner and very costly and difficult bring flue up to modern regulations) and have electric induction cooking - which is very good indeed.  I retained and added to the room gas fires (up from 2 to 3) which give a fallback in the event of mains power failure and are a nice source of radiant (rather than convected) heat with convenience and moderate running costs.

I appreciate that this is not always possible - and needs significant investment.  What I do when the current boiler expires and I can't get a replacement remains to be seen.

On 21/02/2020 at 10:24, islandgun said:

Mate, this is getting out of hand, The UK will be the only country in the world to ban

Solid fuel

Petrol, diesel. hybrid cars

Shooting/field sports

Meat eating

Agriculture

The rest of the world will carry on as usual..😠

And the tree huggers will still be protesting here. 

53 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, there will be a lot of people out cutting fallen trees after these storms, see it often around here, cars and trailors/vans/ cars/ but i go back to my original post how are the above going to heat their homes or ones they rent

If/when coal is banned in Scotland, without gas and with numerous power cuts and given the few logs we grow, it'll be cutting peat for us

5 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

And the tree huggers will still be protesting here. 

Im sure they will find something !  clothing, house size, electric cars and bikes, children ! .... get em banned

The Councils have powers to prevent anyone causing a nuisance through wood and coal smoke already and do sometimes use them.  Bought a wood burner from Burnley where a bloke had been Stasi 'd up by his neighbours.

You can't ban the sale of wet wood.   People buy it to dry it out, just got six tons in for winter 2003, its getting wetter out there just now.

Trouble is, twee faux country wannabes install wood burners in their houses in town and smoke the street out.   And ride around in Chelsea chariots.   This ripoff of county ways needs to be laughed out of town so we can enjoy what we need to survive out here.

Don't encourage bans on anything though, because what you love will be next.  Tolerance and goodwill is the way.

16 minutes ago, nabbers said:

You can't ban the sale of wet wood.

To be fair, they are to ban the sale of wet wood in volumes less than 2 cubic metres.  I'm guess ing the assumption is that someone who buys a larger quantity will manage the wood drying etc.

My neighbour has a structured wood plan where he dries it (2 seasons I think?) and has a carefully thought out plan for the future supply.  It never bothers me with smoke despite me being 'downwind' on most days, the way the prevailing wind blows.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

It seems clear maybe that the policy makers really don't give a rodents rear end  how ordinary people keep warm?

What is certain, is that the elite will have everything supplied 5 star from the public purse so have no need to care?