Lost wheel locking nut key

Lloyd90

So I have my car serviced a good 11 months ago, after which they told me the tires were low and I had them put 4 new ones on the car. 

I never checked that the wheel locking nut key was put back (I know I should have). I assumed this basic task would just be done. 

The other week I then had the car in for service (I haven’t touched any tyres since, as no need to). The garage phoned to say I hadn’t left the key in the car... I told them they changed it last and they said they’d have a look around ... they never found it and just did what they could. 

Anyways I now need to find a replacement. I don’t hold any hope for the garage sorting it... it’s my fault for not checking tbh. 

Anyways I’ was told by Ford there might be A card in the glove with a code on but there’s isn’t ... so what’s the next options? 

The main dealer can source you one by the reg number which quickly allows them to get the chassis number. 

You really need to have a proper look around the car as ultimately it’s likely to be in there somewhere. 

If all else fails most back street garages can chisel the nut off which then allows you to buy a replacement pack from factors. 

2 minutes ago, Hamster said:

The main dealer can source you one by the reg number which quickly allows them to get the chassis number. 

You really need to have a proper look around the car as ultimately it’s likely to be in there somewhere. 

If all else fails most back street garages can chisel the nut off which then allows you to buy a replacement pack from factors. 

They told me that there is a card (like a credit card) with a code on when the car comes and you use that code to order a new one. I have looked but it's not in the glove box and I bought the car second hand.

Are you sure they can find the right key size with my reg? That would be a lot easier. 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

They told me that there is a card (like a credit card) with a code on when the car comes and you use that code to order a new one. I have looked but it's not in the glove box and I bought the car second hand.

Are you sure they can find the right key size with my reg? That would be a lot easier. 

Different manufactures have different means of recording the locking nuts code, clearly if the card is missing then the only routes left are either 1) having a forceful chat wiv the service manager who may or may not be a helpful person or 2) chisel them off and buy a £15-£20 Halford’s type replacement.

I refuse to believe Ford are incapable of ordering the correct nut by some means other than the card ! 

Sometimes these nuts have to come from another country such as Italy and can take several weeks of waiting, effectively saying they don’t care about your problem - chisel is your friend methinks. 

1 minute ago, walshie said:

How can they prove they did though? I'd at least want them to go 50/50 on any costs incurred. 

Your more of an optimist than me :P 

https://www.fordlockingwheelnuts.co.uk/ 

Just found this site above, says jsut send them a pic of the nut and they can identify which model it is from the pic and send a replacment. Might give them a go. 

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Your more of an optimist than me  

https://www.fordlockingwheelnuts.co.uk/ 

Just found this site above, says jsut send them a pic of the nut and they can identify which model it is from the pic and send a replacment. Might give them a go. 

That has to be the easiest solution.

I doubt the garage will be very forthcoming after so long.

But Lloyd you have learned a valuable lesson, haven't you?

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That has to be the easiest solution.

I doubt the garage will be very forthcoming after so long.

But Lloyd you have learned a valuable lesson, haven't you?

Yes... trust no one 😬 

And just because something is incredibly obvious and simple, don’t expect someone to do it!! 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

When I worked at a Salvage Yard we never even bothered to look for the supplied socket - 2 lb lump hammer and a hardened socket was all we ever used.

+1 to this method if all else fails.

In the past I've taken the locking nuts off and replaced them with standard nuts. They are more hassle than they are worth.

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Both my cards are stuck in the service books.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Take it to a national tyre firm they will have a socket set up with the head types for the removal of the nuts ora socket with a thread inside that takes them off replace with ordinary nuts 

imagine having a puncture miles from anywhere in the middle of the night and it’s raining 🤭🙁🙁

They’d probably charge more than ordering a new nut for £38. 

5 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

+1 to this method if all else fails.

In the past I've taken the locking nuts off and replaced them with standard nuts. They are more hassle than they are worth.

That is exactly what I done , I was going to a shoot one morning and my tire was virtually flat, this was a little after 8am and when I got there they didn't open till 8.30 which would have made me late , so all the gear came out of my boot for me to get the spare on . time I done it I chucked everything back in the motor except the locking nut that I had left on the spare wheel when I drove off , the following day I walked back down the road and there was no sign of it and I had to get a new tire on the one that was flat , I told the bloke at the tire center that I had lost the locking nut and he said no problem , he went through the different sockets until he found one that was a bit on the tight side ( like me ) and gave it a whack and low and behold the stud came off , to cut a long story short , I went up the scrapyard and he gave me four normal studs for a pound a piece , I then went back to the tire center and the chap took the other three off , I gave him a fiver , so the whole job cost £9 and I never had any more problems .