Lost wheel locking nut key

Lloyd90

1 hour ago, db135 said:

locking wheel nuts vein of my life wish they were banned 

On that note may I suggest that you don't replace the locking nuts. No one steals wheels from Fords or any other popular car.

p.s. I have a set of Mazda lock nuts (with key) if anyone's interested...

I honestly cannot remember if I have ever seen a report of alloy wheels being stolen, ever. Not in 17 years and thousands and thousands of crime reports. I'm sure it happens but I've never seen it. None of my cars have locking wheel nuts on. 

Most are relatively generic and a new one can be sourced easily. Halfords use to sell a fair few last time i looked. 

A lot of tyre centres and mechanics have a special socket that has a left hand thread inside it, when used with an impact gun it will cut into the wheel nut/bolt and tighten on. Once it's on the impact gun just undoes the nut as it's running counter clockwise to the nut/bolt threads. Very effective. Personally I've removed quite a few with a standard hand drill and some sufficiently large anti social drill bits

I have the same problem. Before taking my car for a service & mot this week, I checked and no locking wheel key, it is always in my car. Then I remembered my partner took it to have brake pads and discs replaced last year at Halfords and I suspect they didn't replace it and on collection my partner didn't check. I am hoping they have a box somewhere where they save left ones. I do feel it is the garages responsibility to replace it where they found it when they have finished. Typically I didn't check until 6 months later! The mechanic who completed the service explained that he was unable to remove them with a hammer and socket because the outer bit of the nut spinned, so that doesn't appear an option for me. Fingers crossed Halfords still have it as I don't think I have the code and need a new clutch :(

On 28/02/2020 at 12:27, cullie2000 said:

I have the same problem. Before taking my car for a service & mot this week, I checked and no locking wheel key, it is always in my car. Then I remembered my partner took it to have brake pads and discs replaced last year at Halfords and I suspect they didn't replace it and on collection my partner didn't check. I am hoping they have a box somewhere where they save left ones. I do feel it is the garages responsibility to replace it where they found it when they have finished. Typically I didn't check until 6 months later! The mechanic who completed the service explained that he was unable to remove them with a hammer and socket because the outer bit of the nut spinned, so that doesn't appear an option for me. Fingers crossed Halfords still have it as I don't think I have the code and need a new clutch 😞

You smash the outer ring off that spins then hammer a socket on, any decent mechanic should know that