Suggstions Needed for Unusual Shotguns

Hodgson

I've a couple of "different" guns in my cabinet and the most expensive of which cost me £260 from Southam's back in 2019. They are a 16 Bore Manufrance Fusil Robust 28E and (the Southam's purchase) a 12 Bore Manufrance Fusil Robust 28E.

The same model but one 12 and one 16.

I've had the 16 for maybe thirty years. The "different" thing is that whilst both are side-by-side ejectors they are also both "easy openers" using a system similar to Holland's spring tube and will self open if opened when not fired, self open and eject when one cartridge is fired and easy open when both cartridges are fired.

Other "different" guns that I've had are the Greener GP (everybody at some time other should own, at least once, a Greener GP) and Browning's famous Auto-5. Which I've had at various times in 16 Bore and 12 Bore.

And again everybody should own at some time or other a side-by-side hammergun. If you want to go fully in to that experience (I wouldn't necessarily call it a joyful experience but whatever) you can buy commercial black powder cartridges that are being already loaded exempt from your needing a Blackpowder Licence and as most are often nitro proof you can use modern cartridges where you're restricted to such.

And whilst the days of the £20 hammer gun have long gone, mostly; using and using correctly a top lever hammer gun is an enjoyable thing as long as you don't get the guinea seat on a driven day and start to wish you'd brought a hammerless ejector instead as the pheasants pass over you unmolested to the displeasure of the beating team .

Think outside the box. There's superb Japanese made Miroku side-by-side boxlock ejectors, BSA made "W prefix" boxlock ejectors that were used to train RAF air gunners, Japanese single selective trigger side-by-side boxlock ejectors and a whole host of such under £150. Even the old Baikal 2 3/4" Magnum pistol gripped guns with green coloured actions are "different". 

Have a look through Holt's or Southam's. You'll find something. And with Holt's their resident gunsmith Scott Wilson can get the thing serviced and sorted before you collect.

Edited by enfieldspares

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

To take it down you have to hit...yes, hit...the muzzles of the barrel onto a hard floor.

I have a Darne; the above is certainly not true for mine.

• Open the breech
  • Place stock on the floor/table
  • Press the button (under the action and about where the hinge pin would be on a normal s/s)
  • Tap the muzzles with the palm of the hand - and the barrels slide back and off.

If anytrhing, because there are only two parts, not 3, it is faster than a normal s/s or o/u.

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a Darne; the above is certainly not true for mine.

• Open the breech
  • Place stock on the floor/table
  • Press the button (under the action and about where the hinge pin would be on a normal s/s)
  • Tap the muzzles with the palm of the hand - and the barrels slide back and off.

If anytrhing, because there are only two parts, not 3, it is faster than a normal s/s or o/u.

I agree that having taken my pal's Darne apart a few times, a gentle tap of the muzzles after pressing that button under the action removes the barrels from the action very easily. However, surely there are still 3 parts, the sliding breech which comes off first, the barrels and the action.

OB

Just now, Old Boggy said:

However, surely there are still 3 parts, the sliding breech which comes off first, the barrels and the action.

There can by three parts, but the original poster was talking about taking the gun down to put in the car.  I don't take the sliding breech off then (it doesn't change the length of ability to put in a case).  In fact I almost never take the sliding breech off.  I genuinely believe it is at least as quick if not quicker to separate the barrels than on a normal s/s or o/u.

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

There can by three parts, but the original poster was talking about taking the gun down to put in the car.  I don't take the sliding breech off then (it doesn't change the length of ability to put in a case).  In fact I almost never take the sliding breech off.  I genuinely believe it is at least as quick if not quicker to separate the barrels than on a normal s/s or o/u.

Not owning a Darne I can only speak from what I have done with my pal's, i.e removed the breech and then the barrels.

I didn't fully realise that the barrels can be removed without removing the sliding breech, so many thanks for clarifying that. I assume that my pal realises it though.

Thanks again John,

OB

6 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I didn't fully realise that the barrels can be removed without removing the sliding breech, so many thanks for clarifying that.

The barrels only need to move back about 3/8" to be removed.  Once the sliding breech is opened and slides back, there is loads of room (probably 3" plus as there is room for an opened out 2 3/4" cartridge).

15 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The barrels only need to move back about 3/8" to be removed.  Once the sliding breech is opened and slides back, there is loads of room (probably 3" plus as there is room for an opened out 2 3/4" cartridge).

Yes, that makes perfect sense now. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Zapp said:

A Sjogren would be my choice, but all the ones I've seen are S1.

Sjogren is my choice as I have three of them. You can find them S2 but they are few and far between. I managed to get two on S2 and the third is being converted from S1 to S2. 

Walther Toggle shotgun would be my next choice.

4BDD2773-B855-455A-82E2-033618DCC454.jpeg

Edited by SPAS 15

1 hour ago, SPAS 15 said:

Sjogren is my choice as I have three of them. You can find them S2 but they are few and far between. I managed to get two on S2 and the third is being converted from S1 to S2. 

Walther Toggle shotgun would be my next choice.

4BDD2773-B855-455A-82E2-033618DCC454.jpeg

Very nice!

22 hours ago, Spoon said:

Akkar Triple Crown? Tri barrel in 12g, 20g, 28g, or 410. My dad picked one up at the shooting show

Did your dad pick one up in .410? I had a look at one which came with extended chokes at the show, I think Francis Lovell was selling it, but by the time I had pondered it had gone. 

Edited by Taileron

2 hours ago, Taileron said:

Did your dad pick one up in .410? I had a look at one which came with extended chokes at the show, I think Francis Lovell was selling it, but by the time I had pondered it had gone. 

That's the one! I'd found it online and knew he'd buy it the moment I showed him at the show. He eventually caved a couple of hours later. He spent the last two days sorting out the chokes (only one would go in all barrels, the others only fit one barrel) and cleaning the fore end which had a couple of cracks so I think there were a few niggles that were reflected in the price. 

He loves it though - I think its something that works better in .410 than anything larger.

8 hours ago, Sco77w said:

Yep, what ☝️Said. I’m hoping to add one to my little colllection at some point. 

Just be aware that altering the stock of a Darne to fit can be impossible.  This is because they cannot be 'bent' in the usual way due to the way they are attached by a long screw through from the rear of the action.  Lengthening, shortening, or shaving a little off can be done, but cast and comb height can be harder.

• 2 weeks later...